CRM 2011 - Mail merge programmatically (Plugin) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My requirement in CRM 2011 is simple, I need to do mail merge through code (plugin) since the dataset could be complex, it should support 1:N, N:1, N:N relationships.

So I can NOT use the built-in Mail merge with limited relationships.

Admin user should be able to modify the templates who cannot connect with the database Servers directly (i.e. thru Word or Excel)

I am not clear how to proceed, Can anyone suggest best approach?

-       How to design the templates using complex dataset.

-       Where to keep the templates? Along with the CRM server or Do we need to copy into the Client machines?

-       Is there any Connection method for CRM 2011 available? Similar like ODBC, OLEDB...etc. XM, Something like CRM XML connection so that admin users can modify the templates

-       Regular mail merge features like email, print, attach with activities.

Regards

MSK.

• Edited by mgsk Thursday, December 5, 2013 8:15 PM
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:19 PM

All replies

• I'm sorry but I'm not a CRM developer so I'm unable to your questions other than the one about document generation. I suggest you to take a look at Docentric Toolkit. It is a 3rd part library/toolkit for .NET that allows you template based Doc Gen. It has a special Add-In for MS word so your end users will also be able to modify templates easily and you can populate them with arbitrary object trees/graphs or XML. Watch the introductory video on the product's web site and will get the idea of how it works.
    Monday, December 9, 2013 9:37 AM
  • Hi,

If you are interested in a 3rd party solution, you could take a look into our AutoMerge product. It gives you a possibility to generate complex documents in workflows and dialogs. All the documents generated with AutoMerge are based on templates. This templates can be generated with our template designer.

Also you can generate actvities and attach the generated documents to that and many more...

Details can be found on our website. You can download a trail version on www.mscrm-addons.com.

Christian Ternek, www.mscrm-addons.com
    follow us twitter.com/mscrmaddons

Monday, December 9, 2013 8:46 PM
  • If you are looking for an ODBC driver for Dynamics CRM (or online), take a look at - http://www.rssbus.com/odbc/mscrm/.  It's a commercial product, however it is very inexpensive for desktop use.  Drivers for Dynamics CRM are also available as ADO.NET Data Providers, JDBC Drivers, Excel Add-Ins, etc. 

-Eric

Friday, January 3, 2014 4:00 PM
  • Did you Find a solution for this?

I have been working in the very same stuff and I'm stuck trying to  find a way of mapping the MERGEFIELDS in the Word XML with the attributes in the CRM Entity.

MERGEFIELDS in the Word xml seems to use a modified version of the Entity attribute Display Name, but for 1:N entity fields there is no way of knowing what field actually needs to be mapped.

Any help you can provide with your experience on this?

Friday, May 23, 2014 8:05 PM