Rumor Control - Server Backups RRS feed

• Question

• I've heard there is a new Server Backup in the works.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

BullDawg
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:11 AM

All replies

• I certainly hope you are correct.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Well now, this reminds me of the stuff that starts before a new OS is released. At least this used to happen in the old beta days!

I would like to see the "new" server backup, that would be great, but then again, defining "new" and what "new" would do, you know.

--
    Don
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:07 AM
  • Well, if one is to believe the speculation on the Win8 timeline (RTM as early as April with Launch in early Autumn), then a new server version could be out next year also.

And the "new" I referred to was a backup that is not limited to 2TB and would allow disk spanning.  Set it up once and then forget it.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I would like to see the "new" server backup, that would be great, but then again, defining "new" and what "new" would do, you know.

--
    Don

BullDawg
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:52 AM
  • Really? Where? I haven't heard anything of the sort, and spreading unfounded rumors isn't exactly smart.

What I can say: It's likely that the next version of Windows Home Server et al. will be based on the Windows 8 code base, so if there's a new server backup in Windows 8 (other than the file history backup that's all over the net) it stands to reason that it would be included in a future version of Windows Home Server. But that future version is likely to be at least a couple of years away.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:30 AM
  • A rumor by definition is unfounded.  I titled the post "Rumor Control."  What can I say?

Remove the thread if you desire.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Really? Where? I haven't heard anything of the sort, and spreading unfounded rumors isn't exactly smart.

What I can say: It's likely that the next version of Windows Home Server et al. will be based on the Windows 8 code base, so if there's a new server backup in Windows 8 (other than the file history backup that's all over the net) it stands to reason that it would be included in a future version of Windows Home Server. But that future version is likely to be at least a couple of years away.

BullDawg
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:51 PM
  • A rumor by definition is unfounded.  I titled the post "Rumor Control."  What can I say?

Please at least provide a link to your source. :) 

Unless this is a stealth request for Microsoft to change the way server backup works, in which case I'll point you to Connect. I don't think you'll see a significant change in server backup in this version, though. The limitations of the .vhd file as backup device are well known, but unfortunately not exactly easy to correct. I doubt that the Windows Server 2008 R2 sustained engineering team is going to burn a lot of time on reinventing the wheel, given that most enterprises use enterprise backup software/hardware/strategies.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Ken,

Look at the comment by Sean (quoted below)

"Posted by Microsoft on 3/2/2011 at 2:42 PM
    Hi DVDLuvver,

At this time we can only back up to 1 single 2 TB disk. We realize the limitation and are working with the Core Windows team to fix this. Hopefully it's something we can provide in future releases. For now you have to pick your critical data.

Sean"

Then there is another bug

with this comment by Microsoft.

"Posted by Microsoft on 2/17/2011 at 9:06 PM
    Yes, we do this in setup today and if you add a drive larger >2TB then our server storage UI will force the partitions to be less than 2TB.

If the drive is larger than 2TB and it fills with data that you want to backup it is challenging to resolve that after the face. Probably not for you but for a lot of folks it would be challenging.

the next version of windows server backup is solving this issue in the windows 8 server timeframe."

There is also info in the NDA Partner feedback...but I won't quote or post links for there.

And yes, you might want to consider this a stealth request, but there are already a significant number of bugs on Connect for server backup for which I have up voted.  In addition, I have also "heard" some verbal chatter on something going on with server backup in addition to the FAQ (registry hack) posted on TechNet.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Please at least provide a link to your source. :) 

Unless this is a stealth request for Microsoft to change the way server backup works, in which case I'll point you to Connect. I don't think you'll see a significant change in server backup in this version, though. The limitations of the .vhd file as backup device are well known, but unfortunately not exactly easy to correct. I doubt that the Windows Server 2008 R2 sustained engineering team is going to burn a lot of time on reinventing the wheel, given that most enterprises use enterprise backup software/hardware/strategies.

BullDawg
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 6:16 PM
  • On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 18:16:38 +0000, BullDawg wrote:

And yes, you might want to consider this a stealth request, but there are already a significant number of bugs on Connect for server backup for?which I have up voted.? In addition, I have also "heard" some verbal chatter on something going on with server backup in addition to the FAQ (registry hack)?posted on TechNet.
    ?
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/faq-for-windows-home-and-small-business-server-backup.aspx

I don't think that anyone doubts that Microsoft is looking to overcome the
    current limitation in Server Backup. However, since Windows Server Backup
    is coupled to the underlying OS you're not going to see a new version of
    Windows Server Backup until the next release of Windows Server (Windows
    Server 8). Microsoft is not going to release an updated version of Windows
    Server Backup that you can plug into either Windows Server 2008 R2 or WHS
    2011 which is how I read your initial post in this thread.

As for the above reg hack, all it really does is let you work around what I
    consider to be a bug in the Server Backup UI in WHS 2011 (the WHS backup
    UI, not the core Windows Server Backup UI). Currently, if you have a drive
    on your WHS server that is larger than 2 TB you can't even select that
    drive in order to manually pick and choose which files and folders you want
    to include in the backup, while you can with the underlying Windows Server
    Backup UI. You should be able to do so in both UIs as long as the total to
    be backed up stays under 2 TB. That's the behaviour that the reg change
    enables.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Every program in development at MIT expands until it can read mail.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 6:41 PM
  • ... the next version of windows server backup is solving this issue in the windows 8 server timeframe. ...

As Paul and I have both said, you should not look for an update that will change this behavior in this version of the product. As for "in the windows 8 server timeframe" that probably means 2013-2014, because you also shouldn't look for a new version of Windows Home Server in much under 3 years from this version's RTM.

What would be possible, but probably isn't desirable from a consumer usability point of view, would be a more direct exposure of the underlying wbadmin functionality. It would be possible, for instance, to create a "wizard" which would really just ask you what disk you want to use as a backup target, what folders/drives you want to back up to it, and configure a scheduled task that would run a wbadmin command line to trigger the backup. The way it works right now, you're configuring the "default" backup that the GUI available through server manager configures.

I say this wouldn't be desirable for consumers because exposing lots of additional controls that way is against the Windows Home Server design principles, which include keeping the UI simple, and never offering users an option if the server can make an intelligent decision. For most users, one backup task that's backing up everything to a single drive is the intelligent decision to make, so that's what you get by default. Users with extremely large amounts of data are left out in the cold, unfortunately.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 3:38 PM