none
WHS Console Blocked: HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.dll RRS feed

• Question

• On my HP MediaSmart Server I am suddenly getting the message "The WHS Console cannot open because the following file is blocking it HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.dll".  This happens when I Remote Desktop in or using the Console Software on a desktop linking to the server.

I just bypass it and the console actually does open but the "choose languages" icon comes up on the screen by itself - not sure why. 
    I have removes any add-ins except PV Connect and rebooted and it still comes up.

The Console seems to work but I am wondering if this is an issue and if I can get rid of this message.  Help.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:54 PM

Answers

• It looks like this issue was discussed in the past. Check out this post.

As painful as it sounds looks like most people fixed it by reinstalling. However the last thread in the post indicates that at least one person got around it by clicking No instead of Yes...

Stan Cockman said:

...  At the next HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.dll dialog that popped up, instead of clicking Yes, I clicked No and the console loaded.  Subsequent loads of the console did not show the dialog...

• Marked as answer by ColdCanadian Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:56 AM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 9:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This usually indicates a corrupted file, possibly by an Add-In install/uninstall.
    I'm afraid the only safe answer is to do a server re-install. This isn't a problem and the HP units come with full instructions on how to accomplish it. The one thing to note though, is to allow the process to complete all the way through until you get the 'Welcome' screen, the reason for saying this, is that the last portion on the re-install does all the rebuilding of the tombstones etc to your data and it can appear that the server is stalled or finished, but in fact it isn't.

Good luck,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:14 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response Colin - I'll give it a try tonight and let you know how it goes. 
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:26 PM
  • I am having sort of the same issue. I have the Storage.dll blocked instead. I saw this issue and remedy in the forum and performed the reinstall but as soon as I run the updater and attempt to connect I am getting the same thing.

It is not an addin as I did not load any after the reinstall and there are portions of the console that don't appear. ALL I get now is computer & Backups, user Accounts, Shared Folders, and network health. When I open the settings all I see are the backup, passwords, and media Sharing tabs.

I can't even add my new hard drives.

Friday, January 23, 2009 7:00 AM
  • It looks like this issue was discussed in the past. Check out this post.

As painful as it sounds looks like most people fixed it by reinstalling. However the last thread in the post indicates that at least one person got around it by clicking No instead of Yes...

Stan Cockman said:

...  At the next HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.dll dialog that popped up, instead of clicking Yes, I clicked No and the console loaded.  Subsequent loads of the console did not show the dialog...

• Marked as answer by ColdCanadian Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:56 AM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Thanks to those who responded.  As it turned out I did not do the reinstall as I got too busy with my backyard rink over the past week (that's what Cold Canadians do when its minus 20C).  

Upon re-reading the thread I came across the "click No"option.   For some reason that never occurred to me.  It just seemed counter-intuitive.

But it worked! So far so good.  All seems to be functioning well with the HP MediaSmart Server.  This is one great machine.  I did the RAM and CPU Upgrades and its humming.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:01 AM
  • FYI, I had this problem for the Storage tab (I think it was).  I searched the registry for the dll in question (i.e. "HomeServerConsoleTab.Health") and found an entry that was specifically blocking it.  I just renamed the entry, and rebooted.  All is well so far. 

I do not know exactly why it was blocked in the first place, but I was at the end of recovering from drive identification issue on the Storage tab.  Maybe it detected the fix/change I made and threw this up as a warning of sorts.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:12 PM
  • Thanks to all.  I received HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.dll blocking notice also. It did occur after failed addin install/uninstall.  I lost my "Backup" tab when i clicked yes a couple of times.  I was 5 minutes short of a server reinstall when i saw your advice to click NO instead of yes.  Thankfully a lot of time saved and the alert is no longer popping up  :-]
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 9:18 PM