locked
EmailRouter constantly halting RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,
    I am facing problem with the email router that emerged recently out of the blue. Previously it was working properly for several months since the first deployment.

    The issue is that all emails get stuck in Pending Send state and the event log on the machine gets filled with this error message:

    Description:
    #14494 - A provider work item using assembly: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailProviders.dll and class: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.ExchangePollingMailboxProvider has been aborted because it has been running for longer than the allowed execution time. This behavior may occur when there is a problem with the network or because the e-mail server is busy. Verify that you can log on to the e-mail server by using an e-mail application that uses the account specified for the E-mail Router.

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    When I restart the service it works well for a few minutes (5-10), send all queued messages and then halts in that error state again. At that point the service cannot be restarted and needs to be forcefully stoped (e.g. task manager) and started again.

    I looked it up online and tried all suggested solutions but none help. Solutions tried are:
    1) Restarting the service
    2) Deleting the Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailAgent.SystemState.xml file
    3) Adding the following entry to Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailAgent.exe.config and Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Management.config
    <configuration>
     <system.net>
      <connectionManagement>
       <add address="*" maxconnection = "24" />
      </connectionManagement>
     </system.net>
    </configuration>

    After all this I'm running out of ides. The actual email server is up and running and generally nothing is wrong with it. Any thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone faced this issue before?

    Thanks in advance

    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:04 PM

Answers

  • "the exchange server used for incoming was timing out" 

    I would check the exchange server logs for clues to the time-out.  It could be the login used for incoming is not authenticating, the login used for the E-mail Router service is not authenticating, inability to connect with the hosted exchange server or other possibilities.  The exchange server logs may reveal the issue.
    Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:27 PM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 6:01 PM

All replies

  • Stefan,

    What is the Update Rollup installed for e-mail router?
    Is your Exchange 2003/2007?
    Is Exchange Hosted Exchange or in-house?


    Kaustubh Giri
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Hi,

    Thanks for the reply.

    We did some further investigation and here's the update:
    It's happening on both our production and test environment (both use the same incoming and outgoing servers) so we installed UR 9 on the test environment and the issue persisted.
    Exchange is hosted 2003.
    We managed to drill down to the error though - the exchange server used for incoming was timing out. That is - when we ran the tests on users in the Email Router Config util all incoming connections timed out (440 error). It seems this was causing the email router to halt because when we disabled the incoming profile it started working normally. Still investigating why this happens. One suggestion was that it's trying to use FBA authentication but we confirmed that this is not the case.

    Any suggestions are most welcome.

    Thanks
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:35 AM
  • Hi Stefan,

    you should enable tracing on the eMail router to get additional informations.
    How to do this look here: http://blogs.msdn.com/benlec/archive/2008/07/02/crm-4-0-e-mail-connector-logger-tool.aspx

    Viele Grüße

    Michael Sulz
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:42 PM
  • Hi Stefan,

    you should enable tracing on the eMail router to get additional informations.
    How to do this look here: http://blogs.msdn.com/benlec/archive/2008/07/02/crm-4-0-e-mail-connector-logger-tool.aspx

    Viele Grüße

    Michael Sulz
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM

    The tool is no longer available for download. :-(


    Kaustubh Giri
    Friday, March 5, 2010 12:14 AM
  • "the exchange server used for incoming was timing out" 

    I would check the exchange server logs for clues to the time-out.  It could be the login used for incoming is not authenticating, the login used for the E-mail Router service is not authenticating, inability to connect with the hosted exchange server or other possibilities.  The exchange server logs may reveal the issue.
    Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:27 PM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 6:01 PM