Office 2000.. what now? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got Office 2000 and I get this...

Why didn’t my machine complete validation?

No Office products eligible for validation were found on this PC. This may be due to one of the following:

• The version of Office installed on this PC is earlier than Office XP.
    • There are currently no Office applications installed on this PC.
    • The version of Office you are using is hosted on another computer or a terminal server. Read more about this in the FAQ

What do I do now ?

Saturday, December 2, 2006 6:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm sorry that you are having difficulties.  Can you reply back with the link of the download you are trying to obtain?  Then I can have our contact in the Office team verify what the download parameters (i.e., versions of Office, etc).

Thanks,
    Michelle

Friday, December 15, 2006 1:25 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks again for the Christmas wishes, I appreciate that.  I wish the same to you and your family.

OK...so this is what I found out.  The Lead Site Manager (for Office Online) will be looking into this further.  What he is going to do is contact the 'current' PM for each download that specifically calls out Office 2000.  He will have the PM verify if a download is marked Windows 2000, if it does indeed require genuine validation or not (it should be 'not').  So, it looks like this will be a general 'clean-up' exercise for the Office team.  He said this may take them some time because some of the downloads are multiple years old and it may take some time to track down the content owner (PM). 

Thanks for alerting us to this and if you run across issues in the future, please let us know!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that within the next few months they'll have everything updated so other customers do not run into the same issue that you had.

Thanks!
    Michelle

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 7:54 PM
  •  IMN_ngineer wrote:

Well Michelle, it looks like finger-crossing didn't do any good. Here it is more than two months later and I just fail to download sounds.exe because my GENUINE copy of Office 2000 wouldn't validate.

Apparently Microsoft felt that it wasn't enough of an inconvenience to require us to keep our Office CD in our pocket because we need it for every little update since SR-1. Now they are making it just plain impossible!

Makes me want to run right out and spend money on Vista.... NOT!

Hi IMN_ngineer,

I can understand your frustration, unfortunately since we are part of the Windows division, we (the WGA team) do not own the Office content, or how they choose to publish it.  During the publishing process, the Office content owner selects validation required (yes or not) and which Office versions are eligible for the download.  Sitting at home today, I went to Microsoft Download Center to verify the add-in (sounds.exe) to see what the download details are displayed as.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8bb981d-2a23-4d1a-8310-457c733be290&DisplayLang=en

It now shows this as the title:  Office XP/2003 Add-in: Office Sounds  -- The icon indicates genuine validation 'required'.

It also shows this as the system requirements:

System Requirements

• Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 98; Windows ME; Windows NT
    • This download works with the following Office programs:

• Microsoft Office 2003
      • Microsoft Office XP

It shows that the update is intended for Office XP and Office 2003.  I'm sorry that you are upset, that is certainly not our intent.  I will be sure to make note of your post and comments and send it over to our counterparts within the Office organization so they are aware of them.

THANK YOU for providing the feedback, I certainly do appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:23 PM

All replies

• Office 2000 does not require validation since it is an old product.
    Saturday, December 2, 2006 11:32 AM
  • Just saw this. My office 2000 pro won't validate either and I can't download things because it won't.

Thanks for your help

Friday, December 8, 2006 6:11 PM
  • I too run a genuine copy of Microsoft Office 2000.  I'm trying to download sounds.exe, which the website claims provides sound in Office 2000, XP & 2003.  Unfortunately, I have exactly the same problem, Office 2000 WILL NOT validate.  I wrote to microsoft.com about this issue.  They referred me to Microsoft UK.  Microsoft UK suggested I try here.  All I want is a simple sound file!!  Why does this have to be so difficult?

Thursday, December 14, 2006 4:10 PM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry that you are having difficulties.  Can you reply back with the link of the download you are trying to obtain?  Then I can have our contact in the Office team verify what the download parameters (i.e., versions of Office, etc).

