WHS Maximum Storage Pool Capacity for WHS 1 PP3 RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if there is an upper limit for the WHS (v1) Storage Pool?   I am at 49TB and when I try to add an additional 2TB drive WHS will not allow me to add it to the storage pool.  WHS will allow me to add it as a standalone drive with a drive letter, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the drive.  (I'm wondering if someone decided 50TB was enough... or maybe a maximum number of physical drives... I have 31 with a mixture of 1.5 TB and 2 TB drives.)

I would love to move to WHS 2011... but without DE I can't. 

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:48 PM

All replies

• I could imagine you've hit a limit there, yes. You're not likely to get an answer from anyone but Microsoft, though.

As an aside, I'm going to hope desperately that you aren't using USB 2.0 connections for drives in the storage pool...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:20 PM
  • USB 2.0?  No, I use 4 SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 8 port SATA expansion cards on a SuperMicro MBD-X7SBE-0 Mobo.  I generally get 100MB/s transfer rates with these cards... although some HDDs can drop that to 35-40MB/s. 

I will be very unhappy if WHS is limited to < 50TB.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:23 PM
  • I seem to remember something about 31 drives (32 volumes including system) being the limit for DE.
    People have added RAID arrays to DE and it SEEMED to work. Not something I'd be willing to try with so much data at stake. 

-timotl

Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:29 PM