Cannot add drive to data pool RRS feed

• Question

•   I've had a very unpleasent start with WHS, but I'm not willing to give up at this point. So far I've had 2 bad drives, a motherboard fail, and the OS go wacky due to some bad drivers.

Basically, my config is this.
    WHS PowerPack1
    Biostar MCP6P-M2 GeForce 6150 Socket AM2
    AMD Athlon X2 4200+
    2GB DDR 667mhz
    1 x Maxtor 80 gig SATA1 (os drive)
    1 x Seagate 250gig SATA2
    2 x WD Green 1tb SATA2

I initially started with 2 1tb Seagates that failed 5 hours apart (read online...the 7200.11 are NOT good drives). Its been a week now and I finally got my 2 WD Green drives in to replace them. I drop one in, add it to the pool....no problem. I add the second one in, add it to the pool, BAM..fails and then WHS can no longer even see the drive until a reboot. I can remove the other WD from the pool, and then add it and it works fine. I just can't have both in there at once. I can also have one in the pool and one as a backup drive and they work fine.

I've done the troubleshooting and had the machine running only on the OS drive, and then 1 of these at a time, I've also tried other drives (just none that were identical models) and they also work fine. I've also reinstalled the OS, tried new drivers, tried different power sources, etc. I'm hoping somebody here as experienced a similar situation and can point me in the right direction. Im at the point of just buying a PCI SATA card and hoping it is just a controller issue. But why would the drives work in every scenario except the data pool? Seems that all fingers are pointing at the OS.
    Friday, January 30, 2009 1:51 PM

Answers

• boostud said:

EKDA said:

To further isolate the problem, can you try to create a volume on disk using diskpart? If you receive the same error "volume cannot be created", then the actual bug is not in WHS.

You mentioned "'WD bla bla has failed". Could you show exact error message here? It may tell where the failure is.

Yes, I can create volumes on the drive. I was able to succesfully use it as a 'backup' drive too. I did a test and transferred  the WHS data to it, and back.

Everything works fine, except for when I try to add it to the pool.

I can format, partition, create volumes, everything through disk manager. I haven't done anything in disk part, but I dont see how that would really matter at this point since I can actually create volumes on it via other methods. Should I still try this?

The fact you have two identical disks probably means signatures on disks are same, and it might be a bug in WHS where same disk signatures are not handled properly. If possible, could you do the following? (assuming you don't care about the data on disk)

1. Plug in the disk into ANOTHER machine.

2. Run diskpart

3. Select disk #

4. clean

5. Plug the disk back into WHS machine and try to add it to the storage pool.

Friday, January 30, 2009 8:45 PM

All replies

• I have two identical WD 1 TB Greenpoint drives in one of my WHS systems.

Do you get any error messages when adding the drive fails?

Can you please have a look for errors in the eventlogs of you WHS? (Connect to your server using remote desktop, then Start, Run, type eventvwr.msc and hit Enter, or if you have the Windows Home Server Toolkit installed you can access eventviewer from the Home Server Console, Settings Menu, toolkit.)

Friday, January 30, 2009 2:33 PM
  •  Hi,

if you log in locally on your server, click Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc. Is the second disk still visible here?
    In this case this FAQ may eventually help you.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, January 30, 2009 2:56 PM
  • The server is currently turned off, so I can't view the current errors...but I do have them from when my Seagates were in there doing the same thing.  One thing I haven't checked is to see how my controller is setup on my motherboard (at least I can't remember how it is set). I think its in AHCI/RAID mode, where I probably want it IDE.

Here is a link to last week's error log. You can scroll down a bit and see 'disk error', and the following errors resulting from it.

http://www.sxturbo.info/WHS_Event_Log.txt

And to answer Olaf, once I try to add the drive to the pool the server hangs, and then I recieve the error 'volume cannot be created' , followed by 'WD bla bla has failed". At that point, the drive is gone from the WHS console AND disk manager until I reboot.

Friday, January 30, 2009 3:32 PM
  • To further isolate the problem, can you try to create a volume on disk using diskpart? If you receive the same error "volume cannot be created", then the actual bug is not in WHS.

You mentioned "'WD bla bla has failed". Could you show exact error message here? It may tell where the failure is.

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Hi,

And to answer Olaf, once I try to add the drive to the pool the server hangs, and then I recieve the error 'volume cannot be created' , followed by 'WD bla bla has failed". At that point, the drive is gone from the WHS console AND disk manager until I reboot.

this could be caused by the fact, that both disks are a clone of each other for the part, which will used for their identification. So if you try to add a second disk with the same ID, you run into the WHS storage identity crisis.

diskpart clean deletes not only the volumes on the selected disk, but also recreates the master boot record.

It must not be that this is the reason (could also be a weak power supply, a bad cable, driver problems - NVidia??? - or whatever, especially if you say, that the issue happened also with other disks), but it is worth a try.

Olaf

Friday, January 30, 2009 6:36 PM
  • EKDA said:

To further isolate the problem, can you try to create a volume on disk using diskpart? If you receive the same error "volume cannot be created", then the actual bug is not in WHS.

Yes, I can create volumes on the drive. I was able to succesfully use it as a 'backup' drive too. I did a test and transferred  the WHS data to it, and back.

I can format, partition, create volumes, everything through disk manager. I haven't done anything in disk part, but I dont see how that would really matter at this point since I can actually create volumes on it via other methods. Should I still try this?

Friday, January 30, 2009 8:12 PM
  • boostud said:

EKDA said:

Hi,

If you believe this is related to DE or the OS, please submit a bug on Connect. We will need server CABs in order to investigate as this is related to your hardware config.  You will find information regarding how to submit those to us here.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, January 30, 2009 8:36 PM
  • boostud said:

EKDA said:

The fact you have two identical disks probably means signatures on disks are same, and it might be a bug in WHS where same disk signatures are not handled properly. If possible, could you do the following? (assuming you don't care about the data on disk)

2. Run diskpart

3. Select disk #

4. clean

Friday, January 30, 2009 8:45 PM
  •  
    EKDA said:

2. Run diskpart

3. Select disk #

4. clean

which is the method described in the FAQ I mentioned, besides the fact, that it should work also within the server (according to other users experience).

Olaf

Friday, January 30, 2009 10:01 PM
  •  I ran the diskpart clean command, and it does seem to be liking it now.

It still took significantly longer to add the 2nd drive, but it was succesfully added to the pool. I'm going to put it through some serious data transfer stressing tests tonight to make sure everything is working ok.

Thank you for all your help everyone. I greatly appreciate it! I have never seen an issue anything like this.

Friday, January 30, 2009 11:50 PM
  • Not to bring this thread back from the dead, but I have had some more issues since it was marked as resolved.

I highly recommend staying away from the GeForce 6150chipset for a SATA controller. I had this now eat my WD drives as well. 

SO, on to my 3rd pair of drives I seem to finally have it under control. I installed a Syba Sil3114 SATA controller into my system last week, along with my new pair of WD Greens. So far no issues. The install of the drives into the data pool was significanly faster than when adding any drive with the onboard Nvidia controller. And the hang issues I had when adding a 2nd identical drive no longer exists when running on the Sil3114 controller.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:27 PM