Thanks,
    Michelle

Friday, December 15, 2006 1:25 AM
  • Hello Michelle & thank you for your prompt response.  Below is the link you requested.  This whole Office Validation thing does seem a bit silly & quite unnecessary.  I fail to understand why Microsoft asks for validation, then fails Office users like me simply because we run an older version.  Are you aware that you can visit microsoft.de & download the file in German without validation being required?  None of this makes sense to me...
    Best Wishes & Merry Christmas
    Tim

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C8BB981D-2A23-4D1A-8310-457C733BE290&displaylang=en

Michelle Holtmann MSFT wrote:

Hi,

I'm sorry that you are having difficulties. Can you reply back with the link of the download you are trying to obtain? Then I can have our contact in the Office team verify what the download parameters (i.e., versions of Office, etc).

Thanks,
    Michelle

Friday, December 15, 2006 9:41 AM
  • Thank you for the link.    I am going to tie out with the Office team and ask them to check their publishing logic.  They will have to verify which versions of Office this update was meant for, etc.  I will post back as soon as I hear from them.  Hang tight.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family as well. 

Thanks,
    Michelle

Monday, December 18, 2006 11:01 PM
  • Thanks Michelle

As I've now downloaded the German language version, this is not so much of an issue for me. What I don't understand is why this file (sounds.exe) is freely available on a European Microsoft website, when it still requires validation both here in the UK & with you in the USA. I'll wait to see what you achieve...

Enjoy the Christmas Holiday
    Best Wishes
    Tim
    Tuesday, December 19, 2006 6:01 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks again for the Christmas wishes, I appreciate that.  I wish the same to you and your family.

OK...so this is what I found out.  The Lead Site Manager (for Office Online) will be looking into this further.  What he is going to do is contact the 'current' PM for each download that specifically calls out Office 2000.  He will have the PM verify if a download is marked Windows 2000, if it does indeed require genuine validation or not (it should be 'not').  So, it looks like this will be a general 'clean-up' exercise for the Office team.  He said this may take them some time because some of the downloads are multiple years old and it may take some time to track down the content owner (PM). 

Thanks for alerting us to this and if you run across issues in the future, please let us know!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that within the next few months they'll have everything updated so other customers do not run into the same issue that you had.

Thanks!
    Michelle

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 7:54 PM
  • First of all, Hello to everyone and thanks for posting this thread.  I've been looking for a solution to the EXACT same problem.

I understand from Michelle's last post that the LSM for Office Online will be working on resolving this issues, but it also sounds like it's going to involve more than just the sounds downloading issue.  I am wondering and concerned over Michelle stating she is 'keeping her fingers crossed that within the next few months they'll have everything updated so other customers do not run into the same issue..."

I appreciate the fact that an effort to check to see that all Office 2000 updates won't have the same problems with downloading as the sounds update, but do we really have to wait a few months just to get our sounds?  Since this is a KNOWN issue, why not fix it now and continue checking the other updates for issues AT THE SAME TIME?

I, too, own an original, genuine, 2-CD copy of Microsoft Office 2000 Professional software that is installed on a single PC and have performed the updates (up to Service Pak 3) without a problem until I tried to download the sounds.exe update and found I couldn't.  I don't want to wait MONTHS for something that could simply be re-linked for us GENUINE Office 2000 Users to download.  I'm even open to having Microsoft "zip" it to me via email if that expedites things.

I appreciate your efforts and hope this simple matter can be resolved shortly.

Have a safe, restful and pleasant Winter season, Everyone!  :)

Thanks!

MidKnight333

Thursday, December 21, 2006 1:21 AM
  • If it helps, I can easily email sounds.exe recently downloaded from microsoft.de or simply post the download link to this forum.  FYI - this is a German language version of the file which does not require validation for download.

Please let me know if you are interested...

Merry Christmas to you all
    Thursday, December 21, 2006 4:53 PM
  • Well Michelle, it looks like finger-crossing didn't do any good. Here it is more than two months later and I just fail to download sounds.exe because my GENUINE copy of Office 2000 wouldn't validate.

