Restore removed computers from archive RRS feed

• Question

• Using Windows Home Server 2011.

Does anybody know if there is a way to restore from archive a computer that was removed?

What I wanted to do, was to turn off backups for three computers and instead of selecting "Customize Backup for the computer" and then selecting "Disable backup for the computer", I selected the "Remove the Computer" option.  I have the archives, but would like to have them restored.

It's probably no big deal as I can still get at the backups in the archive folder, but it would be nice to have the computers back in the Backup Folder with a status of "Not set up".

Any help would be appreciated.

Greg ...

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 2:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, archived computer backups can be used to:
    1. Restore files and folders using the Restore Files and Folders wizard.
    2. Perform a client computer restore using the Full System Restore wizard.

>I selected the "Remove the Computer" option.
    You client computer has been removed from the WHS 2011 Dashboard. In order to get the computer back to Dashboard, please try to reference below steps to re-connect client to WHS 2011.

How do I disconnect or reconnect my computer from and to the server:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/disconnect-reconnect-computer-network-2(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:12 AM
  • Thanks for your response Eve.

I know I can re-add the computer to my server, but what I was hoping to do was to move all my existing daily backups from the archive area back to the normal backup area.  If that's not possible, then I can live without it.  But it would be nice to be able to see the machines that have existing backups without having to remember to look in the archive area.

Also, do you know if backups in the archive area are subject to the same retention policy as the backups that have not been archived?  I have set up a 6-6-12 policy and as long as these archived backups maintain that policy, then everything is ok.

Thanks.

Greg ...

Thursday, June 15, 2017 1:02 PM
  • Hi,

Archived computer backups cannot be moved to general backup/computer list, as client computer has been removed from Dashboard. You can choose to keep it and restore file/folder from the archived computer backups, or, delete the archived computer backups from the backup list.

It is recommended to re-connect client to WHS, and start a new backup.

As far as I know, archived computer backups should be manually removed from the Archived computer backups section on the Dashboard. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 2:03 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, July 3, 2017 2:38 AM