laptop backup scheduling, etc. RRS feed

• Question

• First off, I for one am really jazzed about this thing and what it might bring to my business (and my home) when it comes on line.  Automated backups alone are well worth the price of admission (hopefully) IMHO.

My laptops are not used everyday.  It seems silly to me to not be able to change the periodicity of the backups.  Every night is overkill for some of my desktops even, but since it is automatic, what the hey.  Is there a way to make the scheduled backups of individual machines weekly, for instance?  If not, why not?  I have to keep my laptops on or else ignore the nagging code orange or reds.  I also noticed that when clearing the warning issues on the server, the tray icons do not refresh to green until a reboot of each workstation.

I understood that the remote access was not available in the beta, but I see it referred to as operational in some of the blog postings.  This feature is #2 in importance to me right after the backups.  Can I set up remote access, or is that just for MS employees at this point?

WHS Athlon 1400 512mb 80gig IDE/400gig SATA

Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:57 AM

Answers

• Backup scheduling: There are several items on Connect, here, here and here, regarding this issue. You should weigh in on those issues.

Remote access: it does work. What is unavailable in the beta is a preconfigured dynamic DNS entry through some Microsoft-associated provider (probably Windows Live). However, if you can configure your router to forward ports 80 (optional), 443 and 4125 to your WHS, and you can set up dynamic DNS (it's easy; there are several sites, such as DynDNS and no-ip, that have free versions) then you can probably use Remote Access. Otherwise you need to use your external IP address.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:29 PM

All replies

• Backup scheduling: There are several items on Connect, here, here and here, regarding this issue. You should weigh in on those issues.

Remote access: it does work. What is unavailable in the beta is a preconfigured dynamic DNS entry through some Microsoft-associated provider (probably Windows Live). However, if you can configure your router to forward ports 80 (optional), 443 and 4125 to your WHS, and you can set up dynamic DNS (it's easy; there are several sites, such as DynDNS and no-ip, that have free versions) then you can probably use Remote Access. Otherwise you need to use your external IP address.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:29 PM
  • I had similiar concerns, however now I am less concerned about it as:

• The backups are "incremental" in that nothing is actually backed up if nothing on the respective machine has changed.
    • The backups are "single instance" if you have the same file on multiple machines only a single copy of that file is on the server. In other words if you have 10 Windows Vista machines each with Office 2007 installed, there will only be a single "copy" of Windows Vista & Office 2007 in the backup data on the server.
    • Backups will happen for machines that are suspended!!! I leave my laptop turned on, but suspended. When WHS needs to backup that machine, that machine will wake up, do the backup, then suspend again.

Jay

Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:45 PM
  • I am fully aware of how the backups work; that is not the issue.  The issue is the laptop sits in the laptop bag unless I go out on the road - maybe once a week.  I have absolutely no use for it at the home or office, since I have desktops and loathe the feel of laptop keyboards and touchpads.  I should not have to be "warned" that the backup hasn't occurred.  The laptop has been off.  Therefore, there should be a way to make backups for machines like this either "on-demand", or even weekly or some other period that I choose.  Just because you leave your laptop on does not mean that everyone does nor should they need to.  I see no sense nor purpose at all to leave it on solely to avoid being warned that it has not been backed up.  And I see no sense in being warned that this particular machine has not been backed up, since it has not been on.  This suggestion and reason for this forum (my understanding of it anyway) is for bugs, features and options that have not been thought of or witnessed by development.  No amount of explanation as to how it works will change the way I use my computers nor should I be expected nor compelled to do so.  The software should be adaptable to the user and not the other way around.  This is not a complaint; merely an observation and a suggestion for better software to serve end users' needs. Programmers often lose sight that they are programming for end users and not for themselves.  That is a phenomenon that has plagued the industry forever and was referred to in college courses back when I was getting my degree - in programming, a dozen or more years ago.

Ed Adams,  Computer and Network repair, implementation and maintenance.  Also the first time I ever used an emoticon!

Friday, March 30, 2007 2:19 AM
  • You did notice that I mostly agree with you? Although, as I tried to explain, for me its not as big an concern now as when I first thought about it ;-)

Rather then mess with individual backup schedules. I would like to see some flexibility on when the system starts nagging that a machine wasn't backed up. I would also like to see better control on which machine gets nagged & how often they get nagged. For example my kid's computer should not be nagged that my wife's computer was not backed up. Nor do my kid's care theirs wasn't backed up. However my computer, me being the administor, should be nagged that either the kid's or wife's computer didn't get backup up. Although I'm a big boy & only want to be told once that a specific computer wasn't backed up. Further I only want to know right away (read the next day) that a machine's backup failed due to an error. I do not consider a backup not starting, due to the machine not being turned on, to be an error. I do consider no backups within the last week to be a problem.

Jay

Friday, March 30, 2007 4:39 PM
  • Let's bring this down to the simplest terms.  The software needs to serve the end-user, not the end-user serving the software.  I posted this suggestion elsewhere trying to make sure that the developers get it.  I have enough annoyances in my life without my supposedly no brainer WHS giving me more, when they could be avoided by allowing this feature which is no doubt in Server 2003 and probably been disabled for WHS.
    Friday, March 30, 2007 5:10 PM
  • Folks -

I put this subject in as a suggestion a while back:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=264569

If you agree - vote on it. The more votes it gets the better the chance MS will do something.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:36 AM
  • Which "new feature"?

• Automatic backups - which is a feature of Windows Home Server that is *not* part of Windows Server 2003.
    • Backup notification - which again is a feature of Windows Home Server that is again *not* part of Windows Server 2003.

I agree software needs to serve the end-user, I would add that it needs to serve all or as many as possible end users as it can, not a single or small minority of end-users.

If you want to make sure WHS developers get it, you need to submit it to connect.

I find these forums useful to openly discuss the issues so that other aspects & solutions to a problem can be considered and hopefully MS can implement a solution that is simpliest for the greatest number of end users...

Just a thought

Jay

Monday, April 2, 2007 4:51 PM