Export plugin steps to XML RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Is there a way to confront 2 plugin registration steps? Recently I used the plugin registration tool, and by mistake I unregistered 70 steps from an unmanaged dev environment. The problem is that I don't have any backup unmanaged solution, but only managed ones. I had to recreate all the steps manually, but something went wrong during the process. Since the project was old, and the steps were not deployed by visual studio and I don't have any XML to compare the steps that I created with the old ones from the managed solution.

Is there a way to extract the steps from a managed solution ( I tried but didn't worked correctly)? Otherwise is there a way to export the files (XML from managed and unmanaged) so I can compare them? The plugin registration tool is doing something like that to register and extract the plugin that are already inside the crm but in the tool there isn't any way to export them.

Monday, July 22, 2013 5:46 AM

All replies

• If  you have backup of database then you can restore backup  in the different environment. Export the solution and get is restored in your environment Or you can do it manually by comapring the steps in plug-in registration tool.

Thanks & Regards, Vipin K

• Edited by Vipin K Monday, July 22, 2013 6:16 AM corrected
    Monday, July 22, 2013 6:11 AM
  • Well I did it manually comparing the steps from the managed solution to the unmanaged one, but still no luck. Having an automatic tool is a lot better. No db backup.
    Monday, July 22, 2013 6:20 AM
  • I believe the old plugin registration tool for CRM 4.0 had the ability to export plugin steps into an XML format and restore them by uploading a single file, but this is not a feature for CRM 2011.

Re-registering the plugin steps on your dev environment isn't going to work in this case. When you try to deploy the solution as managed into your production environment, CRM will complain that the GUIDs no longer match for your plugin steps and the solution import will fail.

If you still have a copy of the managed solution, you could try to convert it into an unmanaged solution using the technique shown in this blog http://www.magnetismsolutions.co.nz/blog/11-08-16/Managed_to_Unmanaged_Solution_Dynamics_CRM_2011_%E2%80%93_Easy.aspx

Please note that this is highly unsupported so try it at your own risk. There is no guarantee that it will work so try it on a test organisation on your dev server.

Remember to take regular backups of your dev orgs and unmanaged solutions.

• Proposed as answer by Roshan Mehta Monday, July 22, 2013 8:34 PM
    Monday, July 22, 2013 8:34 PM
  • I get to the same conclusion as you rosco but I wanted to avoid that. Would be just good to be able to extract the xml and compare it.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:33 AM