Here we go again, Validation problems last time, and now again! RRS feed

• Question

• It is very frustrating to know once again I am having problems with Validation.  Last time I recall MS insulted a few hundred customers before they found they had a program and provided a patch.

I have a Compaq Business Notebook EVO N620c, purchase direct, and custom manufactured from Compaq.  I have a WIN  XP Pro license, the Sticker, and the MS book with the product code.

This is Compaq/HP, not Joe's Computer Center, or even CompUSA.
    This is direct from the OEM.  I suppose I should report Compaq and HP
    corporation Small Business Services to the piracy program?  I think not.

Send me email, I can provide whatever is necessary, just like last time this same exact issue appeared when MS released the last validation.

XXXXX

Linux is looking better every day...  I was waiting for a MS project Work-a like, similar to openoffice.org/staroffice.org, but none read .mpp files... until just 2 days ago.  But until it is out of beta, I do need my Windows notebook for another month. Then it is Format, Vmware, and RH Linux Desktop.  With WIN XP X-Server, looks and feels just like Windows, just faster, as it is of course thinner.

Friday, April 28, 2006 4:54 AM

Answers

• Lets please try the following:

Symptom:

Customer attempts to update their computer using Windows Update and receives the following error code: 0x80070005

Cause:

This is caused by a permissions issue and is not only a WGA specific issue but can also be encountered when trying to run windows update without the WGA update being selected.  We have seen a recent increase in case volumes related specifically to WGA.

Resolution:

The WGA Diag Tool located here has been updated with a repair for this permissions issue. The customer should run the newest version of the WGA Diag Tool located here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 

Hope this helps

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 7:22 PM

All replies

• defilm:

What's the exact validation failure message you are recieving?

Check this diagnostics tool http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 - can you verify that your product key matches your COA? (Going through support will probably make you do this again, but getting this to you now will speed a few things up) Otherwise, I suggest contacting support directly to work through this. I have removed your email from your post for privacy concerns, I hope you understand.

Friday, April 28, 2006 5:25 AM
  • Phil,

There is a pattern emerging here...

I sent out a corporate wide alert to my Desktop support manager, and all IT groups.

They advise me that (We are Dell now), all Dell Notebooks, and systems corporate licenses updates are fine. All personal systems used by MD's and execs with individual MS Win XP Pro licenses are no problem.

I can verify this as I have a Dell NB as a home office business desktop for just VPN connections in to the company, and browsing, my wife and two sons have recent Dell notebooks running WIN XP Pro, no problems at all.

However at work, desktop support is having a problem with some of the HP Desktops, and CPQ busines notebooks. Not the more recent, but the older n620c, n800 lines that are 2+ years old, not the newer 700 series and 17" desktop replacements.

My personal is a EVO n620c. (All our cpq's are from SMB business services), so they are direct from CPQ themselves.

here is the some output from running the above program that downloaded, I  wasnt sure I should post the whole thing, but I see nothing specific that means anything to me... (Yes my product key matches my COA)

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0526.0):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2MDY9-F6J9M-K42BQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: jY+nlE0RT38EEXpeUqSdQPABSQc=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2211906-00101
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: N5N7G68
    ID: 607374d0-bdb2-4608-91ee-14fcf3978c7c
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>607374d0-bdb2-4608-91ee-14fcf3978c7c</UGUID><Version>1.5.0526.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PID>55274-OEM-2211906-00101</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2871232534-4116661033-2567067669</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq </Manufacturer><Model>Evo N620c                       </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>68BAF Ver. F.16</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050819000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>290001010201010001020101014F118E486BFAB35CF74FC10C80088A3661B5E3E11934000000000000</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90510409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>A88310CA8FF52A0</Val><Hash>AuaU9FIOO0fvkC52HNmTzWnVi4g=</Hash><Pid>72085-336-0472087-55639</Pid></Product><Product GUID="{90E00409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Outlook 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>6E990CE9C6B1D00</Val><Hash>0I+VrkllIuLsWA3RQj+TnJX9lNY=</Hash><Pid>73930-640-0000086-55010</Pid></Product><Product GUID="{903B0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Project Professional 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>67B7B63CC5486E4</Val><Hash>175gQ+hvggSCOPeMlHfhtm8wztE=</Hash><Pid>57058-640-3039866-16477</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Saturday, April 29, 2006 5:14 PM
  • Phil,

I have submitted this to support. However it seems to be impacting mostly our older HP/CPQ notebooks.  Dell is fine.  I suspect once we get through this one both on my personal system, and the corporate systems we will no longer be purchasing CPQ or HP systems.  We have a large cache of CPQ 360, 560 servers, and have been migrating to Dell PowerEdge servers.

