Any way for PSP to access and stream mp3 from WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a playstation portable that my son disowned in favor of xbox 360.  Anyone successfully hooked this up to whs?  I would love to walk around the house with this and listen to streaming music from my server.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:46 AM

All replies

• Just tried...I recieved an "unrecognized wireless device" error on the PSP.  From the console, it doesn't seem to be picking it up.  I'll try tweaking it a bit, it *should* work as long as the media is wireless.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:30 AM
  • Theres a program called PiMP Streamer, should be able to install the server application on the WHS, however you need a homebrew capable PSP to run the client. But the result is streaming videos, music and photos.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:51 AM
  • Still no luck in my attempt to connect it to the server.  I'm hoping there is a way to connect without modifying the psp.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:37 PM
  • How are you attempting this?
    The only legit ways I can see to do this would be to use the RSS feature with some sort of webservice, or buy using a LocationFree Base Station.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 12:22 AM
  • Thought there was a way to stream using RSS feature.  There actually was a step by step guide on how to connect using a modified xml file on gamespot.com forum, unfortunately, that was for accessing and streaming through one's webserver and not from server like WHS.  Otherwise, I've found no other way to connect to WHS, and that's really too bad, as PSP would have made a perfect portable streaming device.  Hopefully, someone will come up with a solution/work around.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 7:11 AM
  • Yeah, that's really the only legitimate way of doing it, but you can do it manually by installing a webserver on your WHS using a different port. You could even go so far as writing the xml files by hand, then all you have to do is point your PSP RSS feature to the xml file on the server.

However, I still suggest that PiMP Streamer on a modded PSP is the best option, if you read up about it on one of the many dedicated forums you will find that it is very easy to do and still gives you all legitimate PSP features as usual. As long as you have firmware 3.03 or earlier you will have no trouble at all.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 12:52 AM
  • Thee is actually a program around on the internet some where that is a rss streamer/webserver all bundled into a single exe that can be run as a service. It works by streaming whatever is playing in iTunes/WMP via rss to the psp. I am also pretty sure sony has released an update for the psp to also stream videos over rss. Not entirely sure though as I have not used my psp in ages. I dont have the links right now as im on my laptop. A quick google/live search will probably turn up the program somewhere.

Also it is possible to install a php capable webserver service that run a simple php script that looks at a directory on a computer (eg the music share on WHS) and generates a xml rss file for each file and allows you to download it to your psp to enable straming that song to your psp. I think i saw the script on oriellynet.com

Monday, March 19, 2007 5:26 AM
  • Video RSS feature isn't for streaming, it just gives you a link to download the video, then you can watch it.

However if music is the only thing you need, then yes the multiple different methods for the PSP RSS feature are the way to go.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 10:35 PM