Vista Ultimate Activation RRS feed

• Question

•  

Support,

I am currently activated and using the upgraded Vista Ultimate OS which is licensed on my PC (custom built with high end parts).  I am about to replace both video cards in the PC with 2 new video cards.

Is there any way I can DE-activate my licensed copy prior to changing the hardward and then re-activate after I get the hardware upgraded/replaced?  The reason for this question is that I know the OS is designed to be forgiving of hardware changes but only to a certain limit.  I have already upgraded the processor from a Dual Core 2 to an Quad Core 2 and I want to avoid any down time as a result of licensing issues.  I know Vista will give me a 3 day buffer to get the activation taken care of but I'm hoping Microsoft has an electronic facility to de-activate windows on the machine to which it is licensed... freeing up that license for my upgraded hardware to re-activate to.

Thanks,

Monday, December 3, 2007 10:12 PM

Answers

• Hello Ganthanor,

There is no "Deactivation" functionality, but once you change the hardware, if the hardware IDs of the new hardware exceed a fault tolerance, Vista will ask that you reactivate. In that situation, you will need to Activate by phone.

NOTE: when you call the activation number, you will first hear an Automated Voice that will try to Activate Vista for you. If the Automated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep, select that option. If not, do not say or enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep. Trying to Activate thru the Automated Voice will not work, in your case, only thru a Live Activation Rep will your Activation be successful.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:28 PM