Is S2B a Replacement of MSAPP? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I recently visited a website of the program by Microsoft called Student2Business. I found it surprising that Microsoft just made some additions to plain old MSAPP (Microsoft Academic Projects Program) and renamed it to S2B. Is it supposed to be a replacement of MSAPP? S2B website seems to be still in development but you can surely register on it.

It was unfair that winners of last year's MSAPP only got Certificate of Merit and nothing else for a little appriciation. I hope they make S2B better than last year's MSAPP.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 2:04 PM

Answers

• 5 points to all those who guessed correctly that S2B (http://www.student2business.co.in) is the new avataar of Microsoft Academic Projects Program. As most of you have already noticed that the website is still under construction. We are hoping to go live with the Phase 1 of the site on 17th of September 2007.

So how is S2B different from MSAPP... Well for starters it is not just about doing projects with Microsoft but about helping students be more sucessful and have a great head start in their careers. The S2B program will provide the following -

1. Technical training - Agenda about student trainings being done in partnership with State governments, online webcasts, academic developer conference, other Microsoft events and links to resources that we think are the most important to students.

2. Soft Skills trainings - We aspire to provide some good content to help students improve their communication, leadership and management skills. These as all of you know are things skills without which you can not reach the top.

3. Academic Projects - This is the equivalent of the MSAPP program. However this time we want you to submit the projects that you are working on to us instead of working on project topics given by us. The objective is to identify the great work that happens in our academic institutions from all of you and provide you with a platform to showcase this to the world. The best projects will be invited to showcase their projects at state and national level expos. Various deadlines for the academic projects are available on the website.

4. Industry Projects - Look out at this space for internships and projects with Microsoft and our partners. Since this is the first time that we are doing this, we might not have a lot of opportunities to start with but we think that the number of projects that we are able to provide to you from here will grow exponentially once our partners see the talent pool that they can reach through S2B.

Phase 1 will only contain - Soft skills training and Academic Projects. The remaing features will be operational only after Phase 2 of the site is completed by mid October.

So hold on for a few more days and spread the message around...

Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:50 PM
  • let us answer a couple of questions here -

First about the technologies that are used in your project - Your projects can use any technology as long as it meets the criteria of having atleast one Microsoft technology. This means that you can submit plain old ASP applications written in VB or .NET 3.0 on Vista and Java/PHP on Windows.

The objective of the program is to collect the good work that students are doing in colleges and provide them with an opportunity to showcase it to the world. We are looking for innovative and smart project ideas.

Second, if you do a hobbyist project and complete all the stages, then you will get the same certificate as someone doing an academic project. The only deifference between the two is the requirement of a mentor in the academic projects. We do understand the importance of certificates but do remember that you will get a certificate only if you complete all the stages. We will not be giving any certificates of participation for incomplete projects.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 8:49 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Rakshat,

Yeah, i saw the website too. Although things are not too clear, i think we can have more expectations from the s2b program and i dont think we will be dissapointed.

I just wish they would provide some more details, like technology platforms, project scenarios with an example and a detailed flow of the program.

Lets wait and see, its too early for conclusions!

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 2:51 PM
  • things are not yet clear about what to do and what it is exactly for.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 6:09 PM
  • They have already provided Project Scenario. Get the details Here. Link on S2B Website is not well formed.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 3:14 AM
  • Thanks for the Projects link Rakshit...

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 7:35 PM
  •  

may be
    Thursday, September 6, 2007 11:49 AM
  • The S2B site is still under construction it seems.. And i think its similar to APP
    Monday, September 10, 2007 3:17 AM

• i think ..it is similar to MSAPP. but may be little improve.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 12:16 PM
  • 5 points to all those who guessed correctly that S2B (http://www.student2business.co.in) is the new avataar of Microsoft Academic Projects Program. As most of you have already noticed that the website is still under construction. We are hoping to go live with the Phase 1 of the site on 17th of September 2007.

