Asus M2A-VM AMD motherboard works with 2003 Server, but not with WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've set up this system with an AM2 Athlon 64 X2 and 2 Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 drives:

http://www.asus.com.tw/products.aspx?l1=1&l2=1&l3=380&l4=0&model=1679&modelmenu=1

The system runs slow with frantic hardisk activity and is unstabel with BSoD:

*** STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005,0X80939815,0XF78EE92C,0XF78EE628)

The system runs perfect with 2003 Server.

I've used the same 2003 Server Chipset drivers from the Asustec support site om both setups. (WHS vs 2000 Server)

Must WHS have special drivers?

----

Geir

Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:47 PM

All replies

• It would be helpful if you would give a little more system spec.  Processor, memory, powersupply.  Memory and power are the two prime suspects in a blue screen.  are you trying to overclock?  When you have problems like this drop back and run x86 memory test all by itself for at least a few passes.  Also do a low level format of both disks.  This can help find and fix (mark out) bad sectors if they exist.  Run chkdsk.  See if you can find a temperature monitor for the cpu and chipset (and disk drives). 

The basic troubleshooting things. 

BSOD can happen simply because one OS doesn't use all the memory but the next does, or the heat sink fan on the cpu is not fastened down or is cocked and so when the cpu starts chugging at close to 100% it heats up.  Or your disk could have bad sectors and one install does not use that section but another does.  Or it could be a driver issue, but if it runs 2003 fine this is less likely than other causes.
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 6:53 PM
  •  

CPU is running at 32 dgr celsius (90F)

No overclocking

Samsung hardisk test-program reports OK

Memorytest reports OK

Average transfer rate in WHS: 5 MB/sec

Average transfer rate in 2003 Server: 61 MB/sec

Specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Socket AM2 1MB

Memory: TwinMOS DDR2 PC6400 2048MB Dual Pack KIT ,w/two matched DDR2 PC6400 1024MB CL5

PSU: 300W integrated with the Asus Vintage V3-M2A690G barebone chassi

HD: 2 x Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

GPU: Intergrated Radeon X1250

Does WHS need spesific WHS drivers, or will 2003 Server do?

--

Geir

Saturday, February 23, 2008 11:11 PM
  • Nice system.  The power supply is a little light but should be fine for now. 

I looked up the board on newegg and notice that it requires a 24 pin powersupply cable.  Sometimes those cables consist of a 20 pin and a 4 pin extension.  I had mine come apart one time and the 20 pin was plugged in but the 4 pin extension wasn't firmly plugged all the way in.  A lot of modern motherboards also have an extra 4 pin (sometimes 8 pin) connector that is just out on the motherboard somewhere.  Yours is on the edge of the board between the CPU socket and the back panel.  If you neglect to plug that in or it is not firmly seated you can sometimes run but will be flakey.

I don't really see anything specific that would cause BSODs.  We know that WHS works the disk drives to death.  Is it possible that the powersupply is dying?   

One other thing to check is the voltage to the DIMMs.  Some dimms require a higher voltage.  The "normal" voltage is 1.8 v but some require 1.9v clear up to 2.2v.  If it requires a higher voltage then it may run but have memory errors.  Not sure why it would work in 2k3 but not WHS though.

Just throwing out ideas.

And no, WHS is mostly just a set of services that run on top of W2K3 and AFAIK it does not require drivers above and beyond the w2k3 drivers.
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 1:37 AM
  •  Fireblade96 wrote:

CPU is running at 32 dgr celsius (90F)

No overclocking

Samsung hardisk test-program reports OK

Memorytest reports OK

Average transfer rate in WHS: 5 MB/sec

Average transfer rate in 2003 Server: 61 MB/sec

Specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Socket AM2 1MB

Memory: TwinMOS DDR2 PC6400 2048MB Dual Pack KIT ,w/two matched DDR2 PC6400 1024MB CL5

PSU: 300W integrated with the Asus Vintage V3-M2A690G barebone chassi

HD: 2 x Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

GPU: Intergrated Radeon X1250

Does WHS need spesific WHS drivers, or will 2003 Server do?

--

Geir

Try using two sticks of RAM instead of four.  As John mentioned some memory is very sensitive to voltages.  The best thing to do would be to check the manufacturers specs and set the timing and voltages correctly.  Motherboards are pretty sensitive to memory these days (damn you JDEC!).

I use the exact same motherboard for my HTPC (except with AMD X2 4400+ & 2x1024MB ddr800 corsair memory).

I don't know the drivers that WHS comes with and I don't know if they're the same as server 2003.

Did you install the CPU drivers?
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:49 AM
  •  John W. Colby wrote:
    Nice system.  The power supply is a little light but should be fine for now. 

I looked up the board on newegg and notice that it requires a 24 pin powersupply cable.  Sometimes those cables consist of a 20 pin and a 4 pin extension.  I had mine come apart one time and the 20 pin was plugged in but the 4 pin extension wasn't firmly plugged all the way in.  A lot of modern motherboards also have an extra 4 pin (sometimes 8 pin) connector that is just out on the motherboard somewhere.  Yours is on the edge of the board between the CPU socket and the back panel.  If you neglect to plug that in or it is not firmly seated you can sometimes run but will be flakey.

It a factory assembeled barbonesystem so I asume the cabling is ok. Looks allright anyway.

John W. Colby wrote:

I don't really see anything specific that would cause BSODs.  We know that WHS works the disk drives to death.  Is it possible that the powersupply is dying?   

I have no indications on PSU faulure.

