none
Scroll Bar Obscures Code in Code Block RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• I didn't see a scroll bar on the code snippet (The one with ----- ?) in your second post no matter how thin I resized the browser. Did see a scroll bar in the first post you had there, wasn't obscuring anything.

...Tried with IE 9, Firefox 4 (that's just what I happened to have installed), Opera 11.1 (~latest), Chrome 3.something and SeaMonkey 2.0.6 running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:58 AM
  • In the image below, I pasted the code twice. First I used the Insert Code Block button, and pasted the single line command. The scroll bar hides the entire line. Then I pasted the code a second time, but this time using the Insert HTML button.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:21 PM
  • Testing insert with code block..

dsquery * -Filter "(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(!userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=262144))" -attr displayName name sn

Edit: At no point did the scroll bar obscure the code.

You did not specify the browser you're using or other aspects of your setup... perhaps something uncompatible there. Also, sometimes I've noticed updates to the forum software do not work properly until I clear the browser cache.

Screenshot from IE 9

• Edited by sipla Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:21 PM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:15 PM
  • I'm using IE 9 (version 9.0.8112.16421) on Windows 7 Professional SP1 (version 6.1.7601). Yesterday I fixed a problem where the back button continually returned me to a version of "My Threads" from several days ago by restarting the computer.

In the last few days I've seen several old problems crop up in the forums. I had this same problem with the scroll bar repeated this morning in another thread. I also notice that when I use Insert HTML to insert code, the editor strips out my style specification (I specify a fixed-width font and a grey border) after I submit. This happened a few months ago, was corrected, and now the behaviour has returned. I conclude that the forum editor keeps getting updates, which are not explained. I continually need to modify my code that converts text into HTML to work around the strange behavior.

What I see now is consistent with my browser getting an old version of the forum editor from months ago. This is all very frustrating to me. Most of my replies include code and the formatting is important to me. I am not an IE expert. I have no idea if there is anything I can do on my end to ensure a consistent experience. If what I see is different from what others see, I can't hope to fix it.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:15 PM
  • The issue with the scroll bar may be related to my browser, or some setting on my computer. I see the same problem in old threads from over a year ago. One line code snippets are obscured by the scroll bar, where I'm sure they were not until recently. However, something definitely changed between April 20 and April 24. In this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/6c6e89e0-03d9-4d88-bca5-dffd988c2996

my reply of April 20 has code shown in a fixed width font with a gray border. But my reply of April 24 (using the same program to convert text to html) displays the code in a proportional font and no border. This cannot be a browser issue. The forum editor is again stripping out my style specification. This last happened in February. The fix then was to no longer specify a border, but the problem went away in late February so I restored the border.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:56 PM
  • In many of the Transact-SQL threads the scroll bar obscures part of the code and I had to scroll to see it completely. For my own messages I have to edit my message to insert carriage returns in the code in order for it to be fully shown.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:56 PM
  • I seem to have been the only person with this problem. I saw other threads where people commented on code I could not see (because it was blocked for me by the scroll bar). Now, sometime during the day today, the problem was "fixed" for me. I did nothing. I didn't restart IE or my computer, but now when I view the same threads the scroll bar no longer blocks the last line of code in the code block.

I saw this same problem in February, when several other people also complained about it. At that time it seemed to get fixed for each of us over time.

My theory: I somehow got connected to a Microsoft server that served me an old version of code used to view threads. I believe this is related to an update to the forums (not announced). I say that because I've noticed a few other subtle differences in the last few days. In particular, my HTML is now rendered differently, where my specification of a border makes my style ignored. I also experienced this in the past, so I know how to workaround it.

Friday, April 27, 2012 9:41 PM
  • I do still have Scroll bar problem - in many of the threads I can not see the whole code and had to scroll or guess.

My blog

Friday, April 27, 2012 10:15 PM
  • In my case, I could not scroll to see the code. The scroll bar itself completely obscured the last line of the code. If the code was one line long, there was nothing I could do to view the code (actually, if you know how, you could copy the entire code block to the clipboard and paste it somewhere). When it happened to me, I edited my reply to post the code a second time using Insert HTML, to make sure it was visible).

Now that I seem to have gotten updated code to render the forum replies, I still have the scroll bar (if the code has long lines), but I can see it by scrolling. I agree this is also annoying.

Friday, April 27, 2012 10:43 PM
  • Is this still an issue? I can't repro. Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, May 11, 2012 11:34 PM
    Owner
  • It cleared up for awhile, but it has been an issue for me for about the last week. I still have the problem now. Per this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/c4148dc5-ba07-4e81-b100-0a415088dd76

Brent Serbus says it is a known issue. Usually I seem to be the only person that cannot read the code. I know to copy the thread to notepad, where I can see the code. My theory is that I sometimes get old forum code from a server.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 1:40 AM
  • It cleared up for awhile, but it has been an issue for me for about the last week. I still have the problem now. Per this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/c4148dc5-ba07-4e81-b100-0a415088dd76

Brent Serbus says it is a known issue. Usually I seem to be the only person that cannot read the code. I know to copy the thread to notepad, where I can see the code. My theory is that I sometimes get old forum code from a server.

Sounds good. If it's a known issue then it's logged and will be taken care of when possible. Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Saturday, May 12, 2012 5:38 PM
    Owner
  • You're not the only person. SQLUSA has the same problem. There should be a thread on this topic in this forum (originally posted in T-SQL forum, but I moved it here).

My blog

Sunday, May 13, 2012 2:40 AM