none
Needed: synchronization via pen drive RRS feed

• Question

• I use SyncToy to sync two computers not connected by network. I proceed by first syncing 1st pc with pen drive and then syncing pen drive with 2nd pc. I suppose this is not uncommon scenario and SyncToy could be extended to handle this with more inteligence. When I was still thinking of building my own sync tool, I came up with an idea of "via" synchronization (an extra option along with three basic types synchronize, echo, contribute), where removable media would serve as dumb storage for two-step process and not as active folder. This way or another, two-step syncing should be accounted for.

Saturday, December 27, 2008 2:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Carsten,

Thank you for describing the scenario. Now I understand it better.

Yes, That's a great idea.

I will let the project owner know your suggestion.

Thanks a lot!

Jin

Monday, December 29, 2008 11:02 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Good suggestion, I tried syncToy for this scenarios and find that

Though a little more steps needed to setup, the current version SyncToy supports this scenarios as well.

I have Folder1   <->  FolderX  <-> Folder2

First create a folder pair#1 and do sync from Folder1 with FolderX,

Then create a folder pair#2 and do sync from FolderX with Folder2,

then make some changes under Folder2, sync with #2, then with #1, changes are applied to folder1.

Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:37 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Jin,

this might be a way but how to deal with an situation where you want to sync two directory structures on two PCs which are quite larger then the USB device you are using to transport the files but changes only slowly. Imagine the following situation:

- directory structure is 100 GB large

- daily changes are 1 GB

- USB device is 4 GB large

- you want to sync the directory structure once a day

When doing this you manualy you would copy only changed files (1GB) to the USB device (4GB)  as copying all files to USB (100GB) is not an option. Would be great if sync toy could preproduce this behaivior.

Best Regards

Carsten

Monday, December 29, 2008 5:25 PM
  • Hi Carsten,

Thank you for describing the scenario. Now I understand it better.

Yes, That's a great idea.

I will let the project owner know your suggestion.

Thanks a lot!

Jin

Monday, December 29, 2008 11:02 PM
    Answerer
  • I have been using a little application called VU Brief (http://www.vu-brief.spb.ru/eng/) for some years. I has just this functionality and I have become absolutely dependent on it. Unfortunately it doesn't work with Windows Vista on my new machine, so I would certainly be very keen to hear of any developments which require only the incremental changes to be stored on the USB drive. If I can help I'd be glad to.

Cecil
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 10:56 PM
  • I've been using VU-brief forever as well, pretty much daily, and it just boggles my mind that no one else has come up with the same functionality.. It just seems to be such a basic and simply idea NOT TO COPY ALL the data on a movable temporary storage (like a USB drive or whatever), but copy just the data that is OUT OF SYNC! There are tons of situations when two computers are not connected on the network and it's just easier to use a portable carrier drive. Also, a lot of times this would actually be the ONLY option, really, considering that hard drives are HUGE these days (hundreds of gigs) and portable carriers are only few gigs. And the out of sync data rarely exceeds few hundred megs in my case. VU-Brief also compresses the out of sync data on a portable carrier and encrypts it, beautiful! It can also use FTP server, direct connection etc...

Another problem with the "vu-brief" (apart from not running on Win Vista) is that it requires a registration renewal now and then and the last  time I tried to do it the renewal didn't go thru it at all for some unknown reason. So then the program starts delaying syncing process for longer and longer periods of time before each sync until you reregister, a huge hassle.

Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:02 PM
  • The web site http://www.vu-brief.spb.ru/unlimited_key.htm has an unlimited key, since I think the developer has long moved to pastures new. I didn't realise VU-Brief encrpts the data which is out of sync, but the compression is defnitely a great idea.

When you are establishing a sync pair you really need to have a network connection to establish what the common files are, but even that can be worked around by progressively adding (sub)directories.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 10:04 PM
  • Thank you VERY MUCH for the key hint! Since I am avoiding Vista, I am all set for now!

I didn't quite get your point about having to have a network connection.. I just dump all directories I want to sync in a briefcase, take it home,  add directories from a home computer, and make pairs.

Also, I was probably wrong about encryption. It does use its own compression program and you can lock it up with a password.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 9:46 PM
  •  it just boggles my mind that no one else has come up with the same functionality.. It just seems to be such a basic and simply idea NOT TO COPY ALL the data on a movable temporary storage (like a USB drive or whatever), but copy just the data that is OUT OF SYNC!
    Until Synctoy hopefully adds such functionality, you might also try SynchronizeIt!

http://www.grigsoft.com/wndsync.htm

It's package feature does exactly what you're looking for. Unfortunately, it's not freeware, but quite cheap, and it has a trial period.

• Proposed as answer by Carsten Scherb Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:13 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 7:12 PM