Avaya G350 & OCS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am deploying a voice solution in a Green Field site and was looking at using OCS 2007 with Avaya as the preferred solution.  Ideally I would love to go with a pure OCS solution but the functionality required (Call Pickup, call hunting, etc) is just not in place with OCS at the moment.

Because of this I have been looking at an Avaya G350 Media Gateway with a S8300.  Does anyone know if this gateway will work with OCS 2007?  If I get the G530 gateway do I still require a Mediation Server?

We also have another branch office which has a Avaya G350 with a S8300 in place at the moment.  I would obviously like to connect these two sites to take advantage of free site-to-site calls across our WAN.  I know I can link the avaya to avaya part using trunks but if a user in Site A calls a user in Site B using communicator does this mean I would require a mediation server in each site or would the call route over the Avaya to Avaya trunk?

Any advise welcome?

Friday, July 25, 2008 4:25 PM

All replies

•  

You need to figure out if you are doing RCC or Enterprise Voice.  If you are doing Enterprise Voice then you will need a Mediation Server and SIP Gateway to bridge between your Avaya Media Gateway.  Unless the Avaya can do SIP TCP.  I have only deployed Avaya with RCC using Avaya Presence Server.

Here is a list of supported Gateways.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/bb735838.aspx#ippbx

But if you are doing Enterprise Voice.  You will still need the Mediation Server.  With out a supported Gateway - the Avaya solution will not be supported unless you are referring to RCC.

--geoff

Sunday, July 27, 2008 10:50 PM
  •  

I still am not fully sure of the difference between EV and RCC.  If I was to use RCC then can I still control the call from within MS Communicator (Call, Hold, Transfer, Conference, etc.)?

How up-to-date is the Supported Gateways list?  I am sure I read somewhere that the Avaya G350 was a supported gateway but I can't find where I found that info .... typical.

What are the main differences between EV and RCC?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:39 AM
  • Enterprise Voice gives the user the ability to make and take calls from their Office Communicator client.  This is regardless of the integration to the PBX and could just entail a SIP gateway providing external PSTN connectivity for OCS. 

RCC (Remote Call Control) is PBX integration with the ability to do dual-forking.  This is where a call comes into your DID or extension and your OCS and desk phone ring.  When you answer either of the two devices the other stops ringing and your presence is changed to "In a Call"

The updated list of supported IP gateways and configuration notes is available here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc411323.aspx#avaya

The Microsoft Exchange and Communications Server Team are consolidating their efforts to certify gateways now. 

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:26 PM
  • Hi Mark,

So it took me a while to finally find some time to research this a bit further.  From what I know now I think what I am trying to do is setup OCS and Avaya using RCC.

So with that in mind would I be right in describing the following:

User A calls User B in remote branch office:

User A using MS Communicator selects User B and clicks on Call.  This action will ring User A's Avaya phone and also User B's Avaya phone & communicator client.

The hadware/software required for this:

Avaya S8300, G350, AES Server.  No Mediation Server, No gateway other than the G350 as this will use the Avaya trunks connecting each Avaya PBX at each site.

Am I anyway close here???  Is there anyway of doing this other than using an AES server?

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:14 PM
  • only with the Avaya AES server you will be able integrate ocs and avaya... then the features you want to deploy could be done...
    Friday, September 5, 2008 3:17 PM