none
How do I replace the WHS system drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering how I could do this without losing data. I want to replace my 320GB system drive with a 1.5 TB drive. When I try to install onto the new drive it only gives me the option to set up a new server which will delete all my information >4TB. This is obviously not acceptable. Can I copy the information off of the old system drive onto a new one and then just pop it in... this seems too simple. I just want to make sure I don't accidentally screw up and lose my data.

Thanks
    Friday, November 14, 2008 3:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    you know, that these new drives still have some problems which make them not first choice as a drive in WHS?

Other than that, you should be fine, if you physically replace the original drive with the new drive on the same connector. (Check the D: drive on the server before, if it holds data, you should use a tool like LZreallocator to trigger the transfer of this date to one of the other data drives.)

Another issue may be, that the drive is not recognized at all during the setup stage due to a lack mass storage of drivers.
    Either run the controller in IDE compatibility mode or supply SATA mass storage drivers during the initial setup stage.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 14, 2008 7:35 AM
  • I am having a very similar problem. I'm trying to replace a failing 500GB SATA hard drive with a WD 2TB SATA drive and run a "server reinstall", which seems to work, but none of the data drives are seen as data drives, they are seen as disks not added to the storage pool. I really have tried just about everything except the "registry entry  trick" so far. Right now, I'm copying all of my data (3TB) from the server to another disk (2, actually), then I'll do a fresh server install with the new SATA drives, then recreate all of my shares and copy the 3TB of data over the network back to the server. Overall, I've been very happy with WHS over the past 4 years or so I've had it, but this is the end of the road. The inability to "seamlessly" replace a failed system drive is a showstopper for me and I will be looking for a suitable replacement for the WHS solution ASAP.
    Art Zasadny
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 3:09 PM