Connector will not install on one client RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for some help.  I have been working on this since 06/10/08.  See MS Connect feedback #350322.  On all but one client I can not get the PP1 connector upgrade to install.  The system is running Window XP Pro w/sp3.  I have tried with just about everything I can think of.  Firewall disabled, cable modem disconnected from router, anti virus disabled, in safe mode, etc.  The only way I can get the connector to install is off the orginal CD.  I have been keeping up with a lot of the suggestions that have showed up here, and on the feedback but still no one can come up with a way to get it working.

Emory Lehman

Friday, August 29, 2008 8:37 PM

Answers

• elehman3 said:
    Where are these setting located?  I have my router set up to get DNS from OpenDNS because of the problems I have been having with my children accessing unacceptable web sites.

There are known problems between OpenDNS and Windows Home Server. I don't think it's related to your current, but you may want to try setting your DNS servers to those specified by your ISP.

On the client with the issue, what happens when you open a command prompt and try to ping your server by name? By IP address?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 11:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Emory,

sounds like an endless story, and with so many stuff already tried there are remaining only a few shots into the blue which may ore may not help going further in diagnostics:

• Are there any related (or in the first view unrelated) errors and warnings in the clients event log?
    • Did you try to delete temporary internet files and clean out also %temp% folder?
    • Did you try to uninstall the old version and delete the Windows Home Server folder in C:\Program Files after that?
    • Are there any special Add ons in Internet Explorer deactivated or active?
    • Could be a popup blocker or a 3rd party security tool the reason?
    • nslookup yourhomeservername brings the proper IP address back on the client, as well as
      nbtstat -A IPofYourHomeserver results back in proper names?
    • Is your system multihomed, i.e. has multiple network cards? May also be wannabe network cards like Firewire or Bluetooth. If yes, try to disable those, or at least change their priority in Network Properties/Advanced properties.
    • Try also to use a manual configuration mode for your network adapter (instead of Autosense only 100 MBit/Half duplex or something like this)
    • There are no typos in the network card TCP/settings? (I experienced some strange results on a system years ago, as it got its own IP address as subnet mask by such a typo. Most things still did work, some not ...) If you try manual settings for TCP/IP, check also the Advanced button, that there are no strange remains on some of the tabs.

Do you have another network card in your hands, which you could try out as well with that system?

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Friday, August 29, 2008 9:31 PM
  • Hi

I also had problems with one of my computers running Windows XP and installing the connector.

My symptoms were that I could access shares on the WHS from the pc, ping both ways etc, but during the installation of the connector it would always halt the installation of the connector right after you're asked to supply the WHS password.

It turned out that in my ip-settings the "obtain dns-server automatically" was disabled and instead the ip to an external dns-server was set. So each time the WHS connector tried to access the dns-name of the server, it would instead try and connect to an ip-adress outside my router.

Magnus

Sunday, August 31, 2008 9:15 AM
  • Olaf,

Ok so tomorrow I will try to reinstall the connector off the server on this client that I am having problems with.  What log files do you want me to post?

I'll start here:

• Did you try to delete temporary internet files and clean out also %temp% folder? Yes, all contents of the temp folder is deleted. I even run ccleaner, and windows washer.
    • Did you try to uninstall the old version and delete the Windows Home Server folder in C:\Program Files after that? Yes
    • Are there any special Add ons in Internet Explorer deactivated or active? No (note: IE has some sort of problem on this system, if you type a url, and it has to look it up then IE locks up, and the system shows 100% cpu load.)
    • Could be a popup blocker or a 3rd party security tool the reason? None installed.
    • nslookup yourhomeservername brings the proper IP address back on the client, as well as
      nbtstat -A IPofYourHomeserver results back in proper names? Will have to try tomorrow.
    • Is your system multihomed, i.e. has multiple network cards? May also be wannabe network cards like Firewire or Bluetooth. If yes, try to disable those, or at least change their priority in Network Properties/Advanced properties.  Yes, but Firewire, Hamachi, etc. are disabled in windows, only the one ethernet port is enabled.
    • Try also to use a manual configuration mode for your network adapter (instead of Autosense only 100 MBit/Half duplex or something like this) Haven't tried yet.
    • There are no typos in the network card TCP/settings? (I experienced some strange results on a system years ago, as it got its own IP address as subnet mask by such a typo. Most things still did work, some not ...) If you try manual settings for TCP/IP, check also the Advanced button, that there are no strange remains on some of the tabs.  None to be found.  All set on automatic.

Do you have another network card in your hands, which you could try out as well with that system?  Yes, maybe last resort.

Magnus,

Where are these setting located?  I have my router set up to get DNS from OpenDNS because of the problems I have been having with my children accessing unacceptable web sites.

Also I have tried installing the connector with the cable modem unplugged from the router, so there is no access "out" to the internet at that time. 

Also I haven't tried this yet, but will also tomorrow:

1) Browse to the \\<Server Name>\Software\Home Server Connector Software\
    2) Run 'Setup' as administrator
    3) After the installation fails, close the program
    4) Browse to the local Windows Home Server Directory, usually C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\
    5) Select 'Discovery', Right Click, select copy; Create short-cut on desktop
    6) On the newly created short-cut, right click, select properties.
    7) Select the 'Compatibility' tab, check the box 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:', then select Windows 98 / Windows Me
    8) Click OK and run the short cut as administrator.
    9) Follow instructions as normal and the connector should finish the configuration stage.

I have 2 laptops, 1 with Visa Home Premium, and the other with XP Home; 1 system running Windows MCE2005; and 4 others running Windows XP Pro w/SP3 that the connector installed with out any problems.  There is just one client with Windows XP Pro w/SP3 that the connector will not install on, and of course it is the one that is the most used by both myself and my wife. 

From this laptop:

nslookup server

Server:  DD-WRT
    Address:  192.168.1.1

Name:    server
    Address:  192.168.1.3

nbtstat -A 192.168.1.3

Local Area Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

Bluetooth Network Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

Wireless Network Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.20] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status

---------------------------------------------

SERVER         <00>  UNIQUE      Registered

WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered

SERVER         <20>  UNIQUE      Registered

WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered

WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered

..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-02-2A-BE-DD-BC

Emory Lehman

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 4:06 AM
  • elehman3 said:

There are known problems between OpenDNS and Windows Home Server. I don't think it's related to your current, but you may want to try setting your DNS servers to those specified by your ISP.

On the client with the issue, what happens when you open a command prompt and try to ping your server by name? By IP address?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 11:21 AM
  • elehman3 said:

Magnus,

Also I have tried installing the connector with the cable modem unplugged from the router, so there is no access "out" to the internet at that time. 

Emory Lehman

I was talking about the tcp/ip-settings on my xp-client, not my router. And yes, it was set to use the dns-servers from OpenDNS for some strange reason instead of the default dns-service from my isp. Once that was changed, the installation-client for the connector found my WHS and everything worked.

I knew the problem had to be on the xp-client though, since 2 Vista-clients and 1 xp-client installed the connector without any problem. I'm just abit annoyed that I didnt come up with an answer right away, but actually had to sleep on it, since I've  been toying around with computers (both professionally and in my private life) for nearly 20 years now. I guess it just shows that you cant be an expert in everything all the time...

Magnus

Friday, September 5, 2008 6:05 AM