locked
Regression error in CRM Server update rollup 8? RRS feed

  • Question

  • I've spent the last two days trying to resolve two different errors that now appear to have the same root cause -- probably a regression error with Update Rollup 8. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem?

    Problem 1: Unable to reassign records. I discovered that I was unable to reassign any records in TS (test), AC (acceptance) or PP (pre-production) environments. I was able to reassign records in DV (development). All organizations are running on separate servers with CRM 4.0 Update Rollup 9 installed. The TS and AC organizations were restored copies of our PP organization, so I thought we had copied a PP database corruption into our other environments.

    Problem 2: 'A SQL error occurred' when trying to synchronise Outlook with CRM. I was using Outlook 2003 SP3 and Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 for Outlook with Update Rollup 9 installed.

    Troubleshooting: I started trying to troubleshoot problem 2 first (a mistake). But I spent a long time running the Diagnostics program and hunting around in client and server trace files, which proved to be a fruitless search. So I turned on dev errors and started looking at problem 1. When I tried reassigning records with dev errors turned on, the following error appeared: "Could not find stored procedure ‘dbo.p_CascadeCollectAssign’". The same error turned up in the server trace log files too (but even with the Microsoft CRM DiagTool and Stunnware TraceReader, it still takes me a while to find root causes in trace logs).

    After lots of head scratching, testing and internet searches it turns out that there appears to be a regression error in CRM 4.0 Update Rollup 8 which is not resolved in Update Rollup 9. Some internal database functions, user tables and stored procedures are missing.

    If your CRM organization database was updated from an earlier version created or imported before Update Rollup 8 was installed, it works fine (just like our DV org). But if your CRM organization database was created or imported after Update Rollup 8, you'll get these two errors. You can resolve the errors by re-applying Update Rollup 8 or 9 every time you create or import a new organization.

    I'm not sure if this regression error is fixed in Update Rollup 10. I'd be interested to know if anyone has created or imported a new organization into UR10 system and whether they experience the same issues.


    Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:31 PM
    Moderator

Answers

All replies

  • Hi Neil,

    Yep - We have seen it quote often.  We wrote a blog on quickly fixing this without a reboot, but via a totaly non-supported way.  http://www.powerobjects.com/blog/2010/05/21/cannot-assign-a-record-in-crm-after-applying-update-rollup-8/

    There were two other issues we also encoutnered with UR 8.  They were related with installing ur 8/9 and updating a crm where invoices had (some type???) of data.  The non-elegant fix we used in this scenario was to delete all invoices, install ur 8/9, then re-sync invoices.  I'm sure there is a more elegant solution.
    http://www.powerobjects.com/blog/2010/02/14/error-installing-ur-8-and-9/

    We ended up skipping UR 8 and 9 in most of our environments.  UR 10 seems fairly good. 


    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Hi Neil,

    I confirm that Powerobjects fix is working. I had this issue and fix was working.


    My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Thanks Alex -- I had actually found your blog article before posting this discussion, but I was not keen on writing SQL scripts to replace missing stored procedures (like you say, this is an unsupported fix). The Microsoft KB article for UR10 doesn't mention a fix for this issue, but I've heard that UR10 does indeed seem to fix this issue.

    Regards, Neil


    Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:31 AM
    Moderator
  • Sadly, the patch does not work for me. More details see comment to the linked post. To keep a short summary: Seems like the function fn_CollectForCascadeAssign that is called by p_CascadeCollectAssign does not have the correct return values.

    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:55 PM
  • Hi Neil,

    Yep.  In one of our systems going from UR 8 to UR 10 did not fix it.  We had to we had to remove UR 8, UR 9, and then apply UR 10 to get it to work properly.


    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:58 PM