none
storage of user's data

Question

• hi, this is a 2003 cluster. every time a user login to one node, the profile of user was copy to the current node. The problem is that user's "my documents" has data with 30G, and the node has only 20G free space on "C:\Documents and Settings".  Therefore, not able to login. How to solve?
      Can I use a NAS to storage the user's "my document", thus only one copy of the data. and How to?

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:39 AM

Answers

• Well, it's possible to script folder redirection, but I'm not sure if it's the route you're best going down. Is the Domain which hosts the cluster specific to cluster operation, or have you integrated the cluster into your enterprise Domain? If the latter then redirection of folders may not be your best bet if it is not supported at the enterprise level. If you want to use folder redirection then Group Policy is the way forward.
    If you go for the simple network share option then there are several ways to automate mapping of the drive, e.g. net use, powershell, or vbs.
    Dan
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:31 AM

All replies

• Hello
    Yes, redirection of 'My Documents' out of the user profile is possible. 
    An additional benefit is that logon times will be reduced for those users who are able to log on as their data will not need to be copied during the login process.
    It's worth reading the docs about folder redirection before implementing as there are some design choices which should be given consideration.
    Of course an alternative would be to provide a simple network share for storage of user data which can be accessed via UNC / mapped drive.
    Cheers
    Dan
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:53 AM
  • Is there any cmd line to do the job?
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:33 AM
  • Well, it's possible to script folder redirection, but I'm not sure if it's the route you're best going down. Is the Domain which hosts the cluster specific to cluster operation, or have you integrated the cluster into your enterprise Domain? If the latter then redirection of folders may not be your best bet if it is not supported at the enterprise level. If you want to use folder redirection then Group Policy is the way forward.
    If you go for the simple network share option then there are several ways to automate mapping of the drive, e.g. net use, powershell, or vbs.
    Dan
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:31 AM