•  

hi, i am a IT Technician, i have had to replace the magor system files:

system

software

sam

security

in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\  folder

with older versions from the system volume information folder

due to them being currupt, but now i am getting 'you have to active your copy of windows xp' (home) on windows logon, but alls it does is start to login then logs off again, and doesnt give me the 'lets activate windows' box, i have tryed going into safe mode and making sure my network connection is enabled to get to the net, but cant even get that far, does the same thing in that direction.

any suggestions would be great, also i cant use the tool because i cant get on to the dcomputer to install and run, i can connect this HDD to another pc easily if there are any suggestions.

many thanks

Edd

Sunday, May 6, 2007 4:28 PM

Answers

• Edd468373,

The procedure you are following, from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us, is guaranteed only to enable you to start the computer in order to retrieve data.

If you cannot log onto the system interactively, then you cannot run any of the typical fixes that might solve the current problem.

IMO your best option is to retrieve the data by slaving the HDD to another computer, then test the system as appropriate to determine if a hardware fault caused the registry corruption, then if and when hardware faults have been cured, do a clean installation of XP.

Monday, May 7, 2007 3:22 PM

All replies

• Edd468373,

The procedure you are following, from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us, is guaranteed only to enable you to start the computer in order to retrieve data.

If you cannot log onto the system interactively, then you cannot run any of the typical fixes that might solve the current problem.

IMO your best option is to retrieve the data by slaving the HDD to another computer, then test the system as appropriate to determine if a hardware fault caused the registry corruption, then if and when hardware faults have been cured, do a clean installation of XP.

Monday, May 7, 2007 3:22 PM
  •  

thanks, this is what i have already done, but i get to the end of part three and when i start windows back up i get the normal windows home login and when i click on my user i get 'you need to activate windows' so click yes, and then looks like its logging in for me to do it, but  then log's off again. and with no way of activating it.

i might try an older version of the config files.

any other suggestions?

i hope to keep this installation of the PC, due to the amount of programs installed.

thanks

Edd

Monday, May 7, 2007 5:05 PM
  •  

thanks, this is what i have already done.

But i get to the end of part three and when i start windows back up i get the normal windows home login and when i click on my user i get 'you need to activate windows' so click yes, and then looks like its logging in for me to do it, but  then log's off again. and with no way of activating it.

i might try an older version of the config files.

any other suggestions?

i hope to keep this installation of the PC, due to the amount of programs installed.

thanks

Edd

Monday, May 7, 2007 5:11 PM
  •  

hi Dan i have already done this as i have explained above, but at part four of the procedure it does not get into windows, and does not give me the option to activate windows.

any other suggestions?

i would like to keep this installation due to the amout install on the PC.

thanks

Edd

Monday, May 7, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Edd468373,

Well, if you changed out all five of the registry hives, depending upon how old the backup/repair hives were will determine how many of the installed programs are still installed.

IOW, if the backup hives were generated as part of the original installation of XP, and then the programs were installed after that, then the backup hives do not "know" anything about the installed programs so it's just like the programs are not installed.

The hives located in the repair folder are only generated/replaced/updated upon installation/reinstallation of the OS or the running of ntbackup with the option of saving the system state.

Monday, May 7, 2007 7:46 PM