Adding A SATA Controller to WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

I need some advise. the socket A mobo that I am using for my WHS does not have SATA, I am currently using IDE drives which I am going to replace with SATA drives.  But I have to add a SATA controller, I know there are issues with RAID controllers, but is there anything to know or look out for before I install a SATA controller with two SATA hard drives. Thanks in advance.
    Monday, January 14, 2008 4:20 AM

Answers

• Look for a SATA controller that doesn't do RAID (or one that has a flashable firmware that you can downgrade to non-RAID firmware).

This isn't because there are "issues" with RAID arrays, it's because most RAID controllers will force you to mark a disk (either in the configuration screen pre-boot or using some array management software) as pass-through or JBOD before letting the OS (and therefore WHS) see it.

It's not a huge deal, but it's an extra step you have to go through before WHS can use the disk. It's especially painful if your controller doesn't have any array management software; you'd need to attach a mointor and keyboard to the server and reboot it. So much for a headless appliance.

But, if you're not planning to change/add disks very often, that may not be an issue.

I'd also recommend getting a controller with 4 ports. Trust me that you'll want to add disks later on, or do eSATA out a backplane expansion.

Monday, January 14, 2008 7:42 AM
  • This is the controller i was looking into before i decided to built a server from scratch. 

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16816102065

Mind you it is PCI, but my guess is that since you don't have any SATA connectors on your MB that you won't have any PCI-E ; D

Hope that helps

Monday, January 14, 2008 1:33 PM
  • That is a Promise card and I have had more success with WHS recognizing a Promise card than a Silicon Image card - when I did a server reinstall I could never get it to load drivers for the Silicon Image card even though I had no problem installing the same drivers once the OS was up and running.  I got the Promise drivers to install right away!

The downside is that the Promise cards are more expensive.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:48 PM
  • ok gang I am happy to report that I used a promise sata 300 controller and all is working fine, I had to reinstall to change the drives, and I needed the driver disk which I had to download from the Promise web site the cd create disk would not work.  it sees both drives and my only issue is that it reports the drives as SCSI not SATA don't know why but all is working fine.

Friday, January 18, 2008 12:40 AM

All replies

• Look for a SATA controller that doesn't do RAID (or one that has a flashable firmware that you can downgrade to non-RAID firmware).

This isn't because there are "issues" with RAID arrays, it's because most RAID controllers will force you to mark a disk (either in the configuration screen pre-boot or using some array management software) as pass-through or JBOD before letting the OS (and therefore WHS) see it.

It's not a huge deal, but it's an extra step you have to go through before WHS can use the disk. It's especially painful if your controller doesn't have any array management software; you'd need to attach a mointor and keyboard to the server and reboot it. So much for a headless appliance.

But, if you're not planning to change/add disks very often, that may not be an issue.

I'd also recommend getting a controller with 4 ports. Trust me that you'll want to add disks later on, or do eSATA out a backplane expansion.

Monday, January 14, 2008 7:42 AM
  • This is the controller i was looking into before i decided to built a server from scratch. 

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16816102065

Mind you it is PCI, but my guess is that since you don't have any SATA connectors on your MB that you won't have any PCI-E ; D

Hope that helps

Monday, January 14, 2008 1:33 PM
  • That is a Promise card and I have had more success with WHS recognizing a Promise card than a Silicon Image card - when I did a server reinstall I could never get it to load drivers for the Silicon Image card even though I had no problem installing the same drivers once the OS was up and running.  I got the Promise drivers to install right away!

The downside is that the Promise cards are more expensive.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:48 PM
  • ok gang I am happy to report that I used a promise sata 300 controller and all is working fine, I had to reinstall to change the drives, and I needed the driver disk which I had to download from the Promise web site the cd create disk would not work.  it sees both drives and my only issue is that it reports the drives as SCSI not SATA don't know why but all is working fine.

Friday, January 18, 2008 12:40 AM
  •  

To add my two cents...

I have this 2 port PCI SATA card in my dell 400sc WHS and it works great!;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124020

It is only a SATA 1 card, but it works great! You do not have to configure the raid, so you end up with individual SATA ports.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 2:50 AM
  • I am using this PCI card  with no problems. I have 3 drives on it right now and it is only $29. You have the option of using two ports externally also. It is only  1.5 G though.

Rosewill Silicon Image RC-209-EX PCI External e-SATA x2/ Internal SATA x4 1.5G HDD Controller Card Supports RAID0/1/5/0+1/ or un-RAID modes - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132013&Tpk=rc-209-ex

Sunday, January 20, 2008 6:05 AM
  • I also have a SATA controlelr based on the 3114 chip, which means that it cannot be detexted during installation, even though installation through the OS works well.

Is there any cards that are automatically detected during installation with drivers already on the install DVD?

I am considering either the Adaptec 1420SA or 1430SA, since I believe Adaptec is usually well supported, but automatic recognition in WHS would be very convenient.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 1:42 PM
  • I currently am running two Sil 3124 Multilane cards PCIX (8 drives total) and the only thing I had to do was flash the BIOS on the cards to the IDE mode BIOS.  I did have to add the driver during setup with a thumb drive but have had no problems since.  You can get these cards at Cooldrives, they are fairly resonable and allow for backplanes and expandability.  I do have a seperate JBOD case that has all 8 drives in it using a removable sled backplane.

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:24 AM