It's a brand new system and it's running perfectly on Windows 2003.

John W. Colby wrote:

One other thing to check is the voltage to the DIMMs.  Some dimms require a higher voltage.  The "normal" voltage is 1.8 v but some require 1.9v clear up to 2.2v.  If it requires a higher voltage then it may run but have memory errors.  Not sure why it would work in 2k3 but not WHS though.

Just throwing out ideas.

And no, WHS is mostly just a set of services that run on top of W2K3 and AFAIK it does not require drivers above and beyond the w2k3 drivers.

Thanks for the ideas :-)

Everest test reports the memory voltage to: SSTL 1.8

Sunday, February 24, 2008 10:59 AM
  • I was using the same board for WHS and had the same problems when I was using HDD drivers from ASUS.

After removing the HDD drivers and use Microsofts default drivers, it has been rock solid stable.

Good Luck

Monday, February 25, 2008 7:26 AM
  •  mgbppcs wrote:

I was using the same board for WHS and had the same problems when I was using HDD drivers from ASUS.

After removing the HDD drivers and use Microsofts default drivers, it has been rock solid stable.

Good Luck

Does HDD mean hardisk driver?

In my testing with Windows Home Server, the Device Manager looked like an Chrismas tree before I installed the chipset drivers. WHS didn't even find driver the ethernet NIC. (neither did 2003 Server)

In my current configuration with 2003 Server, both the hardisk and IDE drivers is signed Microsoft, dated 01.10.2002.

I didn't check the status in the WHS setup last week.

I've used 5 hours installing Windows 2003 Server so I'll stay with this setup for a few weeks.

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:45 PM
  • I also have a problem with this board.

I have a similar setup, but I am using a 700w PSU so I doubt this could be the cause of the problem.

My problem differs slightly as I don't get a BSOD, instead the screen goes dark, all Hard Disk activity stops, the onboad NIC drops from 1gbps to 100mbps and the machine locks up and is no longer accesible from the network.

Following a reboot, Windows reports that the machine has recovered from a serious error, sends the error report and comes back suggesting a driver caused the problem.  Although it is unable to identify which one.

Because this only seems to happen during heavy network usage, I though the NIC/driver might be at fault.  With this in mind, I disabled the onboad NIC and installed a brand new D-Link gigabit one.  Two hours following the intsallation, the error occured again.

Following mgbppcs's post, I am going to try different drivers for the HDD controllers tonight and see where that gets me.  If that fails, it may be another motherboard...

BigSpoon

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Not to hijack the thread, but I'm seeing pretty much the same thing as BigSpoon with my M2A-VM HDMI.

I get a crash without a BSOD, The machine just goes dead

No BSOD

No network activity, but I still get a link light

No video output

In my case, I haven't confirmed if it's during high network activity, but it does seem to always happen when I'm tooling around with my WHS.  

I also saw this before I installed any of the Asus/ATI drivers and I hoped that would fix it, but I'm still seeing it.

Any luck with your new drivers?

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:55 PM
  • DT_27,

I'm delighted to say that since my post a few days ago, and on the recomendation of mgbppcs, removing the ATI drivers from the ATI/ATAPI Controllers seems to have helped, if not done the trick completely.

I was using the ATI drivers supplied on the ASUS disc, and I think at some point I might have downloaded more recent ones from their website.  Either way, Device Manager was reporting a date stamp on the ATI drivers of 2006.  Using the Roll Back facility, I am now using the Microsoft Drivers dated 2002.

I also flashed the BIOS with the most recent version from ASUS' website, although I'm unsure if this has/will make any difference.

As I said, it's been a few days since a crash now.  Although this post might be tempting fate...

I'll let you know if it goes moody again, but in the mean time, it's certainly worth taking mgbppcs' advice.

BigSpoon

Thursday, March 13, 2008 8:36 AM
  • Hi

Just loaded WHS on this mainboard - and was looking for LAN drivers - ASUS site doesn't show any Win2003 / WIN2000 drivers for this board, except for audio & chipset - chipset just installs ATI and Catalyst...

Apreciate advice on where / what LAN driver to install so I can get my home server up and operational.

Cheers,
    AT
    Saturday, April 5, 2008 2:52 AM
  • TonyT65,

As a general rule, Windows XP drivers should work with Windows 2003.  If you're not happy with this, I seem to remember the disk provided by Asus containing all the relevant drivers.

If you're missing your disk, I can send you the file you require from mine.  Another alternative would be to visit Realtek's website and download the driver from there (http://www.realtek.com.tw).

BigSpoon

Saturday, April 5, 2008 2:40 PM
  • Thanks BigSpoon

Have loaded the XP driver for LAN - did the trick.  Now just need to work out what the remaining two unidentified devices are...

WHS up and running now

Tony

Saturday, April 5, 2008 10:04 PM
  • Tony,

Glad to hear you're up an running.

The unidentified devices may be part of the motherboard.  You could try using the driver disk that came with the mobo as it should contain an autoinstaller that takes care of everything for you.

I usually start using the disk and update all of the drivers once I'm online.  But if it isn't broke...

BigSpoon.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 12:02 PM
  • Hi there fellow M2A-VM board users....

Could I ask a favour - could someone to post or email me a screen shot of their expanded Device Manager window - I've got a couple of "unidentified - Other Device" listings, and I's rather not go through a trial and error of driver installs to pick what fixes the missing device ..., it would be terriffic if I could see what devices show up under on other peoples fully configured up M2A-VM installations for 2003/WHS.

Cheers,

Tony

Friday, April 11, 2008 10:25 AM