not enough space conflict RRS feed

• Question

• i have a file conflict warning saying there is not enough space to duplicate on disc to maintain a copy on 1 hard drive. 

this is for a Bl;ue Ray I have ripped to a share on my server running WHS 32 bit.

The server has 4 x 2 TB of hard drive all in use 2.66 TB of video share.

I have 21percent left 1.6 TB.  surely enough space left to share.

Anybody any ideas how to fix this

Keith

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:54 PM

All replies

• Even though you have over a terabyte of space left, you may still not have enough space left to store two copies of the duplicated file on separate drives. This can happen bacause the storage algorithm Windows Home Server V1 uses tends to prefer to put new files on disks that are already closer to full. This algorithm struggles when you use duplication and add disks one at a time (which I presume is what you've been doing), because Windows Home Server doesn't go back later and move files off of full disks to balance free space across all disks. So you can end up with one disk that's mostly empty, and all other disks mostly full.

As for what you can do, there's no supported way to force Windows Home Server to move files around. It will do so if a disk fills up completely, but that's not actually your situation; "completely" means dropping below a threshold, and one BD rip is usually larger than that threshold. Options include using third party tools (there are a couple mentioned in this and other Microsoft WHS forums) and manually removing some files from your server until the ripped file will fit. (After which you may have trouble getting those files back onto your server.)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:39 PM