Retrieve Files in WHS after uninstalling WHS RRS feed

• Question

• A few months back, I trialed WHS and ultimately decided not to use it.  Long story short, all of the data that WHS backed up is still sitting on one HDD in the original WHS machine, which now boots from XP Pro.  I have lost my entire music collection due to HDD failure and I am desperate to restore it from the former WHS backup drive.  I am pretty sure this can be done, although it seems there must be an easier way to restore than the convoluted process I am thinking of.  Does anybody have any ideas on how I can get my 2000 songs back???  What I'm thinking of is unplugging the drive so WHS can't reformat it, reinstall WHS on the machine, then plug the drive back in and see if I can't get WHS to recognize it.  Surely this isn't the best way to get this done???  I still don't want to use WHS (although I was surprisingly impressed with it) so anything having to do with WHS will ultimately get uninstalled or deleted just as soon as I can get my music back.  Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks -
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 3:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

All drives used by WHS are standard NTFS drives, so unless your PC has transferred anything to the ex-WHS drive, the files will still be there.
    You will be able to access them directly with Windows Explorer under the DE/Folders/Shares path. However, you will need to use the XP Management Console and allocate a drive letter to this ex-WHS drive and will also have to ensure that 'View all files and folders' is enabled, as this will be a hidden path.

HTH,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 5:50 PM
  • If the drive you're talking about was used as a backup drive for WHS (this is a feature added with Power Pack 1), rather than added to the storage pool, then the files are easily accessed, and not hidden. If it was in the storage pool, follow colin's directions.

Can you give us some more information and we can give you better guidance?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 1:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

All drives used by WHS are standard NTFS drives, so unless your PC has transferred anything to the ex-WHS drive, the files will still be there.
    You will be able to access them directly with Windows Explorer under the DE/Folders/Shares path. However, you will need to use the XP Management Console and allocate a drive letter to this ex-WHS drive and will also have to ensure that 'View all files and folders' is enabled, as this will be a hidden path.

HTH,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 5:50 PM
  • If the drive you're talking about was used as a backup drive for WHS (this is a feature added with Power Pack 1), rather than added to the storage pool, then the files are easily accessed, and not hidden. If it was in the storage pool, follow colin's directions.

Can you give us some more information and we can give you better guidance?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 1:37 AM