Some files are not copied; no errors are shown RRS feed

• Question

• I am using synctoy 2 to copy files from a on a Windoes Vista system (left folder) to a network storage drive (right folder).  The sync completed and showed no failures but only 1/10th of my files were copied.  See the info below from the log report.  Synctoy determined that 9,838 files did not require any action and did not copy those files but after synctoy finished, those 9,838 files were not found in the right folder??

- - - - info from SyncToy Log - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    SyncToy action was 'Contribute'.
    SyncToy options were:
     Active for run all
     All files included
     No files excluded
     Check file contents
     Include read-only files
     Include hidden files
     Include system files
     Backup older files (send to Recycle Bin)
     All subfolders included
    SyncToy run took 00:07:06:644.
    Copied 2,772,118,704 bytes in 1,009 files in 00:07:06:644.
    Bytes per second 6,497,492.3, files per second 2.4.
    Avoided copying 107,498,656,389 bytes in 9,838 files that did not require action.
    Saved approximately 04:35:44:638 by not copying all files.
    Friday, February 13, 2009 1:55 PM

Answers

•  Hi -

Contribute is a one-way sync and we will not sync deletes over to the right hand side. Did you mean that there were some new files on the left side that were not copied over to the right ( they do not exist on the right at all)? Are you sure that the files were under the left side of your folder pair ? And were these not "regular" files for any reason. Also, any chance that you were trying to sync the Vista system folder?

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:13 AM

All replies

• Did this action required a lot of files to be deleted?
    Monday, February 16, 2009 9:19 AM
  •  Hi -

Contribute is a one-way sync and we will not sync deletes over to the right hand side. Did you mean that there were some new files on the left side that were not copied over to the right ( they do not exist on the right at all)? Are you sure that the files were under the left side of your folder pair ? And were these not "regular" files for any reason. Also, any chance that you were trying to sync the Vista system folder?

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:13 AM
  •  I was not syncing a system folder and I was logged in with administrative rights.   For some reason, after my sync completed some of the files on the left were not in the Right folder.  I did not see any error messages.     No files were deleted in this process.  I believe that the Right folder was empty when I started because I was trying to backup all of the files in the left folder.
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 1:15 PM