none
Can my Dell computer manage HOME Server reasonable? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm thinking to share my Dell PC resource for the whole family Laptops.
    So, my machine has 2GB Intel Duo core and 500GB and giga bit ethernet.
    can it be enought for the requirement for the HOME Server?
    and can I manage the ASDL modem and DHCP sever mange by that HOME server?
    SO the HOME sever become gateway between LAN and WAN
    And can I set up VPN between home sever and my vista Laptop where I work

Friday, June 20, 2008 8:36 AM

All replies

• James,

The Dell is fine, the only addition could be more hard drives to enable duplication of shared folders. You cannot achieve duplication with one drive.

The home sever should NEVER-EVER be used as the gateway between the WAN and the LAN. This is a system which may well hold very important information (to you), so you really shouldn't have it directly exposed to the Internet.

You could run a DHCP server on the WHS, but it really should be done by your router, as you cannot use the server as a switch as well.

It already has Remote Connection enabled, for remote access, however, there is no reason why you cannot use a VPN connection - again, you would be better though, running that through your router.

There are numerous documents, which are worthwhile reading, prior to setting up your server.

Colin

Friday, June 20, 2008 11:12 AM
  • Hi,

Hi is james again.
    I forgot to mention we are stone artist in Europe, we work in outdoor all the time. At the same, we need to use our computer to show our client for the products progress ( some time they are few tones so we can not bring to them before it finished).

what I mean is I running RAID on my 2X250 GB SATA hard disk.
    In addition is that do I need static IP to establish the remote connection.Because I don't want to  ask my
    Internet provider to setup  static IP for my family It cost me a lot more and you know some time you just want  to update
    one or two word docs or contact list with your notebook.
    And if you don't need static IP  how can you do that?

ALL I want to do is I have three PC laptops and one Mac Power Book and an internet access and ASDL modem with router
    of course the Dell computer that ( want to install the Home Server ).
    All I want to do is those machines had update data files and automatic backup to the server in both remotely and locally.
    Because the two of the PC and the Mac are always on remote site. one Mac and one PC use dial up 3G board band.
    and one remote PC has board band all the time. Specifically the Mac is on the stone factory it has a lot of JEPG need to send back to the server to backup.

I hope you understand my poor English and thanks for all your help so far.

James Chuk

Friday, June 20, 2008 2:12 PM
  • James,

Windows Home Server can do most of what you want.

It can back u p your 3 PC's, but not your Mac. It can however, access the Server Shared Folders, as they are standard SMB shares. It is possible, with the assistance of other software, to back up remotely as well.

WHS comes with two web sites built in, which you can modify for your own use. It can also manage your IP address, you do not need a static IP. When you set up your server, you can register your chosen name with Microsoft's Homeserver.com web site, for example, jameschuck.homeserver.com, once you have done that, your server will keep your IP synchronised automatically with your chosen name.

The server has both Remote Access, to allow you to copy documents, pictures etc backwards and forwards.

This website has a lot of documentation which you can read.

Colin

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Hi Colin,

Great!!!Thanks a lot....

James Chuk
    Monday, June 23, 2008 8:22 AM