On the road RRS feed

• Question

•  

Does Windows Live One Care work on my notebook when Im away from home. I some times go to other locations where they offer free WiFi. Does Windows Live One Care still protect my notebook?
    Saturday, February 2, 2008 9:19 AM

Answers

• Yes. Make sure that you identify the new network you connect to as public and it will more fully protect the PC by locking down the firewall.

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 5:50 PM

All replies

• Yes. Make sure that you identify the new network you connect to as public and it will more fully protect the PC by locking down the firewall.

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 5:50 PM
  • When I tried to connect to an unsecured wireless connection, it would not allow me to connect to the internet, no matter how I set the firewall, Private or Public.

I just bought a new PC with Vista and One Care. Previously I did not have a secured (WEP) wireless connection. Before One Care would allow me to connect to the internet, I had to change the router to a WEP enabled and enter a key. How will I do this at a motel, or an airport hotspot, etc...?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:41 PM
  • In your Home network, with a supported router, OneCare will offer to configure security for you. It will warn you if you are using an unsecured connection. When you make a new, public connection, OneCare will default to Public and then ask you what the network is - Home/Work or Public - before adjusting the settings.

I have regularly connected to unsecured networks with computers using OneCare.

-steve

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:10 PM