Can World Wide Telescope view satellites? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently saw a video where Microsoft Kinect was combined with WWT. What really facinated me was that he had somehow added satellites and their orbit marked with green sircles. Once I saw it I knew I had to find out how he did this. Unfortunately I didn't figure out how to do it.

And yes, I have read the previous post about the satellites, where the answer was to find TLE files and use them to make a orbita layer over earth.

I found the files (I think) here: http://www.tle.info/data/weather.txt

But I have no idea how to use them. And what am I supposed to do with the files once I have them?

I really hope that you can answer me this question.

Thanks

• Edited by Logichy Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:29 PM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:49 AM

Answers

• Right click on the layer in the layer manager and set the color to green, and the opacity to something less than 100%.

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by Logichy Friday, February 3, 2012 3:37 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:16 AM

All replies

• Ok, so I figured out how to deal with it. But I still have one question. On the video the lines appear like they're some sort of glowing. They're just not completely green, for instance. How do I apply that effect?

This is how I did it. (Please tell me if I did something wrong etc)

*I found the data

*Saved them as .tle files.

*Opened them in layer manager

*Got the result (without the effect)

If you know how to enable the effect, please let me know

Thanks

Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:46 PM
  • Right click on the layer in the layer manager and set the color to green, and the opacity to something less than 100%.

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by Logichy Friday, February 3, 2012 3:37 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:16 AM
  • Thanks Jonathan and Logichy,  that worked to get some satellites into WWT for me as well.

Hint: to get an accurate shadow for the eclipse make sure "Planet Size" slider is at Actual.

Friday, January 27, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Thanks, that helped alot!
    • Edited by Logichy Friday, February 3, 2012 3:38 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 3:38 PM