How to utilize same PC in backups when utilizing a new hard drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I am going to be adding an SSD to one of my PC's. I am going to be doing a fresh install and not restoring from the backup from WHS. How do I get WHS to recognize the PC I'm doing a fresh install on as the same computer? Last time I did it, WHS set it up as a new PC. Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 12:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• Marked as answer by MarkBx Wednesday, November 3, 2010 12:49 PM
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 1:54 AM
  • Excellent! Thanks! Perfect! I really hope Vail addresses items like this and streamlines it.
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 12:49 PM
  • I'd say it's unlikely that Vail will change in this area. While it may seem to the end user that it's "the same computer", since it's mostly the same hardware, in the same place, doing the same things, logically it's new: you've replaced the system disk and installed a fresh operating system. Fresh OS install = new computer.

If you really want it to be the same computer, you could restore from a Windows Home Server backup. Obfiously that brings along any baggage from the old OS installation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 1:14 PM
  • I dunno why not. Just because you change a hard drive doesn't mean it's a new PC. What if your drive fails? Why should have to restore from an image for it to be consdered the same machine?

Normally when I do a fresh install of windows I not only do a WHS backup I also make an image using Acronis or now I'm using Paragon. But when installing a new drive it's a good idea to do a fresh install, especially on an SSD to ensure alignment.

Either way, as long as there is a way, I'm happy. :)

Friday, November 5, 2010 11:25 PM