Apparently Microsoft felt that it wasn't enough of an inconvenience to require us to keep our Office CD in our pocket because we need it for every little update since SR-1. Now they are making it just plain impossible!

Saturday, February 24, 2007 11:22 PM
  •  IMN_ngineer wrote:

Well Michelle, it looks like finger-crossing didn't do any good. Here it is more than two months later and I just fail to download sounds.exe because my GENUINE copy of Office 2000 wouldn't validate.

Hi IMN_ngineer,

I can understand your frustration, unfortunately since we are part of the Windows division, we (the WGA team) do not own the Office content, or how they choose to publish it.  During the publishing process, the Office content owner selects validation required (yes or not) and which Office versions are eligible for the download.  Sitting at home today, I went to Microsoft Download Center to verify the add-in (sounds.exe) to see what the download details are displayed as.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8bb981d-2a23-4d1a-8310-457c733be290&DisplayLang=en

It now shows this as the title:  Office XP/2003 Add-in: Office Sounds  -- The icon indicates genuine validation 'required'.

It also shows this as the system requirements:

System Requirements

• Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 98; Windows ME; Windows NT
    • This download works with the following Office programs:

• Microsoft Office 2003
      • Microsoft Office XP

It shows that the update is intended for Office XP and Office 2003.  I'm sorry that you are upset, that is certainly not our intent.  I will be sure to make note of your post and comments and send it over to our counterparts within the Office organization so they are aware of them.

THANK YOU for providing the feedback, I certainly do appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:23 PM
  • Hi!

It's August 2007 and I am having the exact same problem everyone else in this thread is/was having.  I went to microsoft.de and found the file you're speaking about; however, everything, of course, in written in German.....including the downloading and installation instructions.  Problem is.....I don't know a word of German.....lol.  Then I read further down in the threads and see where they are saying that the English version works only on Office XP or later.  Does the German version work with Office 2000, and if so, how can I install it without being able to read the German instructions.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 9, 2007 2:42 AM
  • RDTOL,

Office 2000 does not require validation. What problems are you experiencing?

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 9:58 PM
  • Stephen

That IS the problem!

Obviously you didn't read the whole post.

If you try to add "Feedback with Sound" to your Genuine, Original, with-COA Microsoft Office 2000, a pop-up tells you that you have to click Help/Office on the Web to download the add-in.

When you do, searching for OFFICE 2000 add-ins, you do indeed find a link for Office Sounds, specifying Office 2000, XP, and 2003.

However, when you click the link, it takes you to a download page for the Office Sounds add-in, but THIS page says it only applies to XP & 2003 and VALIDATION IS REQUIRED!

Of course, Office 2000 predates the MS Paranoia Test (Oops, I mean Genuine Advantage {for MS}), so it fails. If that's not enough information for you, I can send you screenshots.

This, Stephen, is why so many users are still using Office 2000. Microsoft is putting it's defense against the small percentage of software pirates ABOVE servicing the enormous majority of PAYING CUSTOMERS. Upgrading beyond Anything 2000 opens a whole can of worms that any IT professional is all too familiar with. It's the same reason that Windows XP lives on, even though Vista has been out for so long...

Listen folks, the reason they can't seem to fix this is that the sounds.exe file for Office 2000 is EXACTLY THE SAME as the one for XP and 2003. Microsoft is so afraid that a software pirate might get a download that they are (obviously) quite willing to say "screw you" to all of us who PAID GOOD MONEY for a MS product.

I wouldn't mind so much, if they would just admit it...

Tim Watson

IT Professional

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:42 PM
  • Mainstream support for Office 2000 products ended back on 06/30/2004.

Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&p1=2484&x=8&y=12

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:59 PM
  • So office has a use by date?

Just like all the others who posted above, I too have run into problems with office 2000.

I run vista home (I still buy from you).

Is there no kind of download you can give us who use this version of office so we are automatically seen as valid ?

