Data Migration Tool - Return Character In Notes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to use the Data Migration Tool to import Notes into MS CRM. The tool doesn't like the return characters used in the Notes in the CSV file. Is there a simple fix? i.e. replace the unrecognized return character with a recognised one?

I would expect there to nearly always be return characters in notes no?

Thanks,

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 3:19 PM

Answers

• Yoh, Kay!

However frustrating this issue may be, it is not as bad as it looks.  So, go ahead, substitute all those CRs with an intermediate character (we used "").  Once the notes are imported into CRM, it is merely a matter of writing a simple SQL query that will turn all those nasty ¶s into carriage returns, and voilà!

Let us know if this worked for you,

Ricardo Talbot

IRISCO.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 2:36 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:34 AM
  • Imran, I guess Alex's question was actually: "How do you import Notes that contain Carriage Return characters into CRM?"

I'm stuck with the same problem.  everything works fine when the notes have single-line comments.  But whenever the CRM 4.0 Data Migration Manager encounters a carriage return character in the CSV import file, it interprets it as an end-of-record character, and skips all the remaining lines for that note until the next valid Note record.

Any ideas in this?

Thnanks,

Ricardo.

Monday, April 7, 2008 3:21 PM
  • Hi Guys, I also have exactly the same problem.  I know that the csv file can be processed before importing into CRM where the "offending" characters are replaced by something less offensive like a space of caret, but that defeats the purpose of having a necely-formatted multi-line description or notes field in the first place.

So please, you CRM experts out there - is there a solution?  I am sure there must be more users looking to do this apparently simple task!

Regards,

Kay

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:08 AM
  • Yoh, Kay!

However frustrating this issue may be, it is not as bad as it looks.  So, go ahead, substitute all those CRs with an intermediate character (we used "").  Once the notes are imported into CRM, it is merely a matter of writing a simple SQL query that will turn all those nasty ¶s into carriage returns, and voilà!

Let us know if this worked for you,

Ricardo Talbot

IRISCO.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 2:36 PM
  • Thanks for that Ricardo.  I was hoping to avoid the extra work and that Microsoft would provide a solution to what I consider to be a bug with CRM data import.  After all, it cannot be that uncommon for CRM users to want to import multi-line text formatted into neat paragraphs into the system.

I have raised a ticket with CRM Support but if, like with a previous issue I raised, I don't get a response in 2 weeks, then I'll start working on the workaround.  Thanks again for your input.

Regards

Kay

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 12:28 PM
  • The common workaround suggested by several CRM users for importing text fields which contain the CRLF character appears to be to replace this character with some other very rare character, import the data and then run a SQL update query to change this rare character back to a CRLF.

After tinkering around a bit, I have come up with an easier way: simply replace CRLF with a CR (Ascii 13).  I have only tested this with the Bulk Data Import wizard in CRM 4.0 but the data imports OK and is displayed correctly formatted in CRM.

Monday, June 23, 2008 1:36 PM
  • Hi Kay, thanks for posting! I have a few questions regarding your solution, can you clarify exactly how to enter CR(Ascii 13)? Are there spaces or not?

Also, what tool did you use to do the replace? I'm finding it difficult to do a replace on only the CRLF's within a column and NOT replace the end of a row. Any advice on how you accomplished this would be great!

Monday, June 30, 2008 9:11 PM
  • I just used VBA; VB Script will also work the same way.

This is the generic string replacement function I used:

Function ReplaceNewlines(inText As String, inReplacement As String) As String
    Dim sReplaced As String

sReplaced = Replace(Trim(inText), vbCrLf, inReplacement)
      sReplaced = Replace(sReplaced, vbLf, inReplacement)
      ReplaceNewlines = sReplaced

End Function

Call the function by passing in the VBA constant vbCr which is Chr(13).
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 8:21 AM