switched from HOME TO PRO RRS feed

• Question

• WITH OUT MY CONCENT THEY PUT PRO ON MY COMPUTER INSTEAD OF USING MY CD WHICH I GAVE HIM IN ORDER TO FOR HIM TO REPAIR MY COMPUTER. I AM IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY WHERE ALL THEY THINK IS AMERICA HAS MONEY AND THEY HAVE NOTHING BUT CD HERE WHICH ARE UNNAMED AND UNLICENSED I AM A STUPID AMERICAN WHO BELIEVED WHEN I HAND THE MAN THE CD I HAD FOR THE RESTORE OF MY COMPUTER THAT HE WOULD USE THEM SO I NOW HAVE TO PAY ON TOP OF THE REPAIR THE PRICE OF NEW SOFTWARE NO I WANT TO REFORM MY COMPUTER AND PUT IT BACK TO HOME I DON'T LIKE PRO I WAS COMFORTABLE WITH HOME AND NOW I AM MAD AS HELL I AM SITTING IN A COUNTRY WHICH SAYS INSHALLAH MEANING GOD WILLING HAS PUT ME IN THIS POSITION WAKE UP WORLD QUIT STEALING

HOW DO I DO THIS AGAIN TO RESTORE MY SYSTEM WITHOUT THE 4 TH DISK HE FORGOT TO GIVE ME BACK

PLUS ON TOP OF ALL THIS MY HUSBAND IS IN IRAQ HELPING THE IRAQI PEOPLE TRY TO SOLVE THERE PROBLEM AND THEN I GET THIS ONE HERE I HAVE NEVER NEVER USED SOFTWARE I DIDN'T PAY FOR. I AM ASHAMED THEY DID THIS.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 9:35 PM

Answers

• FatmahEsther,

This has happened many times according to what posters have indicated. Do you have all of the Reinstallation Recovery Software CDs which came with your computer system? You do have options. You can go back to the business where the system was taken for service and request them to reformat using your software. Recently I have seen several posts from people who have become victims. First, I want you to run a diagnostic test in order for us to analyze the results. If you are a victim, I will provide information for you to file a piracy report. Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) and Window Genuine Advantage  is here to help and protect YOU our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report a piracy case who have become a victim.

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1. Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.
    2. Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1. After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.
    2. Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA and WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 11:14 PM
  • sitting here looking at that stupid star icon reminding me every second i have a copy of windows which is not my own and i am so mad. my husbands in iraq and i don't want to tell him stupid man put a copy of windows on our computer which is a pro when we have home edition and i am awaiting this stupid man cause he has the second of the 4 cds i have from the orginal installation which i gave him in order for him to enable my computer to work within a network in our home which home is fully capable of doing and i am just not going to purchase the number when i have a full version which belongs on this computer but its not here cause i trusted someone else to do what i normally do but can't cause the configuration for the adsl just wasn't as simple as in the states and my family here is just confused that i would be upset because i don't have an orginal cd version on my computer but they don't go on the internet and update and look around the internet and they don't know about the code on which i live by i worked in the industry and i saw it and i know how valuable a geniun version is and why the idiot put it on is beyond me but i just need a couple of more days until he comes back and then i am going to give him a piece of my american mind. please i am afraid if windows just stops working it will just kill me cause right now my husband is working in iraq and is also experiencing kidney stones i need to be able to get in touch with him and him with me and i have to keep this system this way just a couple of more days i just hope that is posssible.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:45 PM
  • FatmahEsther,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thursday, June 7, 2007 8:21 PM
  • FatmahEsther,

Please go back to the location who serviced your machine and request your original software back. You paid for a service which seems the store didn't service your computer correctly. You can hold them responsible and also file a piracy report if they installed pirated software on your system. 

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Formum Manager

Thursday, June 7, 2007 8:22 PM

All replies

• FatmahEsther,

This has happened many times according to what posters have indicated. Do you have all of the Reinstallation Recovery Software CDs which came with your computer system? You do have options. You can go back to the business where the system was taken for service and request them to reformat using your software. Recently I have seen several posts from people who have become victims. First, I want you to run a diagnostic test in order for us to analyze the results. If you are a victim, I will provide information for you to file a piracy report. Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) and Window Genuine Advantage  is here to help and protect YOU our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report a piracy case who have become a victim.

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1. Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.
    2. Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1. After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.
    2. Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 11:14 PM
  • sitting here looking at that stupid star icon reminding me every second i have a copy of windows which is not my own and i am so mad. my husbands in iraq and i don't want to tell him stupid man put a copy of windows on our computer which is a pro when we have home edition and i am awaiting this stupid man cause he has the second of the 4 cds i have from the orginal installation which i gave him in order for him to enable my computer to work within a network in our home which home is fully capable of doing and i am just not going to purchase the number when i have a full version which belongs on this computer but its not here cause i trusted someone else to do what i normally do but can't cause the configuration for the adsl just wasn't as simple as in the states and my family here is just confused that i would be upset because i don't have an orginal cd version on my computer but they don't go on the internet and update and look around the internet and they don't know about the code on which i live by i worked in the industry and i saw it and i know how valuable a geniun version is and why the idiot put it on is beyond me but i just need a couple of more days until he comes back and then i am going to give him a piece of my american mind. please i am afraid if windows just stops working it will just kill me cause right now my husband is working in iraq and is also experiencing kidney stones i need to be able to get in touch with him and him with me and i have to keep this system this way just a couple of more days i just hope that is posssible.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:45 PM
  • FatmahEsther,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thursday, June 7, 2007 8:21 PM
  • FatmahEsther,

Please go back to the location who serviced your machine and request your original software back. You paid for a service which seems the store didn't service your computer correctly. You can hold them responsible and also file a piracy report if they installed pirated software on your system. 

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Formum Manager

Thursday, June 7, 2007 8:22 PM
  • i have the cd that when i purchased the computer back in 2005 that i had to create from the system it didn't come with it but i could only make one copy which i did i still have them i gave them to the man here and told him this is what i wanted it has all the software i use it has nero and all the other things which came with my emachine T3985 i know the number which is printed on the back pro and home look the same there is nothing which told when when he brought it back that it wasn't mine until i started to get back into it i noticed things weren't right and i had my brother in law call him cause i don't speak the language good and i am missing one cd i can't start the reformate of my computer and then i have to go back to the problem of my setup on the internet again. its a big mess and i am so upset cause i have that stupid icon on my computer its making upset and nervous that i will loss my computer which only connection i have with my husband right now.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 8:55 PM
  • FatmahEsther,

Please ask your brother-in-law to assist you and visit the store who performed the repair on your computer. If I am understanding you correctly the version of Windows isn't the version you took to the repair shop and now you can't pass the Windows Genuine Advantage diagnostic. 

Another alternative is please contact eMachine thru their website @ http://www.emachines.com/support/options.html. The Technical Support number is located in the United States @ (408) 273-0888. There may be other phone numbers you may contact if you live overseas.  Explain your situation and establish a service request (SR) for Reinstallation Recovery Software CDs.  The CS agent should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. Also you may need to seek another repair shop to restore your hard drive. 

Please copy and past the diagnostic report here in the forum for us to analyze. Basically it sounds like the software the repair shop installed is non-genuine but I can't tell until you provide a copy of the diagnostic results. My previous post provided directions on how to run the report as well as submit a piracy report. 

Thank you
    Stephen Holm

Thursday, June 7, 2007 11:27 PM