90 day trial, gone in 90 seconds RRS feed

• Question

• I finally got this installed, last time it failed, now I only got 90 seconds before the trial expired. Scared to buy, what if the 1 year version only lasts 1 minute? Never used the LiveID as the trial has already expired, so you can't activate it. Never activated first install as it didn't install. Never even got to activate screen. Never got to any screen on first install.

Does anyone know how to install the trial so you get 90 days?

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 4:18 AM

Answers

• Even though your clock is supposed to sync, please check it manually. As I noted, even a reinstall on a system that had OneCare expire in trial mode will get a 15 day period before another trial will expire. I still believe that your clock is off for at least the month/year values.

If it is correct and I'm wrong, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:16 AM
  • The clock is accurate, I checked it at 8 different "clock" sites online and I am within a minute. BTW, the "Internet Time" tab, tells you when it last synched. (in my case, last night).

I believe I had this issue with another MS product, because somewhere I have the long date set to Canadian date rather than US date format. Contacted support but the data collection tool failed 4 times so I bypassed it. Will wait for support.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:29 PM

All replies

• Check your system date and time and restart the PC. Your trial will expire immediately if the date is way off in either direction. Reboot the PC after changing it and OneCare should start normally. If you reinstall OneCare, you'll only get a 15 day trial period.

-steve

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:12 PM
  • My system clock is synched with an internet clock (time.windows.com) once a day, so it shouldn't lag by more than seconds.

I did reinstall it, thinking it must be a bad install but didn't even get 15 days. Rebooted about 6 times.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 6:38 PM
  • Even though your clock is supposed to sync, please check it manually. As I noted, even a reinstall on a system that had OneCare expire in trial mode will get a 15 day period before another trial will expire. I still believe that your clock is off for at least the month/year values.

If it is correct and I'm wrong, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:16 AM
  • The clock is accurate, I checked it at 8 different "clock" sites online and I am within a minute. BTW, the "Internet Time" tab, tells you when it last synched. (in my case, last night).

I believe I had this issue with another MS product, because somewhere I have the long date set to Canadian date rather than US date format. Contacted support but the data collection tool failed 4 times so I bypassed it. Will wait for support.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:29 PM
  • How about going to the Regional Settings in Control Panel and setting them, including the date, for your Region to be consistent? It would be strange that this would cause a problem with the trial expiring immediately, but anything is possible.

-steve

Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:41 PM
  • i.m a subsribed customer, I have two pc's the 90 day introductory period has ended on the newest pc..... i'm @RISK!!!!!!

why isn't my second pc automaticlly included?????????? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday, July 11, 2008 10:54 PM
  •  Tony Skinner wrote:

i.m a subsribed customer, I have two pc's the 90 day introductory period has ended on the newest pc..... i'm @RISK!!!!!!

why isn't my second pc automaticlly included?????????? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you activate on the second PC? You need to activate (subscribe) with the same LiveID used to subscribe on the first one.

If your subscription to OneCare shows incorrect or expired in OneCare

• Check your PC date and time.
    • Check your subscription status by logging in with your subscription LiveID at http://billing.microsoft.com
    • Confirm that this is the same LiveID shown to be the Subscription ID in OneCare - Help/About…
    • Open OneCare and click "Check for Updates" to have OneCare check for updated credentials

If your subscription is correctly shown at the Billing site, but incorrect in OneCare and your PC date and time are correct, please contact support.

-steve

Monday, July 14, 2008 2:21 PM
  • Why is it so hard for you to beleive that the date and time are correct?

I installed the 90 day trial on August 29th and yesterday it says my trial has ended. When I check the monthly report it clearly shows November 29th as the trial end date. I have check my date 100 times and it is now and has always been correct. Correct time zone correct city.

This does not instill a lot of confidence in this product if a prospective buyer cannot even get a full trial out f the product.

Now any suggestion on how I can get the rest of my trial out of this product before I move on to another company?

BTW my date and time are correct and have been correct for the last 3 years I have owned this computer.

I'm running XP Pro if that makes a difference.

Mark
    Friday, October 10, 2008 4:05 PM
  •  mark vodka wrote:
    Why is it so hard for you to beleive that the date and time are correct?

Since this is your first post here, why do you assume that I do not believe that the date and time are correct? My answer lists the possible reasons for the problem, and an incorrect date and time are the most common reasons.

Since your PC date and time are not wrong, according to you, then I can only suggest that you open a support case. Your trial period should last 90 days unless you performed a reinstall, in which case you get 15 days.

-steve

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:04 PM