VLK Blocked... but it's OURS! RRS feed

• Question

• I've read the boiler plate responses to the VLK2 being blocked... the problem here is the VLK is *OURS* and there is no reason for it to have been revoked that I am aware of.  Any attempts to reach Microsoft by phone have been met with "Oh, you have the wrong department" and I was transfered and transfered... and then transfered again.

How do I resolve this issue with our legal, owned and paid for license?

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2MDY9-F6J9M-K42BQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: jY+nlE0RT38EEXpeUqSdQPABSQc=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00101
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {5A92AAB8-9F2D-41F4-8182-5276C5C6B79D}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 2.0.48.0
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{5A92AAB8-9F2D-41F4-8182-5276C5C6B79D}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-K42BQ</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00101</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2562005785-1338433949-31058355</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>HP Compaq dc5850 Small Form Factor</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>786F6 v01.09</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20080409000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>317D33A701844078</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>1</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Hewlett-Packard Company</name><model>HP Compaq dc5850 Small Form Factor</model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57478</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 6C19:Compaq Computer Corporation|1106C:Compaq Computer Corporation|1FFEA:Compaq Computer Corporation|D478:Compaq Computer Corporation|11093:Compaq Computer Corporation|11093:Compaq Computer Corporation|1FFEA:Hewlett-Packard Company|D478:Hewlett-Packard Company
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Friday, October 2, 2009 7:12 PM

Answers

• Funny thing...:-0...when you see the nongenuine status codes in the mgadiag reports that are posted, the ones with "VLK2" are product keys that were stolen from "a very large software company headquarted in the Pacific Northwest region of the USA."

Dan is correct, an error " 114 Blocked VLK 2" is specific to one particular key belonging to us.  It was leaked a long time ago and is one of the most populare Non-genuine keys out there.

Unlike for Windows, the Diagnostic Report doesn't show a partal of the Product Key being used in Office, but there is software out there that will enable you to see what the key is (due to Policy I an unable to direct you to such software, but Dan should be able to link it for you).  Once you have the key that's being used, contact your Vendor and have them provide you the key they "sold" to you. 

If they match, then they sold you a Non-Genuine VLK key. I would demand a full refund, but you will probably want to do whatever a company does when it's vendor takes money but doesn't deliver what was paided for.

If they don't match, uninstall the Non-Genuine Office, reboot, then install Office using the key the Vendor provided, then go to http://microsoft.com/genuine and click the Validate Office button and confirm that this key it is, in fact, Genuine.  

(note: in this case even if the Validation site says the key is Genuine, the Office Notifier (installed on the computer) may still have the Non-Genuine flag cached which would cause a Non-Genuine notice to come up when you opened one of the Office Programs.  If this happens, just click the Learn More Online link and that will force the Office Notifier to recheck the Genuine Flag of the newly installed Office)

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:36 PM

All replies

• Hello Hal-McRoberts,

Did you try the USA VL activation center, (888) 352 7140?

Or call MS Volume Licensing directly at (800) 426-9400?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:24 PM
  • yes, The VL Activation center transfered me to 800-936-5700.... who then transfered me to Volume Licensing.... who hung up on me.

Friday, October 2, 2009 7:25 PM
  • What did they tell you before they hung up on you?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:27 PM
  • The machine told me to call my vendor.. "we are now disconnecting you"
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Do you have a piece of paper from MS that has your VL agreement on it, and the VL product key?
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:30 PM
  • No, I am the new administrator. I only have the VL Key.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:33 PM
  • May I ask what documentation you have to support your understanding that your company has a valid VL agreement?  Not asking to see it, just asking for a description.

Does your company have an account at the eOpen web site?  https://licensing.microsoft.com/eLicense/L1033/Default.asp
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:37 PM
  • I have the president of the company and the Accounts payable department telling me the bill was paid....  Since I am new, I do not have the VL documentation...  At this point I have no reason to doubt the assertion of the company that the VL is valid.  I have requested AP to find the paperwork.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Speaking of vendors, as you understand the situation being the "new guy" :-) did your company buy the VL agreement directly from MS or did they buy thru a MS partner/vendor?

