Remote web access, router setup DIR-655 RRS feed

• Question

• I have read and followed directions from other forums post's with no luck. First I must say I had it working perfect right out of the box. It auto configured the router and all was good. Then for security reasons I turned it off. Now when I turned it back on it says my router is not working or ports need to be opened. So I manually opened ports 80/443/4125 reserved the server IP address turned on and off UPnP but get the same results. I even called comcast and asked if they were blocking any ports, the answer was no. Next I did a firmware update and did the above all over again. I even reset to factory settings 3 or 4 times. So frustrated I bought another router and tried it, but no change. My thought now is that the original configuration is still there and not letting me update. I am running a D-link DSS-16+ switch, D-link DIR655 Router & Motorola SB5100. Any sugestions I am at a loss on what to try next.  
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:48 PM

Answers

• Since I was getting no ware and I knew it was working before I did a OS restore and now all is working like it should again. Just need to do some updates to get me back to ware I was. I just regret not doing it sooner. Many hours beating my head on the screen could have been saved.
    Mark
    • Marked as answer by mark 0 Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:44 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:44 PM

All replies

• For Windows Home Server 2011, you can let it configure the router by UPnP, or you can tell the server that you will manually configure your router. Both of these options are pretty well explained (from the Windows Home Server side3) in the help. If you decide to manually configure your router, you can additionally visit portforward.com for specific instructions for your router. The ports you need to forward for Windows Home Server 2011 are 80 and 443; 4125 was used by V1 but not the current version.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:47 AM
  • I will look again but everything I saw for port forwarding used ports 80/443/4125  even the book I bought,sams home server 2011 unleashed. I also tried to let it set up the connection then I switched to manual set up described in the book with no luck. What are the current ports used for WHS 2011?
    Mark
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:59 AM
  • I will look again but everything I saw for port forwarding used ports 80/443/4125  even the book I bought,sams home server 2011 unleashed. I also tried to let it set up the connection then I switched to manual set up described in the book with no luck. What are the current ports used for WHS 2011?

The book you bought was wrong about the ports. It's probably a lightweight re-edit of the book for V1; this is (regrettably) common in the industry.

And I've already told you what ports need to be forwarded.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:07 AM
  • Ok, not to beat a dead horse but I have set up port forwarding on TCP 80/443 with a DHCP IP address for the server (not hard) With UPnP unchecked and I even tried it with UPnP checked but get a 500 - Internal server error when I try to connect.

Mark Also Sheilds up reports ports 80 and 443 are open. I have checked and rechecked to make sure the DHCP server address is correct.
    • Edited by mark 0 Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:10 AM add
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:39 AM
  • Since I was getting no ware and I knew it was working before I did a OS restore and now all is working like it should again. Just need to do some updates to get me back to ware I was. I just regret not doing it sooner. Many hours beating my head on the screen could have been saved.
    Mark
    • Marked as answer by mark 0 Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:44 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:44 PM
  • In case it will help anyone else, I was having the same issues with this router and a new WHS 2011 install.  In my case, updating the routers firmware made UPNP work correctly.  The "check firmware upate" function in the routers admin failed to locate the firmware update, I had to go to D-Links website, find it, download it, then flash the firmware.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:29 AM
  •  So you restored the OS on the server (WHS 2011) and it worked? When I first connected the Buffalo router I just bought today (8/10/11). I didn't have UPnP turned on and said it didn't work. I turned it on, told the server to try again and it worked! Then I went to setup my laptop. Had speed issues at first but then I got the connection speed where it needs to be and then went back to the server just to make sure it still worked.

Well then it tried to find the router again, it couldn't and defeated Remote Access. 

I tried static IP and all that BS with forward ports and nothing works.

I'll try what you did tomorrow. 

