Movies freezing since installing PP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I rip movies in the VOB format to the share/video folder.  I have always watched these movies on my Vista Ultimate VMC 32bit machine in another room.  No problems with this till I installed PP1.  Now the movies will freeze and I mean tight.  Have to hook up the keyboard to the Vista machine and three finger salute just to get out.  Sometimes if I wait it drops back to movie collector which is the program I use to launch the movie.  No errors are generated in event viewer.  Both are Dell Optiplex gx280.  All are run through a gigbit switch.  The server runs cat 6 cable and the Vista machine cat 5e.  About 250 movies are in the share folder.

When I copy the same movie from the server to the Documents folder and launch it from there it plays fine.

Like I said ... before installing PP1 all movies viewed fine.

Where do I need to check from here? Scratching my head.
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 11:46 AM

All replies

• Wanted to add this only occurs on the 2 VMC boxes.  32 & 64 bit.  The MCE2005 has no problems.  And again this was after installing PP1.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Please submit a bug report on Connect, with logs from your server and affected clients.
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:05 PM
  • I would Ken but when I upgraded to Search 4.0 it seems to have taken care of the movies hanging.  Weird

Friday, June 27, 2008 5:28 PM
  • I thought this problem was over.  I had watched 3 movies with no problems.  Last night the lock up occured again.  The movie freezes and VMC stops responding. It takes 2 ctrl-alt-del's to get back to the desktop.  I copied the movie to the Vista machine I was watching it on and no problems.   I also deleted the movie from the server and copied it back to try again and it locked up after a few minutes.  Would it be possible for me to try the new build to see if it fixes this?  I noticed another poster said this fixed his movie problems.

Bug report submitted!

Sunday, July 6, 2008 12:11 PM
  • It has happened again after adding 3 more movies to the server.  I managed to get to the server to check the event logs and the only thing that occured was in the System folder and it had to do with Volume Shadow Copy which I thought I had turned off.  The system folder is full of start stops for this service.  I really would like to try the new build.  If not I'm going to have to uninstall pp1 and wait for finished release.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 8:24 PM
  • The pic in the post before this one and the pic below are what I am seeing in the event viewer.  Both services are starting and stopping quite often.  Is this normal?  I have turned VSC off per Ken's how to post awhile back.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 6:49 PM