If thru a vendor, have you contacted them to get whatever details are available?
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:42 PM
  • :) Good question!  I'll know that when the AP department gets me the proof of purchase. I was hoping that using the Key- MSFT could go back and see who purchased it and then go "Oh, yea, that key is owned by XXX company... and that's you!" So here's the new key....
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:45 PM
  • It's certainly possible that a bill was paid.

If paid to a vendor, the issue might develop into a situation of "Did we get what we paid for?"  Microsoft partners/resellers are certainly allowed to sell you volume licenses, but they must follow the rules set down by MS.  One of the rules is that they must register each entity to which they resell VL agreements with Microsoft, and that registration process is what gets your organization their unique VL product key(s) for the product(s) they buy.

Not making any accusations, but this would not be the first time that a "vendor" collected money for reselling volume licenses that never existed.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:47 PM
  • Funny thing...:-0...when you see the nongenuine status codes in the mgadiag reports that are posted, the ones with "VLK2" are product keys that were stolen from "a very large software company headquarted in the Pacific Northwest region of the USA."

Hmmm, I wonder who that could be?

Friday, October 2, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Well, if I find a paid for bill- and the key isn't legal... you better belive I'm going after a legitimate key....
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, October 2, 2009 8:39 PM
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:53 PM
  • Hello Hal-McRoberts,

Please keep us posted!  I love a good mystery/conspiracy/whodunit :-)

Friday, October 2, 2009 7:56 PM
  • I have in my hands the original Office Proessional EE 2003 Disk complete with the Product Key sticker.....  We are getting closer...
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:19 PM

Dan is correct, an error " 114 Blocked VLK 2" is specific to one particular key belonging to us.  It was leaked a long time ago and is one of the most populare Non-genuine keys out there.

Unlike for Windows, the Diagnostic Report doesn't show a partal of the Product Key being used in Office, but there is software out there that will enable you to see what the key is (due to Policy I an unable to direct you to such software, but Dan should be able to link it for you).  Once you have the key that's being used, contact your Vendor and have them provide you the key they "sold" to you. 

If they match, then they sold you a Non-Genuine VLK key. I would demand a full refund, but you will probably want to do whatever a company does when it's vendor takes money but doesn't deliver what was paided for.

If they don't match, uninstall the Non-Genuine Office, reboot, then install Office using the key the Vendor provided, then go to http://microsoft.com/genuine and click the Validate Office button and confirm that this key it is, in fact, Genuine.  

(note: in this case even if the Validation site says the key is Genuine, the Office Notifier (installed on the computer) may still have the Non-Genuine flag cached which would cause a Non-Genuine notice to come up when you opened one of the Office Programs.  If this happens, just click the Learn More Online link and that will force the Office Notifier to recheck the Genuine Flag of the newly installed Office)

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Hi Darin, 

I do have the product key in question- I have my AP staff searching for the original paperwork.... if I send you the VLK I have can you confirm that this is that particular key in question?  I have the Microsoft Licensing disk in my hand along with the Product Key sticker.... (still no Agreement number- working on that part)
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:51 PM
  • You can use Belarc Advisor - Free to view your Office product key in use.
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:52 PM
  • I have the key in use- I have a matching sticker with the product key... now I want to know if we were sold this "popular" stolen key... and I have to go hunt down a vendor....

Friday, October 2, 2009 9:04 PM
  • Hi Hal-McRoberts,

No need to post that Product Key.  We know, from the Diagnostic Report, that the key currently being used in that Office is the '114 Blocked VLK' key. 

Note: due to computer repair guys, employees and so on, Product Key have a way of "Changing" so even if you have a slip of paper with a Product Key and you had used that product Key to install that copy of Office, you may still want to use that program that tell you what key is currently being used just to confirm that the key you used to install that Office and the key currently being used, are, in fact, the same.

Once you find the documentation from the Vendor, compare the Key currently being used by that Office (Known to be the 114 key) to the key your Vendor gave you (and as I mentioned above):

Thank you,
    Darin
    Monday, October 5, 2009 7:31 PM