While CPQ/HP is a MS business partner, I don't think they will be pleased to hear we will eliminate all remaining CPQ/HP desktops and servers to eliminate the thousands of dollars these releases from Microsoft cost the company.

It is lest costly to accelerate our complete migration and elimination of CPQ/HP.

Thanks for the assistance.

Saturday, April 29, 2006 10:12 PM
  • defilm:

The diagnostics tool is designed to hide/"X" out important information - it is not problem to post its contents here - though i strongly suggest not posting the entire COA sticker on any public forum. :)

What is the exact validation problem you're encountering? Can you not run validation? Is it branding the machines during logon as non-genuine (though you should probably be genuine)? I need a bit more information before can make any assessments.

Thanks,

-Phil Liu

Sunday, April 30, 2006 4:40 AM
  • On my Compaq Presario notebook I had purchased from a local Comp-USA as an emergency when my n620c died on a Friday and business support could not get an advance overnight replacement to me until Tuesday AM (leaving me without a notebook for 3 days),  WGA installed no issues.

What is happening is the WGA download is successful, but fails during the install phase. Indicating just that the "installation failed". If I go to the windows update site and check the failed update for more info, it reports an error "0x80070005), same as it did the last WGA update on March 3rd.

Although if I go to "modify/remove installed programs", the "WGA validation tool" and the "WGA Notifications (KB905474)" is installed, and can not be removed.

Thus I always get notification pop-ups, and of course, as if it were a non-genuine WIN XP pro, update notification is always present, express or custom install comes up with the WGA tool as a recommended critical install.

This is the identical issue that occurred last time MS rolled out the validation tool and it was cleared up with a similar file to the one I just produced those results with. I understand it made some registry modifications, and all was well.

Can't even blame it on an NVidia driver issue on CPQ/HP I saw a tech note about with regards to WGA validation, as this notebook has a "ATI Mobility Radeon 7500" video chipset. The Presario is running WIN XP Pro as well, but not purchased from Compaq Business direct of course. I can include a tech dump file from dxdiag which dumps just about everything if I had a place to send it...

Sunday, April 30, 2006 5:13 AM
  • defilm:

Please submit a support request at http://support.microsoft.com

In the mean time (Meaning Monday morning during work hours), I will have one of my lead developers look at this. I'm sorry for the trouble you're encountering, but we will do our best to resolve it as fast as possible.

Thanks,

-Phil Liu

Monday, May 1, 2006 4:45 AM
  •  defilm wrote:

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0526.0):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine

What is happening is the WGA download is successful, but fails during the install phase. Indicating just that the "installation failed". If I go to the windows update site and check the failed update for more info, it reports an error "0x80070005), same as it did the last WGA update on March 3rd.

I'm afraid you are running into an issue that we've identified with the Validation Tool installer. It is being fixed, but in the meantime, the workaround is to simply run WgaDiag2, which you've already done. Try going through the validation process at http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en, then revisit Windows Update. This should fix the issue on your machine for the time being.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I hope this works for you. Please let me know if this does not work or if you need anything else.

-tjackson

Monday, May 1, 2006 5:08 PM
  •  

When I ran the above like, it completed and idicated "WGA validation complete".

However when I rebooted and went back and ran the Windows update.

Tried installing WGA update, and it still failed. :(  Bummer.

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 5:09 PM
  • Tuesday, May 2, 2006 5:43 PM
  • Lets please try the following:

Symptom:

Customer attempts to update their computer using Windows Update and receives the following error code: 0x80070005

Cause:

This is caused by a permissions issue and is not only a WGA specific issue but can also be encountered when trying to run windows update without the WGA update being selected.  We have seen a recent increase in case volumes related specifically to WGA.

Resolution:

The WGA Diag Tool located here has been updated with a repair for this permissions issue. The customer should run the newest version of the WGA Diag Tool located here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 

Hope this helps

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 7:22 PM
  • Thanks, this did the trick!  I do hope the fact that it did resolve the issue when nothing else worked provided insight in to the underlying problem so legit customers can be spared this issue going forward.

My thanks to Dave and Phil.

Saturday, May 6, 2006 4:49 AM
  • Defilm:

I'm glad we could help you solve the issue. I hope no more will occur, and your Genuine experience will be as smooth as possible soforth. :)

-Phil Liu

Sunday, May 7, 2006 6:36 AM