WHS Antivirus warning - Vista Ultimate 64 with McAfee RRS feed

• Question

• This has become increasingly annoying, and now is troubling...

I have McAfee on my 64 bit Vista Ultimate system, and I started receiving Health Warnings that my Antivirus software was out-of-date on boot-up.  The message would go away after a minute or two.  I do keep my software current (and run full scans twice a week).  This morning, the message didn't go away.  I opened McAfee and looked for updates - there were none.  I just finished a full system scan with nothing found.  The Red alert that my antivirus software is out-of-date remained.  I did a full re-installation of MacAfee, and another full system scan.  The Red alert remains.

I searched the Forum looking for other related postings, and found some but none that match this issue.  Anyone have an idea of what to try next?  Thanks!
    Friday, April 10, 2009 6:37 PM

Answers

• Is the version you are running compatable with Windows Home Server? My guess is no. I have Comcast and the AV from McAfee is NOT WHS compatable. I also believe that Norton does not offer a WHS compatable AV. I do not think either McAfee or Norton, in my opinion, should not be in the same room as a computer and should be never be installed on a computer.

I would recommend Avast! which has a WHS version and is very good.
    Bud - Alameda, CA
    • Marked as answer by PDX_Bud Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:13 PM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:17 AM

All replies

• What version of McAfee? Is it WHS compatable? I am not aware of a WHS compatable product from McAfee.
    Bud - Alameda, CA
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Good Question - I cannot find a version number...  It is the one that Comcast supplies for all subscribers at no additional cost (I'd say "free" but nothing is free <grin>).  I'm running McAfee on 6 other PCs connected to my server (3 WinXP, and one each Vista Home Premium, Vista Ultimate 32 bit) and the message doesn't appear on any of those - It is only on my Ultimate 64 bit.

When I first installed Ultimate 64, McAfee wouldn't install.  I bought a Norton License, and ran with it until about 4 months ago when I did a complete system reinstall.  I wasn't thinking clearly, and just loaded the McAfee from Comcast as part of the system build.  It worked.  A couple of day later I realized that I was using McAfee, and since the Norton license was a fee and McAfee was "free", I left it.

The current annoyance is that I get the red notice, and then it goes away.  Today it began staying, and the Windows Security Center said I didn't have antivirus.  McAfee runs fine, and tells me there are no new updates.  I think I'll uninstall McAfee, and install Notron again to see if it clears up.  I bought a 3-pack of licenses and still have two left.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:56 PM
  • Is the version you are running compatable with Windows Home Server? My guess is no. I have Comcast and the AV from McAfee is NOT WHS compatable. I also believe that Norton does not offer a WHS compatable AV. I do not think either McAfee or Norton, in my opinion, should not be in the same room as a computer and should be never be installed on a computer.

Bud - Alameda, CA
    • Marked as answer by PDX_Bud Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:13 PM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Thanks Bud,

I played with this more last night...  I considered the option of just ignoring the red alert - bad choice - it's not unlike disconnecting a temperature warning light in a car - the light goes away, but something really bad could happen.

I am downloading Avast now and will give it a try.  Thanks.

P.S. I agree with your assessment of Norton.  One of the worse parts is getting all of their junk out of the registry when you uninstall.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:11 PM

Bud - Alameda, CA

budgall, could you tell more about "AV from McAfee is not WHS compatible"? Is it documented somewhere? I am just curious. Thanks.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 6:01 PM
  • That fixed it!  I'm using Avast on my Vista Ultimate 64 bit and the "error" has disappeared.  Thanks!
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:14 PM

Bud - Alameda, CA

budgall, could you tell more about "AV from McAfee is not WHS compatible"? Is it documented somewhere? I am just curious. Thanks.

An AV program and defrag program needs to be compatable with the WHS Drive Extender. If they are not compatable, you put your server at risk. Scan the various WHS websites and you will find lot's of talk about compatable AV programs and defrag programs.
    Bud - Alameda, CA
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Here is a nice solution

an antivirus comparison site:

rebrand.ly/top-antivirus

Monday, June 19, 2017 8:42 AM