Or better still put a little extra code into the tool so it no longer reads office 2000 as invalid?

Saturday, February 2, 2008 10:21 PM
  • Carey

Yes, you are correct that mainstream support has ended for Office 2000.

However, like the people at Microsoft, you miss the point of the entire thread. Office 2000 isn't broken. We're not looking for Microsoft to fix Office 2000.

It's the Office Update website that is broken. It is applying validation rules to products that are pre-validation.

Is the Office Update site also past it's End-Of-Life date? Is Office Update now a "Legacy" application that MS no longer supports?

From a programming standpoint, fixing the problem is trivial. It's obvious that this isn't an "oops", because right here in this thread MS techs have reported the problem to MS. So, a decision was made to NOT fix it.

I have found that even Microsoft, in it's institutional paranoia, is usually fair about support resources for legacy products. They still make available tons of information and downloads on the MS site for older products, even though they don't add to them. That's server space and bandwidth, and they don't "have" to do it.

Therefore, it would seem to me that the Office division probably made the decision to just leave this broken. Some marketing "genius" probably said "Let them by Office 2007 if they want sounds."

Yeah, like THAT will happen  - I've tried it, and I'll stick to Office 2000, just like I'll stick to XP.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:47 PM
  • I see this thread was still being monitored quite recently so I'll add my comments here. I found the thread when I searched microsoft.com for information on how to resolve this conundrum, of downloading an Office 2000 update that demanded validation of my Office installation, when the site itself declared that an Office version prior to XP could not be validated.

I found the updates I'm interested in by drilling down through the categories, so I know I am specifically trying to download from a section that has only Office 2000 updates. I know I didn't accidentally choose an update intended for a different Office version. 

I was able to download quite a few updates and add-ins, and especially security patches, but at some point while I was trying to download an Excel update, I got stuck. I got a page that said this download requires validation, and then began the Catch-22 that's described here. The validation could not be completed since the Office version is prior to XP, but the update I would like to get is specifically for this pre-XP, un-validatable version.

It's not the biggest tragedy, at least in my opinion and in our situation. Office 2K is working fine as it is and we will be updating most of our computers to Office 2007 within the next two months anyway. Only one computer will stay with Office 2K because the Office 2007 licenses we will have (1 Home & Student version + 1 Pro version) won't stretch far enough to cover all our 'puters, LOL.

It just struck me as strange that no one's realized the basic error and fixed it (i.e., updates meant specifically for Office 2000 shouldn't require validation), and somewhat frustrating. I'm sure if I spent a lot of energy on it, I'd be able to find a workaround for specific updates, but I haven't seen any specific update I need that badly.

I agree with what someone said upthread, Microsoft's pretty good about leaving support materials available onsite even after they officially stop supporting products. I can still find updates (not new updates, I mean updates to the original installation files) for Office 97, which I used until a couple of months ago in a foreign language version, and it's been very helpful to me because some of those were critical to make the apps run smoothly in multiple languages. Office 97 is a great product but it was from before MS got the multi-language thing right. Well, they still didn't get it right, at least not for bi-directional languages, but it used to be even worse than it is now. Smile.

Well, onward to the brave new world of validated installations for all!

Thursday, April 3, 2008 10:02 PM
  • OK, to save time let me agree with problem statement quoted below . . .

falconress wrote:

I see this thread was still being monitored quite recently so I'll add my comments here. I found the thread when I searched microsoft.com for information on how to resolve this conundrum, of downloading an Office 2000 update that demanded validation of my Office installation, when the site itself declared that an Office version prior to XP could not be validated.

I found the updates I'm interested in by drilling down through the categories, so I know I am specifically trying to download from a section that has only Office 2000 updates. I know I didn't accidentally choose an update intended for a different Office version. 

