KB905474 RRS feed

• Question

• Windows update downloaded KB905474 automatically, however the installation failed half-way through and I had to reboot.  I got the message on the log in screen telling me my software was not genuine and then the PC failed to boot several times, crashing as the desktop loaded up.  CTRL, ALT DEL didn't work the PC just froze.

I re-booted in safe mode (which worked).  There was no uninstallation information in Add/Remove programmes so I rolled back my PC with System restore.  The PC worked fine.

KB905474 was showing in the system tray so I attempted to install again.  This time it appeared to work with the usual message about not shutting the PC off manually until the update had installed correctly.  However, upon re-boot the same problems persisted.  Once again, I rolled back the software.

This may just be a installation problem and not one to the with the validation software itself.  Anyone have any ideas?  Is there a way of deleting the downloaded (but uninstalled) software from my PC?  At the moment I;m having to switch off without applying ther update but its only a matter of time before someone else switches it off when I'm not there.

I am using genuine software - the validation website says so - what's the problem?

Friday, June 2, 2006 10:18 AM

Answers