Reinstall disabled RRS feed

• Question

• I have a home server and needed to reinstall.  I booted from the DVD and selected reinstall (format c, preserve other drives).  On the second boot screen where it shows install windows (blue screen) there was a error loading a driver, guess I used the wrong one.  The system is now stuck in a loop and can't do anything.

Ok my first best guess is just to start over again.  The problem is when I boot from DVD the only choice is full install.  The reinstall option is gone.  The warning states that all drives will be formatted I will lose all data.  This is dumb and not acceptable.  Why can't I just install to drive C, WHY, WHY, WHY!!!

Ok so do I have other choices?  First the boot loop it is stuck in... basically remove the driver from the install list?  Find a way to install on C without formating D?

Please someone help,
    John

John J. Hughes II
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 2:05 AM

Answers

• Hi John,
    The manufacture provided file that setup is trying to use is corrupted or invalid:
    for this error exist some KB articles like here.
    that discussion thread somebody deleted the file winnt.sif to get setup to continue. (I am not sure, if this plays a more important role for WHS setup than for XP, so renaming would be a better idea for testing.) Or load this file to notepad in the recovery command prompt and search for your faulty driver also here in the [MassStorageDrivers] section and remove the offending line.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Be patient at the end, since rebuilding the tombstones can take a lot of time, depending from the amount of files and the performance of the machine.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Olaf

Ok if I add the txtsetup.oem file with only [Disk] and [Default] I get the following error... it really wants those files....

The manufacturer provided file that Setup is trying

to use is corrupted or invalid:

[Section [SCSI] does not contain the description

[Win Server 2003 Promise FastTrak 376/378 (tm) Controller

Setup cannot continue, F3....

John J. Hughes II
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Hi John,
    user accounts, customizations (i.e. Remote Access configuration), updates, installed add-ins will not be preserved with a server reinstall.
    So yes, recreate the user accounts and assign them passwords and permissions for share access.
    Since you already can do the updates through the console, the tombstones should be completed, because you don't get access before.

If the computers do not automatically come in contact with your WHS (it may have a different IP address), run discovery.exe on each client (found in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server) to reestablish the connection.

Check (after completion of all upgrades) if you can open a client backup through the console and copy some files out of it. Since the backup database is relatively sensible, it makes sense to check this as soon as possible, and if necessary, clean out a damaged backup database. (The risk level depends from the reasons for the reinstall.)

Olaf
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Great, I am working again :)..  Thanks for the tip about the discovery.exe program, saved a lot of time.  Seems the backup were all good and the server says it is healthy and all the users are connected again.  Tonight it should return to the normal backup, will check tomorrow to make sure.

Again thank you so much :)
    John J. Hughes II
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:54 PM

All replies

• Hi John,
    do you see the blue screen afer the first reboot for a short moment, asking for pressing the F6 key? This is the chance to provide the driver via a floppy disk.
    How many disks do you have?
    If not too many, you can try to go into the Bios and change the operation mode of your SATA controller to IDE (ATA/PATA).
    While in Bios, check also, if the disks are still in the proper boot sequence.
    The other method would be, to boot from a Vista DVD or something similar, open the command prompt in the repair environment and copy the extracted SATA controller driver files (for Windows Server 2003, or in some cases Windows XP drivers may work) to C:\Windows\system32\drivers and the inf file to C:\Windows\inf.

If this all not works, please check this FAQ.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 12:39 PM
  • Olaf,

The problem is during the blue screen.  First it says press F6 (does not work), then F2 (don't have disk), and then error message.  Still blue screen.  I will try the Vista boot thing next and hope.  I really don't understand why someone selling a backup solution would insist on deleting the backup, amazing.

I have 4 drives and they are in the correct boot order and stuff.  The problem is when I was asked to load the drivers on the reinstall screen I gave the RAID instead of the STA drivers ( I think ).  Either that or the loaded drivers never got copied, not sure.

Windows Setup
    ===========
    File \$WIN_NT$. ~BT\$OEM$\Win2003\fasttx2k.sys could not be loaded.
    the error code is 14

Setup cannot continue.  press any key to exit

Regards,
    John

John J. Hughes II
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 12:53 PM
  • Olaf,

Ok using a Vista disk I edit the $WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$ directory but adding the Win2003 directory and copying the files it was looking for into it.  This got me past the first error and I am now on the second error.  Basically it says that one of the files is missing or invalid in [Files.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_net].  I have tried replacing the files from a USB stick but that did not help.

What I think would be the best thing is to disable the loading of the driver, I don't need it.  It is the driver for the motherboard but I am not using RAID so I don't need it.

I have tried removing the files and it complain the oem setup file is missing, so I put it back.  I have tried editing the files based on other threads but that give the same results.

I edit the file as below so there is only the one driver and it is in the same path instead of the Win2003.  I am assuming the "\" mean current path rather then root.  I have put the five files in the same directory $WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$.

I have looked at the log file in the install directory but it does not seem to be useful.