I was able to download quite a few updates and add-ins, and especially security patches, but at some point while I was trying to download an Excel update, I got stuck. I got a page that said this download requires validation, and then began the Catch-22 that's described here. The validation could not be completed since the Office version is prior to XP, but the update I would like to get is specifically for this pre-XP, un-validatable version.

It's not the biggest tragedy, at least in my opinion and in our situation. Office 2K is working fine as it is and we will be updating most of our computers to Office 2007 within the next two months anyway. Only one computer will stay with Office 2K because the Office 2007 licenses we will have (1 Home & Student version + 1 Pro version) won't stretch far enough to cover all our 'puters, LOL.

It just struck me as strange that no one's realized the basic error and fixed it (i.e., updates meant specifically for Office 2000 shouldn't require validation), and somewhat frustrating. I'm sure if I spent a lot of energy on it, I'd be able to find a workaround for specific updates, but I haven't seen any specific update I need that badly.

I agree with what someone said upthread, Microsoft's pretty good about leaving support materials available onsite even after they officially stop supporting products. I can still find updates (not new updates, I mean updates to the original installation files) for Office 97, which I used until a couple of months ago in a foreign language version, and it's been very helpful to me because some of those were critical to make the apps run smoothly in multiple languages. Office 97 is a great product but it was from before MS got the multi-language thing right. Well, they still didn't get it right, at least not for bi-directional languages, but it used to be even worse than it is now. .

Well, onward to the brave new world of validated installations for all!   

New Reply/Continuation

At least some of the loops or logical errors seem to arise from "smeared" version attribution --

a short hand term to mean in one location a file or dld is said to be for, let's say Office XP, and Office 2003, while in another spot, usually significantly earlier or later than the former attribution the same file or dld is said to be for Office 2000, XP, and 2K3 

-- and in some cases it may not have any other found attribution than for Office 2000 or Office2K, yet when you attempt to dld the file or applet, you get an error message, the refrain we've learned by heart,

"To do this, to get the file/download/whatever you want from Microsoft, you have to have a validated copy of OFX XP, 2k3, or 2k7  [ellipsis omitted on webpage, inserted by correspondent - but since you have O2K you can't get validated -- ha ha ha . . .  heh-heh, hew-how -- why don't you waste your time composing text and adding it to the hyperlink we give you [here]   it won't accomplish anything except possibly provide you a way to vent, until the next time you have this webpage/website organization & programming  bite you in the butt again -- and we all know how that scar tissue builds up and is so much more painful when it gets torn again].

Retrospectively keeping up with earlier product assignments and changing versions of files, products, product applets (e.g. individual Office components) is an impossible nightmare, but PROSPECTIVELY planning and tagging the same in advance as new text / webtext is developed and published online.

And while we're solving all the problems of the world, except for broken hearts, peace, or world hunger, how about an OMBUDSMAN, a Microsoft Consumer Representative, a problem solver legitimate or "authenticated users" sub-wabpage and forum, somewhere we can go to register the existence of a conundrum -- with a ubiquitous link or tag, like "contact us" used to be helpful -- something like "pulling your hair out, click here for the MICROSOFT OMBUDSMAN".

Then hire me, or setup a group of volunteers ala Mozilla volunteer corps to monitor and answer the problems which validated users claim to have uncovered -- btw the Opera website has a similar user-moderated activity for reference and comparison.

Lastly, I'm reminded how this is similar to the situation in the Parker Bros. Monopoly[R-TM] - you know there is a "Get Out of Jail Free" card to solve a wide range of unknown, unanticipated snafus you run into -- how about some "GO2JF" tokens while considering and evaluating the "Microsoft Ombudsman's Office" or volunteer group.

Time for dinner.

GG

Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:11 AM
  • It is 2008 and I believe MS policy is to support products for 10 years.  I have office 2000 and I have Office 2003.  I spent a lot of money to me and I just want to ensure MS adheres to its agreement with the purchasers of their software. Please pass this on to those which are responsible for the update website. It's been 2 years and this item still has not been resolved.  Are we getting this fixed or not?
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 3:25 PM