none
Adding a Static IP Address For Remote Connection RRS feed

• Question

• I am wanting my brother to be able to connect to my server over the internet, now at the moment my server is on DHCP and obviously that changes when whatever happens, I am using a netgear DG834GSP v3 wireless  ADSL Router and am wanting to setup a static IP for the server, can someone explain how I can do this. Thank You
    HMG
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:26 AM

All replies

• If your server is configured to update your router's port forwarding when it's DHCP lease renewal results in a new IP address, then you don't need to assign a static IP address. Can you tell us if that's the case?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:39 PM
  • What do you mean by configured to upadte the routers port forwarding, how can I check to see if this is?
    When I also try to setup remote connection I get a few explanation mark on the uPnP settings on router when the routers uPNP is turned on

HMG
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:00 PM
  • What do you mean by configured to upadte the routers port forwarding, how can I check to see if this is?

It should be automatic through uPnP.

When I also try to setup remote connection I get a few explanation mark on the uPnP settings on router when the routers uPNP is turned on

HMG

That probably means your uPnP isn't completely supported.  Which lines have the red Xs?

FYI, setting up a static IP on your server is unsupported and, if you are using a pre-built server (which has no KVM ports), could leave you in a real predicament if you mess it up since you won't be able to log in at all to fix it (frankly, I wouldn't even attempt it unless it's a DIY server so you have another way to logon in case something goes wrong).  Having said that, if you really want to do it anyway, you can find numerous tutorials on the internet for it.  I did a search and here is one sample I got.  (It's for XP, but WHS is written on top of Server 2003, which is pretty much XP server anyways.)
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Fairly sure I have it now, the router is uPNP compatible, its something to do with the router and the server anyway got the port forwarding set, and restarted the router a few times, and now it works I can connect to it from outside the network, so adding the static IP worked great. Thanks everyone
    HMG
    Monday, July 20, 2009 10:20 AM
  • ok switch on my Windows Pc and I got the message at the bottom "Verifying Port Forwarding for your router failed", I thought I had this sorted. is there anything anyone can help on, on this
    HMG
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:30 AM