Edit: Restrict the ability to send messages to groups RRS feed

• Question

• Distribution/Security Groups and other AD objects that are hidden from our Exchange 2003 GAL appear when searching for contacts in the Office Communicator 2007 client. 

Is there a way to prevent this from happening so that objects hidden from the GAL are also hidden from the OC client? 
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:47 AM

All replies

• It seems that OCS will list any group with an email address even if it doesn't have an Exchange attribute, therefore default and built-in security groups that didn't appear in our GAL appeared when searching the OC client as they had email addresses definned in AD but had no Exchange attributes. 

When the email address was deleted or the group given Exchange attributes (and then the address hidden from the GAL) then the group would no longer appear in the search list. 

However, I still have not found a way to restrict the sending of messages to certain groups, even when the Message Restriction properties of a group have been configured.  Random messages to the entire organisation are not going to be seen in a positive light. 

How can I restrict the ability to send to certain groups? 
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:11 PM
  • Padds,

I didnt see your post and basically duplicated it (see: Prevent IM's to Distribution Lists?) Have you gotten any updates on this scenario? Please let me know if you have. If I dont hear back I will probably open a ticket up with MS. If there is any resolution or workaround I will post it here.

Friday, December 7, 2007 5:05 PM
  • Still no update on this although until now (touch wood) my users have been able to contril themselves and haven't been pestering the entire organisation with IMs. 

That'll probably change when some 'bright spark' figures it out though Sad
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:56 AM
  • You can limit the size of groups that users are able to send IM to via the OCS admin console.  You may be able to use address book filtering to prevent groups that are hidden from being seen in Communicator, but this would take some tinkering to test.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:37 PM