Windows 7 will not accept my reinstallation DVD COA RRS feed

• Question

• After a particularly nasty virus attack I was getting occasional BSoDs so I decided to reformat and reinstall Windows 7 Professional on my Dell Dimension Power Edge T105, but I could not find my x64 bit reinstall DVD, only the x32 bit disk.  So I went ahead and reformatted then installed Windows from another non-Dell Windows 7 package I own, thinking that I had 30 days to find the Dell x64 re-installation disk and grab the COA to activate the installation.  

All well and good so far.  Now some 20 days later, I have been rebuilding the machine nicely and almost got it back to where it was before the virus infection trashed it.  

And now I have found my Dell x64 re-installation DVD, but the COA (CN-XXXXXX-XXXXX-XXX-XXXX) is not accepted as valid (in fact it won't let me enter past the "CN"), by the standard commercial release of Windows 7 Professional activation process. 

How do I get round this since I do not want to have to reinstall everything all over again?

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:56 PM

Answers

• It doesn't say either x32 0r x64 actually, but the problem is solved anyway.  I just realized I was entering the wrong code.  

The code from the re-installation DVD is quite different.  

OK, using the key from the label on the machine works of course.  Duh!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:08 PM

All replies

• Hello PubDirLtd,

Does the Dell CoA on the computer state 32-bit or 64-bit?

The CN number is not the product key.  The product key is in a 5 x 5 format, five groupings of five characters each.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:00 PM
  • It doesn't say either x32 0r x64 actually, but the problem is solved anyway.  I just realized I was entering the wrong code.  

The code from the re-installation DVD is quite different.  

OK, using the key from the label on the machine works of course.  Duh!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:08 PM