Sudden New Problems Getting Into MS Money 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Microsoft Money 2007 and I'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit.  Everything was working fine yesterday afternoon, but something must have changed overnight because now....

The software still works.  I can create a NEW file and get around within that.  But it will no longer open my old financial file.  I never use the "online services" and always "sign in to Money directly", but now it won't allow that anymore.  It either crashes or it doesn't recognize the password.  And the password IS correct and it matches my "Windows Live ID" password which is my alternate Hotmail account (which I can still log into directly for e-mail).  For some reason, though, Money won't recognize any of this anymore.

I just need a way to get back in to my primary MNY file one more time and then I can turn off this Hotmail stuff through the password manager.  What can I do to get in?  Or to turn off the encryption?  Or to fix MS Money so it works again?  I literally have 25 years of my financial history in this MNY file, going all the way back to 1990.  Please help!

Thank you,

Scott Trimble

Los Angeles, CA

Monday, November 23, 2015 4:57 PM

Answers

• I have Microsoft Money 2007 and I'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit.  Everything was working fine yesterday afternoon, but something must have changed overnight because now....

The software still works.  I can create a NEW file and get around within that.  But it will no longer open my old financial file.  I never use the "online services" and always "sign in to Money directly", but now it won't allow that anymore.  It either crashes or it doesn't recognize the password.  And the password IS correct and it matches my "Windows Live ID" password which is my alternate Hotmail account (which I can still log into directly for e-mail).  For some reason, though, Money won't recognize any of this anymore.

I just need a way to get back in to my primary MNY file one more time and then I can turn off this Hotmail stuff through the password manager.  What can I do to get in?  Or to turn off the encryption?  Or to fix MS Money so it works again?  I literally have 25 years of my financial history in this MNY file, going all the way back to 1990.  Please help!

If you have a recent backup (*.mbf file), I would File->Restore
    that file.  Alternatively, open Money by right-clicking the *.mbf
    file, and choosing Open.  You can choose to overwrite the problem
    file by restoring to the "default location, or you can Browse to
    your Documents folder, and choose a new name that will not
    overwrite the existing file.  If your newest backup file has a
    problem, then use a slightly earlier backup file.

The good news is that Money 2007, by default, keeps the latest 4 backups by default.

Otherwise, you could try making a repaired version of your file by
    doing a File->Repair->StandardRepair, level 2, on your *.mny file.

You will not get in without using the email address and password in effect when the file was saved. No attempts to fix anything via a website is going to help, and could just confuse things.

Monday, November 23, 2015 5:04 PM
  • I GOT IN.  The solution that I figured out was to restore from an earlier backup.  The most recent backup crashed, but two backups ago WORKED.  It still had the authentication request, but it was displayed in a different style across the screen, so the programming here worked to allow me through.  Once I was in, I removed the password manager settings.  I only lost two weeks of data instead of 25 years of data.  PROBLEM SOLVED.
    • Marked as answer by Scott Trimble Monday, November 23, 2015 5:44 PM
    Monday, November 23, 2015 5:11 PM

All replies

If you have a recent backup (*.mbf file), I would File->Restore
    that file.  Alternatively, open Money by right-clicking the *.mbf
    file, and choosing Open.  You can choose to overwrite the problem
    file by restoring to the "default location, or you can Browse to
    your Documents folder, and choose a new name that will not
    overwrite the existing file.  If your newest backup file has a
    problem, then use a slightly earlier backup file.

The good news is that Money 2007, by default, keeps the latest 4 backups by default.

Otherwise, you could try making a repaired version of your file by
    doing a File->Repair->StandardRepair, level 2, on your *.mny file.

You will not get in without using the email address and password in effect when the file was saved. No attempts to fix anything via a website is going to help, and could just confuse things.

Monday, November 23, 2015 5:04 PM
  • To be even more specific, I am using Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe, Version 17.0.120.3817.
    Monday, November 23, 2015 5:06 PM
  • I GOT IN.  The solution that I figured out was to restore from an earlier backup.  The most recent backup crashed, but two backups ago WORKED.  It still had the authentication request, but it was displayed in a different style across the screen, so the programming here worked to allow me through.  Once I was in, I removed the password manager settings.  I only lost two weeks of data instead of 25 years of data.  PROBLEM SOLVED.
    • Marked as answer by Scott Trimble Monday, November 23, 2015 5:44 PM
    Monday, November 23, 2015 5:11 PM
  • You have now been reminded, and I hope everyone reading this will now understand, that if your *.mny data file becomes corrupt whilst in use then making a backup of it at the point of exit/closure will make a CORRUPT BACKUP ~ which probably overwrite a previously good backup. This is precisely why it is important to retain more than one backup. Fortunately Money 2007 did that for you; earlier versions only make one backup.

Retaining ancient backups is a waste of space in my opinion; finding and inputting weeks or months of transactions is just too onerous.

I name my backups 1-Monday, 2-Tuesday, thro 7-Sunday and choose to overwrite 'Today' at exit ~ this practice has worked well for me.

Teabag 

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:37 AM