So how is S2B different from MSAPP... Well for starters it is not just about doing projects with Microsoft but about helping students be more sucessful and have a great head start in their careers. The S2B program will provide the following -

1. Technical training - Agenda about student trainings being done in partnership with State governments, online webcasts, academic developer conference, other Microsoft events and links to resources that we think are the most important to students.

2. Soft Skills trainings - We aspire to provide some good content to help students improve their communication, leadership and management skills. These as all of you know are things skills without which you can not reach the top.

3. Academic Projects - This is the equivalent of the MSAPP program. However this time we want you to submit the projects that you are working on to us instead of working on project topics given by us. The objective is to identify the great work that happens in our academic institutions from all of you and provide you with a platform to showcase this to the world. The best projects will be invited to showcase their projects at state and national level expos. Various deadlines for the academic projects are available on the website.

4. Industry Projects - Look out at this space for internships and projects with Microsoft and our partners. Since this is the first time that we are doing this, we might not have a lot of opportunities to start with but we think that the number of projects that we are able to provide to you from here will grow exponentially once our partners see the talent pool that they can reach through S2B.

Phase 1 will only contain - Soft skills training and Academic Projects. The remaing features will be operational only after Phase 2 of the site is completed by mid October.

So hold on for a few more days and spread the message around...

Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:50 PM
  • 1st of all, its nice to see moderators in Samvaad this time....
    Now I have a query, I will be working on a project this semester which is their  in my sylabus, i.e. I will be making a project on VB 6 and plain ASP,

Can i Submit this project at S2B ???
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 4:10 AM
  •  

hey thanks it w3as usefull !!!
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 9:37 AM
  •  

I also have question. If we are selecting a Hobbyist project i.e without doing the project with any organisation, do we get certificate for successfully completing and submitting the project. Certificates are more important to us students, so i think we have to keep them in mind....
    Monday, September 17, 2007 4:15 PM
  •  

hey the s2b site seems to be under construction ........ but they so update it as soon as possible
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:50 AM
  • let us answer a couple of questions here -

First about the technologies that are used in your project - Your projects can use any technology as long as it meets the criteria of having atleast one Microsoft technology. This means that you can submit plain old ASP applications written in VB or .NET 3.0 on Vista and Java/PHP on Windows.

The objective of the program is to collect the good work that students are doing in colleges and provide them with an opportunity to showcase it to the world. We are looking for innovative and smart project ideas.

Second, if you do a hobbyist project and complete all the stages, then you will get the same certificate as someone doing an academic project. The only deifference between the two is the requirement of a mentor in the academic projects. We do understand the importance of certificates but do remember that you will get a certificate only if you complete all the stages. We will not be giving any certificates of participation for incomplete projects.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 8:49 AM
  •  

when we'll be able to login 2 S2B website........... n FAQ section 'll be updated
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 10:41 AM
  • Thank you for the information...
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:31 PM
  •  

yeah i m also  not able to understand S2B clearly...........
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 8:26 AM
  • yes...

S2B is the replacement of MSAPP

Friday, October 5, 2007 9:46 AM
  • yes msapp is replaced has s2b n s2b is under constrution...
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 8:17 AM
  • What eve things goes to. S2B site is designing to outstand potential students

Sunday, October 7, 2007 8:20 PM
  • Hi freinds,

I have seen the website and i think s2b is something morethan MSAPP.It gives wider and broad platform to student and provides good industry interaction.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 7:40 PM
  • Waiting eagerly.. Hav any one started working on projects
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:45 AM
  •  

first of all let the login for s2b takes place and we came to know more about it and than we can say and even then wecannt compare b/w the 2 as far as comparison is these 2 are different technologies
    Friday, October 19, 2007 10:51 AM
  • yes they did, but overall its benificial to us. isn't it?
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:30 AM

• ya this time microsoft bring amazine site compare 2 last year n this u get more knowledge 4m s2b...
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:04 PM
  • Yes its a replacement, because the projects are same as last year, i got the mail of MSAPP 3 months back, but the same projects are in s2b , so sure a its a same thing...
    Saturday, November 24, 2007 10:14 AM
  • ya we hope for betterment this time
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 3:00 PM