Project Server 2010 - How To create an enterprise client copy without resources or rates. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello again everyone.  I've got another question I'd love to get some feed back on.

I've got a client, who want's to provide their clients, (via a weekly email) an exact copy of certain schedules residing in PWA.  The trick is the copy must reside in PWA but not contain certain details like actual resources and their rates.  They want the rolled up items from the summary lines, but not the details.  And of course they would like it to auto update itself just like a master schedule would.  So visually it would contain (for example) just the summary line items and their costs from the source schedule, but not the detailed tasks with the associated resources and costs.

In the past I would usually create a master schedule that had millstones linked to various other project summary lines or tasks.  Or I would save the files locally and manually remove the resources and replace them with a summary cost resource.  But now they want something more.  I've heard some talk about trying to use "paste special" and other various "copy" methods.  But, as we're all aware, copy and pasting in enterprise projects is not a behavior we encourage.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how you might approach this request?  As always, thanks for the help.

Chris Addis - MCTS

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:52 AM

Answers

• Simple solution is a pdf copy printed from Project Pro.

If the result has to be a .mpp file then only solution is a VBA macro to delete detail tasks whilt preserving Summary task values (Outdent first then delete sub-tasks).

There is no way to send a .mpp file with password protected data.

You could provide remote access to the client and provide only very limited Views in PWA?

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:18 AM
  • If it's via a weekly email, then as Rod says, PDF is the way to go, showing Summary Tasks only.

If you have a structured WBS, then use the "Show Outline" feature within PWA Views to show down to a specific Outline number.

I've quite often saved (exported) plans to Excel, and then re-imported them to mpp without the resource data - using pre-defined maps this is easy, but I suspect you'd miss out on the cost data, however, I'm sure if could be copied into another Cost field using a formula beforehand.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:36 AM

All replies

• Simple solution is a pdf copy printed from Project Pro.

If the result has to be a .mpp file then only solution is a VBA macro to delete detail tasks whilt preserving Summary task values (Outdent first then delete sub-tasks).

There is no way to send a .mpp file with password protected data.

You could provide remote access to the client and provide only very limited Views in PWA?

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:18 AM
  • If it's via a weekly email, then as Rod says, PDF is the way to go, showing Summary Tasks only.

If you have a structured WBS, then use the "Show Outline" feature within PWA Views to show down to a specific Outline number.

I've quite often saved (exported) plans to Excel, and then re-imported them to mpp without the resource data - using pre-defined maps this is easy, but I suspect you'd miss out on the cost data, however, I'm sure if could be copied into another Cost field using a formula beforehand.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:36 AM