Touch Me ! Snom 870 OCS edition IP-Phone - Wow! I am bowled over. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi - Sometime's pictures say more than words! :) The first snom with a TouchScreen. Wow! I am bowled over. You too ?

It will also be available with for 2007 R1 and R2 version of

like this other Snom phones:

<<< it's an 820 - No Touch!

You prefer a white 3xx phone? And you like Green IT / VoIP?
    Ok, why not. :)

Please compare this Power Measurement with your phones! Source is University of Applied Sciences at Frankfurt / Main, Germany.

• You need more Blinking Lamp fields for your receptionist?
    • An high angle footstand option?
    • An wireless EHS (Electronic Hook Switch) solution for popular Headsets (like GN/Jabra, Plantronics) ?

Enjoy :)

^^^ All
    8xx have this built in! No EHS adapter necessary :)

Best regards,
    Jan

Jan Boguslawski | Consultant IT Infrastructure | MCSE, MCTS OCS | ITaCS Berlin | www.itacs.de

Sunday, February 22, 2009 4:21 AM

All replies

• Hi, :)

please note: you can download now a more technical detailed PDF-Document.  including more current info.

Best regards,
    Jan
    Jan Boguslawski | Consultant IT Infrastructure | MCSE, MCTS OCS | ITaCS Berlin | www.itacs.de
    • Edited by Jan Boguslawski Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:48 PM link correction
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 3:45 PM
  •  
    Jan - the phones are impressive.

More impressive is that, (unless I am mistaken), these phones run a LINUX based OS - which means if these phones can connect & register (change presence, etc) with OCS R1 / R2 - then, in theory, another LINUX based device or PC could also do so.

I created some basic software to control Asterisk call queues based on user's presence in OCS.  It's not needed now as OCS R2 has proper call queues - but I learnt some interesting lessons & have been looking for a more professional & easier way to use this kind of intergration for other projects.

I would be extremly interested in understanding how these phones do this - or even getting hold of some sort of basic OCS LINUX based client I could run / change on a server running Asterisk.

Please can I ask you to contact me - padams [>at<] freightliner [>dot<] bc [>dot<] ca

Regards

Paul Adams
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Hey Paul, the snom phones register against OCS natively, and snom used the publically available CLient/Server API documentation for OCS/OC to enable their phones to do it. They didn't receive any special assistance  

You can find lots (LOTS!) of information about the API sets on through the Open API specification page on MSDN.

In particular, you can find all the info to enable a client to register natively with OCS in the Microsoft Office Protocols documentation. In particular, I believe the MS-SIPREGE document has the most important information to enable a third party to register successfully. But you probably would need to look at most of the SIP extensions documents to be able to successfully be a voice enabled endpoint, since there are SRTP extensions, and extensions to a a variety of draft standards (XML Schema for Media Control, Internet Connectivity Establishment with STUN and TURN, etc).

Here's some direct links, for what it's worth.

[MS-SIPAE]: Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Authentication Extensions

The [MS-SIPAE]: Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Authentication Extensions specification defines NT LAN Manager (NTLM) and Kerberos authentication schemes based on general authentication framework guidelines.

[MS-SIPCOMP]: Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Compression Protocol Specification

The [MS-SIPCOMP]: Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Compression Protocol specification defines the negotiation mechanism and compression algorithm used to signal traffic compression between the client and the server.

[MS-SIPRE]: Session Initiation Protocol Routing Extensions

The [MS-SIPRE]: Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Routing Extensions specification defines Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) routing extensions to provide endpoint identification, phone number resolution, call routing processing by server on user's behalf, and enhanced routing within topologies with multiple redundant servers, firewalls, and NAT devices.

[MS-SIPREGE]: Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Registration Extensions

The [MS-SIPREGE]: Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Registration Extensions specification defines the extensions to the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) registration procedure. It also defines the data format and the mechanism to retrieve in-band provisioning data, which are necessary for client sign in.

[MS-SRTP]: Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP) Extensions

The [MS-SRTP]: Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP) Extensions specification defines is a set of extensions to the Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP). SRTP can provide confidentiality, message authentication, and replay protection to Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) traffic and to the RTP control traffic. Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 and Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 use this protocol to secure RTP streams.

[MS-SSRTP]: Scale Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SSRTP) Extensions

The [MS-SSRTP]: Scale Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SSRTP) Extensions specification defines a set of extensions to Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP). It improves performance for situations where a unique Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) payload is distributed to multiple receivers. This protocol differs from SRTP in packet format, encryption parameters, and message authentication processing.

[MS-TURN]: Traversal Using Relay NAT (TURN) Extensions

The [MS-TURN]: Traversal Using Relay NAT (TURN) Extensions specification defines a set of extensions used to enable an endpoint behind a Network Address Translator (NAT) to acquire a globally routable transport address that the endpoint can use to receive data from a peer.

[MS-XMLMC]: XML Schema for Media Control Extensions

The [MS-XMLMC]: XML Schema for Media Control Extensions specification defines a set of extensions to an Internet-Draft Proposal titled XML Schema for Media Control. XML Schema for Media Control specifies media control messages for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) based systems that send or receive video using Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP). The extensions include a new media control command that can be used to suspend transmission of real-time video streams during a multimedia session.

-Duncan
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:49 AM
  • Thank you.  I'm not sure my coding skills or understanding is up to doing this from scratch - but the documents make interesting reading...

Regards

Paul

Friday, February 27, 2009 11:19 PM
  • I agree, they do make very interesting reading, even for me, and I was a member of the OCS E2E scenarion test team and product management team. 

Third parties building devices able to natively register, to use the person centric presence model and the advanced security features at the core of OCS is one of the things Microsoft predicted all along. I expect that snom is just the leading edge of that.

Also, if you're doing any work to build UC applications or integrate presence, voice, video, conferencing, etc, with exisiting non UC apps or environments, OCS is a very powerful and flexible platform, and there are great sample apps and tools to use the APIs, including new WPF samples.

-Duncan

• Edited by Duncan Blake Saturday, February 28, 2009 12:04 AM wasn't quite done.
    Friday, February 27, 2009 11:46 PM
  •  
    Yes - it's very easy to show presence in other apps using OCS.  It did not used to be easy to change presence - but I shall experiment with the new OCS R2 development tools.  I 'dabble' in Visual Basic 2005 / 2008 enough to create small useful apps for my users.

One of the things I'd really like to do is create an automated 'OCS BOT' that logins as a 'room' - such as a boardroom - and maintains correct status for the room - as well as correctly pull calender appointments from Outlook / Exchange & then show status as busy with the details of the meeting.  (The idea is not mine - it came from a posting in the forums here - but I don't think anyone's created an automated app to do it yet).

Anyway - thanks again

Paul Adams
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:10 PM