Is there a file I can edit to stop the system from loading this driver or tell it to skip it???

Regards,
    John

[Disks]
    d1 = "Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver Diskette", \fasttx2k, \

[Defaults]
    scsi = FastTrak_TX2K_net

[scsi]
    FastTrak_TX2K_net  = "Win Server 2003 Promise FastTrak 376/378 (tm) Controller", fasttx2k

[Files.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_net]
    driver = d1, fasttx2k.sys, fasttx2k
    dll    = d1, ptipbmf.dll
    inf    = d1, fasttx2k.inf
    catalog= d1, fasttx2k.cat

[HardwareIds.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_net]
    id="PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3376", "fasttx2k"
    id="PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373", "fasttx2k"

[Config.fasttx2k]
    value = "", Tag, REG_DWORD, 1

John J. Hughes II
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Hi John,
    some more untested ideas:

• Run regedit from your Vista DVD command prompt.
    • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    • Click File/Load Hive int he menu.
    • Navigate the to system partition of your WHS and drill down to Windows\system32\config.
    • Select the file with the name system (I hope it exists already in this early stage).
    • As name for the temporary key enter whssystem.
    • Within this key navigate to the subkey  ControlSet001\Services.
    • Find the troublemaking driver here and change the value for Start within it's key to 4 (which means disabled) or delete the key.
    • Reboot and swap the WHS DVD in again.

If this is not possible, because the file still is not there or if this doesn't help, what about removing the fasttx2k.inf file from all locations on the disk (including C:\Windows\inf)?
    Olaf

Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:57 PM
  • Thanks again Olaf,

Ok I removed all the fasttx2k data files from C drive.  There were a lot, seems I am starting to remember my dos commands.  Oh well now I have the following error:

Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server Setup
    The manufacture provided file that setup is trying to use
    is currupted or invalid:

line 1 contains a syntax error.  (no it does not say which file)

Setup cannot contineu.  To quit setup, press F3 (no useful).

In regards to the registry and such I don't have a windows directory yet, I don't think the installer is that far along.

I tried a blank txtsetup.oem file in the $OEM$ directories but that did not help.  Maybe I should just remove the $OEM$ directory, I am not sure, there are a few of them.

John J. Hughes II
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:26 PM
  • Olaf

Ok if I add the txtsetup.oem file with only [Disk] and [Default] I get the following error... it really wants those files....

The manufacturer provided file that Setup is trying

to use is corrupted or invalid:

[Section [SCSI] does not contain the description

[Win Server 2003 Promise FastTrak 376/378 (tm) Controller

Setup cannot continue, F3....

John J. Hughes II
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Hi John,
    The manufacture provided file that setup is trying to use is corrupted or invalid:
    for this error exist some KB articles like here.
    that discussion thread somebody deleted the file winnt.sif to get setup to continue. (I am not sure, if this plays a more important role for WHS setup than for XP, so renaming would be a better idea for testing.) Or load this file to notepad in the recovery command prompt and search for your faulty driver also here in the [MassStorageDrivers] section and remove the offending line.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Thanks again for the reply Olaf,

I am not installed yet but i am watching the 34 minutes left screen :)

I got some hints from the following link:

http://www.itnewsgroups.net/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.general/topic10963.aspx

Basicall it is not totally correct but the basic concept is the you have to comment out the dll file and put it in the $OEM$\$$ folder and I place "", \fasttx2k, \" instead of just ending with a ',' like suggested.

Will drop a note if I get it back to where it was., 24 minutes left
    John J. Hughes II
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:11 PM
  • Be patient at the end, since rebuilding the tombstones can take a lot of time, depending from the amount of files and the performance of the machine.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:03 PM
  •  ok, will I am doing the zillion updates at the moment...  I am waiting to touch anything until that is done but at the moment the data is seen  but the users are missing.  Just add the user as they were or will it fix that itself.  I understand rebuilding the tombstones will take a while but is there anything I should do except for the update?

Thanks again for the help and support
    John J. Hughes II
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:09 PM
  • Hi John,
    user accounts, customizations (i.e. Remote Access configuration), updates, installed add-ins will not be preserved with a server reinstall.
    So yes, recreate the user accounts and assign them passwords and permissions for share access.
    Since you already can do the updates through the console, the tombstones should be completed, because you don't get access before.

If the computers do not automatically come in contact with your WHS (it may have a different IP address), run discovery.exe on each client (found in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server) to reestablish the connection.

Check (after completion of all upgrades) if you can open a client backup through the console and copy some files out of it. Since the backup database is relatively sensible, it makes sense to check this as soon as possible, and if necessary, clean out a damaged backup database. (The risk level depends from the reasons for the reinstall.)

Olaf
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Great, I am working again :)..  Thanks for the tip about the discovery.exe program, saved a lot of time.  Seems the backup were all good and the server says it is healthy and all the users are connected again.  Tonight it should return to the normal backup, will check tomorrow to make sure.

Again thank you so much :)
    John J. Hughes II
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:54 PM