Windows 7 Upgrade on replacement computer RRS feed

• Question

• When I purchased my HP desktop, it had Windows XP on it, and I had to burn recovery discs for it since HP did not provide an XP installation disc. I recently purchased the Windows 7 upgrade and installed it. Shortly after, the computer died (hardware issue) and I purchased a Macintosh as a replacement, wishing to use half of its hard drive for the Windows 7 installation (Using Boot Camp). Unfortunately, the HP recovery discs will not install on any computer other than the original HP model (I hate recovery discs). Since this is all HP provided me with, and since Windows 7 upgrade will not install without my first installing XP or Vista, how am I to reinstall my software? Thanks.
    • Edited by Roadstar1602 Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:45 AM Typo
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:42 AM

Answers

• "Roadstar1602" wrote in message news:bfb85a02-a8c8-4a1b-8bd5-018b2e61f141...
    When I purchased my HP desktop, it had Windows XP on it, and I had to burn recovery discs for it since HP did not provide an XP installation disc. I recently purchased the Windows 7 upgrade and installed it. Shortly after, the computer died (hardware issue) and I purchased a Macintosh as a replacement, wishing to use half of its hard drive for the Windows 7 installation (Using Boot Camp). Unfortunately, the HP recovery discs will not install on any computer other than the original HP model (I hate recovery discs). Since this is all HP provided me with, and since Windows 7 upgrade will not install without my first installing XP or Vista, how am I to reinstall my software? Thanks.

You can't install an upgrade version.
    The original HP license was tied to the original motherboard and cannot be moved to a new machine.
    You will have to purchase a Full Retail license for Win 7 if you wish to use Win 7 in either BootCamp or Parallels.
    You can sell your existing Upgrade copy if  you want to recoup some of your costs - make sure that it's uninstalled from the original PC first, and that you include all the packaging, etc in the sale.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:24 PM
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 7:25 AM
  • Please see Microsoft North American Retail Product Refund Guidelines for instructions on how to return your Windows 7 Upgrade version for a complete refund.  Afterward, you'll need to purchase a "Full License" edition of Windows 7.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, December 10, 2010 7:46 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 6:32 AM

All replies

• "Roadstar1602" wrote in message news:bfb85a02-a8c8-4a1b-8bd5-018b2e61f141...
    When I purchased my HP desktop, it had Windows XP on it, and I had to burn recovery discs for it since HP did not provide an XP installation disc. I recently purchased the Windows 7 upgrade and installed it. Shortly after, the computer died (hardware issue) and I purchased a Macintosh as a replacement, wishing to use half of its hard drive for the Windows 7 installation (Using Boot Camp). Unfortunately, the HP recovery discs will not install on any computer other than the original HP model (I hate recovery discs). Since this is all HP provided me with, and since Windows 7 upgrade will not install without my first installing XP or Vista, how am I to reinstall my software? Thanks.

You can't install an upgrade version.
    The original HP license was tied to the original motherboard and cannot be moved to a new machine.
    You will have to purchase a Full Retail license for Win 7 if you wish to use Win 7 in either BootCamp or Parallels.
    You can sell your existing Upgrade copy if  you want to recoup some of your costs - make sure that it's uninstalled from the original PC first, and that you include all the packaging, etc in the sale.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:24 PM
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 7:25 AM
  • I hope there is a better answer than this out there, otherwise I guess I'm done with Microsoft. There is no reason that I should have to pay for the same very expensive software twice just because my computer broke down. If my car breaks down, I'm not expected to buy a new driver's license. I've already paid for a license to drive one car at a time, just as I'm already licensed to use Windows 7 one computer at a time. There is no reason to pay for it again.
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Hello Roadstar1602,

Noel gave you a 100% accurate answer...there is no "better" answer. 

You wrote, "There is no reason that I should have to pay for the same very expensive software twice just because my computer broke down."  The key is that this is not the "same software."

You purchased an upgrade license for W7, which requires that there be a previous installation of a qualifying Windows Operating System on the computer...that previous license is the thing being upgraded.  The End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for the HP XP installation does not permit moving the HP license to any other computer, and a the Mac OS certainly does not consitute a qualifying operating system, so from a licensing perspective, there is no foundation from which to upgrade.

Had you purchased a full retail license for W7, you could abandon the old HP to the junk heap and install your full retail license on another W-Intel computer; or on your Mac either via BootCamp or Parallels (but not both at the same time).

If you think Microsoft's licensing terms are onerous, just try to install Mac OS 10.whatever on a non-Apple manufactured computer....that alone violates the licensing terms.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 7:28 PM
  • This may be the policy but that doesn't make it right. I have already paid for both XP and Windows 7 upgrade, and therefore I have earned the right to install them on my new computer. That's the bottom line. Probably $100 of the purchase price of my HP went toward paying for the XP license. Maybe more, I don't know the exact number. This is wrong any way you look at it. Again I use the driver's license as an example. I don't have to buy a new driver's license just because I bought a new car. I can even transfer my old license plates to the new car, as well as my insurance policy. A doctor doesn't have to get a new medical license because he moved to a new hospital. That's sheer nonsense. I will not be responding to your red herring concerning Apple's policies. Thank you for your responses. I will no longer be following this thread.
    Friday, December 10, 2010 4:01 AM
  • Hello Roadstar1602,

You wrote, "I have already paid for both XP and Windows 7 upgrade, and therefore I have earned the right to install them on my new computer. That's the bottom line."

No, that's wishful thinking.

The only "right" that you have is to use the licensed software in the manner permitted by the license, a license to which you consented when you first installed and used the software.  To use your driver's license analogy, it would be similar to what many states do when issuing a driver's license to drive.  There are different licensing classifications to drive a car, a motorcycle, and a big truck.  There are different levels of licensing that permit the license holder to do different things.  In the same way, there are different varieties of software licenses, each variety having different usage rights.

If you want the Microsoft Windows license that allows you to move the license from one computer to another, well, that's the license you should have purchased.

Friday, December 10, 2010 5:49 AM
  • Please see Microsoft North American Retail Product Refund Guidelines for instructions on how to return your Windows 7 Upgrade version for a complete refund.  Afterward, you'll need to purchase a "Full License" edition of Windows 7.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, December 10, 2010 7:46 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 6:32 AM