Where to find the product key for WHS 120day trial RRS feed

• Question

• I've just downloaded and begun the installation of the trail version of Windows Home server. I'm now stuck at the point where it requires a product key.

Several threads point people to the Microsoft Connect page however I don't see where to go from there. There are three options at the bottom of the page: Try, Join and Contribute. I signed-in using the link at the top of the Connect page but that lead me no further to receiving a product key.

Please could someone explain to me exactly how to get the product key? It is a shame that it is not obvious where to get the key from after making it so convenient to dwnld the evaluation copy.

Much appreciate any help....thanks.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:05 AM

Answers

• Per the page from which you downloaded the trial:

"5. You may now use the Evaluation Edition for 30 days. To use the Evaluation Edition for the full 120-day period, you need to register at the Windows Home Server Connect site and acquire a product key for the Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition software. "

So if you have not done so, you must first Join Connect, then register with the Windows Home Server program on Connect.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 12:39 PM

All replies

• Per the page from which you downloaded the trial:

"5. You may now use the Evaluation Edition for 30 days. To use the Evaluation Edition for the full 120-day period, you need to register at the Windows Home Server Connect site and acquire a product key for the Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition software. "

So if you have not done so, you must first Join Connect, then register with the Windows Home Server program on Connect.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 12:39 PM
  • Thanks Ken however I had already read all the points on the download page and found it lacking in detail. Users don't want to go searching all over the place for the product key. It should be obvious. The 'Windows Home Server Connect site' link on the download page should bring the user to a page with something saying:
    Step 1 - download WHS if not already done
    Step 2 - register with Microsoft Connect here
    Step 3 - Get your product key here and begin the Windows Hom Server Connect programme.

Instead I clicked on everything from left to right and registered and joined whatever. Then went into the 'Contribute' part and filled everything in (still no hint that it was the way to getting a product key) and eventually got to a page where I could see 'Product Keys' on the left-hand side.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:16 PM
  • You can't get a product key for the evaluation version at the Microsoft Connect site any more - only for the Vail beta release.  Why not? I cannot evauate this product in 30 days, I need 120 days.

Marc Erickson

MCP

Microsoft Partner

Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:13 AM
  • The public evaluation program is intended to allow end users to get a quick taste of what Windows home Server can do, without giving them time to commit a great deal of data to a product that they will be required to reinstall (there is a time bomb built into the evaluation software which can't be disabled, necessitating a reinstallation to get a non-eval version of the product). As a result, the ability to obtain a product key was discontinued.

As a partner, presumably you have access to Technet and/or MSDN? If so, use the Windows Home Server download available through those programs. Or (again, as a partner) use your contacts with Microsoft to see if you can obtain a product key. 

Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:19 AM
  • I don't have access to any of those  and my contacts at Microsoft won't even give me the correct email address for the VP of Partner Relations after she displayed the wrong one on her slide deck at a dog and pony show they had here.  MS listens to feedback - HAH!

http://www.examiner.com/x-34009-Vancouver-Computers-Examiner~y2010m2d19-Microsoft-shafts-its-Partners

I'll have to troll the dark side I guess.  It's so stupid - providing a 120 day version of the product that's based on Server 2003 without distribution of a Product Key to allow a proper evaluation.  I can take care of my data without their so-called help, thank you very much.

What a bunch of pinheads.  So often, Microsoft just doesn't get it when it comes to small businesses like mine and my customers.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:33 PM