• Edited by djfourmoney Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:57 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:42 AM
  • If you tried everything I did in my 1st post then it is most likely a setting change, AV Firewall or update that has changed something in your settings on you're computer. If you have another router laying around you may want to try to configure it and see if that works before buying a new one. I was unable to find what had caused the problem so I did a OS recovery to when it was working and that fixed the problem. As far as being slow that is another problem. Slow can be caused by many other things that I won't get into here. O-and yes this was all on the WHS 2011 Server I had no problems on my client computers.
    Mark
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:42 PM
  • If you tried everything I did in my 1st post then it is most likely a setting change, AV Firewall or update that has changed something in your settings on you're computer. If you have another router laying around you may want to try to configure it and see if that works before buying a new one. I was unable to find what had caused the problem so I did a OS recovery to when it was working and that fixed the problem. As far as being slow that is another problem. Slow can be caused by many other things that I won't get into here. O-and yes this was all on the WHS 2011 Server I had no problems on my client computers.
    Mark

Well I am not blaming the router (and its new) on the speed problems. It runs DD-WRT (Buffalo WHR-HP-G300Nv2) and there have been some problems with it. I am considering going to the "User Friendly" firmware as that seems to sort out many of the problems with this build of DD-WRT/Buffalo firmware.

I removed the static IP from the router (kept the ports forwarded and left UPnP on), rebooted the router to be safe and tried to connect again. It worked! I went to the URL and it showed the Remote Access page for the first time. I moved some files from my deskstop/htpc to the server no problem. But then when I tried to go to another page in Remote Access and it failed.

I went to my laptop this morning and it still doesn't work (URL). So who knows. As for updates, the HTPC updated yesterday before I tried any router related things. I also updated the server a few days ago. The laptop just got its updates.

For now I think I'll just switch to the User Friendly (stock) firmware to see if I can fix the signal strength problems with the router. UPnP is sort of hit and miss but it works with the router (that's twice now), it just won't stay working.

I'm trying to avoid restoring the OS on the Server actually, it could be the server after all though.

Friday, August 12, 2011 5:39 PM
  •  Well I changed the firmware to User Friendly and its connected at full speed. UPnP is defaulted in this firmware. I tried to connect the server and it said ports 80 and 443 were blocked. I unblocked those and Remote Access is now available. But that's where the joy stops. As I was previously able to access the server via Remote Access finally last night as I said before.

Now it I get "Remote device or resource won't accept the connection" in IE and won't connect at all with Chrome.

Possible issues include DNS Server does not have a listing for websites's domain. That sort of stuck out. I just logged onto the router and I don't see any problems.

This seems like the last hurdle, any suggestions?

Friday, August 12, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Well it sounds like you need to check out the DNS Settings. not sure what you are using for a DNS service but it may be there that the problem lies now. Sorry I can't be of more help. 
    Mark
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:36 AM
  • I'm using whatever is in the firmware, I'm not using a dynamic dns service. I flashed to the stock firmware (from DD-WRT) for better wireless performance since I'm not doing anything special with the router.

We have AT&T U-Verse and according to several sites they block Port 80. I have set the U-Verse RG to modem mode (turned off wireless, DMZPlus). This might be a better question for dslreports, who knows.

Edit -

When I did nslookup, I get:

Default Server: Unknown and the address is the same as the router. I also looked at network-tools.com and got this - 

Retrieving DNS records for 99-59-2-12.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net...

DNS servers
    ns1.swbell.net
    ns1.pbi.net
    ns2.swbell.net

Answer records
    99-59-2-12.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net   A 99.59.2.12 7200s

Authority records
    lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net NS ns1.swbell.net 172800s
    lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net NS ns2.swbell.net 172800s
    lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net NS ns1.pbi.net 172800s

Additional records
    ns1.swbell.net A 151.164.1.1 172800s
    ns1.pbi.net A 206.13.28.11 161402s
    ns2.swbell.net A 151.164.11.218 172800s

So should I put this values under Specify DNS Server IP Address? (ns1.swbell.net, ns1pbi.net or ns2.swbell.net) and use these?

Saturday, August 13, 2011 5:04 PM