After Reboot I can not connect to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Brand new install of WHS, the WHS is fully patched as of 2/15/10.  I have a Windows 2008 R2 domain.  My machine W7 ultimate x64 is on that domain and everything works fine.

I installed the WHSConnector from WHS and connected without a problem, all shares are there, it can do a backup and I can RDP to the machine.

When I reboot my laptop or power it up after shutting it down for the night, the client can not see WHS, I can ping it by name, ip but RDP And WHS Connector say it is not there.  This happens everytime I reboot, as it is a laptop and goes with me.  The only way I can get it to work is to uninstall/reinstall the connector.

The WHS server is set to a Static IP, and has always been set this way.  I have run out of ideas on how to get it to work.  my Win2008R2 server hands out DHCP and is the DNS server for this network.  I have a Raptor Firewall that has allowed my server to be reached from the outside.

I cant think of any reason this happens... it is very strange.  Any Ideas?
    Monday, February 15, 2010 9:41 PM

All replies

• Ok this is strange, I guess if I re-run the discovery tool it will set it back up for me, do I need to run the discovery tool every time?

Running this tool makes it so I can RDP also???? that makes no sense to me... what does the discovery tool do to my system?
    Monday, February 15, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Brand new install of WHS, the WHS is fully patched as of 2/15/10.  I have a Windows 2008 R2 domain.  My machine W7 ultimate x64 is on that domain and everything works fine.

I installed the WHSConnector from WHS and connected without a problem, all shares are there, it can do a backup and I can RDP to the machine.

When I reboot my laptop or power it up after shutting it down for the night, the client can not see WHS, I can ping it by name, ip but RDP And WHS Connector say it is not there.  This happens everytime I reboot, as it is a laptop and goes with me.  The only way I can get it to work is to uninstall/reinstall the connector.

The WHS server is set to a Static IP, and has always been set this way.  I have run out of ideas on how to get it to work.  my Win2008R2 server hands out DHCP and is the DNS server for this network.  I have a Raptor Firewall that has allowed my server to be reached from the outside.

I cant think of any reason this happens... it is very strange.  Any Ideas?
    Have you tried completely disabling the Raptor Firewall?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:01 AM
  • Ok this is strange, I guess if I re-run the discovery tool it will set it back up for me, do I need to run the discovery tool every time?

No, you shouldn't have to.

Running this tool makes it so I can RDP also???? that makes no sense to me... what does the discovery tool do to my system?
    All discovery does is it re-connects your client to your server.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:02 AM
  • I cannot disable the Raptor Firewall as it is a physical device.  I guess I should say Velociraptor Firewall instead.

So here is an example of my network

(Internet) --> (Firewall)Velociraptor --> Netgear Gigabit switch
    |----> Domain Controller (Windows 2008 R2 Server with Exchange) static IP 192.168.13.2, DNS server, DHCP Server (Range .100 - .150)
    |----> WHS not addons, static IP 192.168.13.3
    |----> Dlink DIR-655 Wireless Router, static IP 192.168.13.250
    |-----> Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (DHCP Client, Wireless) Mine
    |-----> Windows 7 Ultimate x86 (DHCP Client, Wireless)
    |-----> Windows 7 Professional x86 (DHCP Client, Wireless)
    |-----> Vista Home Premium (DHCP Client, Wireless)
    |-----> Vista Professional (DHCP Client, Wireless)
    |-----> Nintendo Wii (DHCP Client, Wireless)
    |-----> Dlink Bridge (Goes to my Entertainment Center) Bridges to my other Dlink Router
    |-----> MS Xbox360 (DHCP Client)
    |-----> Sony Blue Ray Player 

Firewall is set with a static IP block;
    .25 is the Firewall IP
    .26 is the Exchange Server (SMTP/Exchange)
    .27 is the WHS

Routing works both ways and I can ping from outside and inside.

I hope this helps...
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:32 AM
  • I tried to setup the WHS server my other Windows 7 Ultimate and it failed when tyring to find the server.

Annoying thing was, I could ping by netbios, dns and ip.

I in fact installed the software from the server at \\hera\Software\Home Server Connector Software

So the laptop has to be able to see it if I could get to it in the first place.....

I cant believe this is so difficult... no firewall is on my system until I can get this established and yet it is like the server plays hide and go seek.

I can just blow this machine and build it as another windows 2008 server, but I would like the ability to easily store and retrieve music, especially have it hook up with my Xbox 360 and my PS3 when I get it back from my Brother.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:39 AM
  • Strange indeed. Have you tried installing the connector to any of your xp or Vista computers to see if that works?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:56 AM