Video Card Recommendation For Home Built Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I built a WHS on an old Dell Dimension 4100 I had laying around.  It is working well except for one issue.  I don't need the machine to be on 24/7 and I tried to use the LightsOut add-in to put the machine to sleep at night.  I won't sleep the machine because the generic driver for the (extremely old) S3 Virge video card in the machine won't allow sleep.  I tried a newer Matrox card I had laying around and couldn't find a driver that would work properly either.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap AGP (or even PCI) video card I could put in the box that has driver support for WHS and will allow it to sleep?
    I see some posts here suggesting that it's not even necessary to have a video card in the WHS, is that true?
    The odd thing is that I used to run Windows XP on this same hardware and it went to sleep without any issues, but I guess that's a result of the drivers.

I am having trouble finding a reasonably priced card that offers Windows 2003 (WHS) drivers.

Thanks.

Peter
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hello everyone,

I built a WHS on an old Dell Dimension 4100 I had laying around.  It is working well except for one issue.  I don't need the machine to be on 24/7 and I tried to use the LightsOut add-in to put the machine to sleep at night.  I won't sleep the machine because the generic driver for the (extremely old) S3 Virge video card in the machine won't allow sleep.  I tried a newer Matrox card I had laying around and couldn't find a driver that would work properly either.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap AGP (or even PCI) video card I could put in the box that has driver support for WHS and will allow it to sleep?
    I see some posts here suggesting that it's not even necessary to have a video card in the WHS, is that true?

Yes (after installing the OS of course).

The odd thing is that I used to run Windows XP on this same hardware and it went to sleep without any issues, but I guess that's a result of the drivers.

I am having trouble finding a reasonably priced card that offers Windows 2003 (WHS) drivers.

Thanks.

Peter

• Marked as answer by ruadog Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:13 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:30 AM

All replies

• Hello everyone,

Yes (after installing the OS of course).

Thanks.

Peter

• Marked as answer by ruadog Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:13 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:30 AM
  • kariya21 - Thanks so much for that.  I removed the video card from the device manager and then physically removed it from the machine and now it sleeps and hibernates with no problems.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:12 AM